How many Pushups can you do

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seviko, Aug 13, 2010.

1. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

Sad thing is I have no motivation for it.

2. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

meh thats cool too.

3. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

Hmm just a thought: why the huge emphasis on push ups?
    Have you ever tried a kettlebell? Its like a canonball with a handle and it comes in all kinds of weights.

Incredible allround fitness in your backyard but get hold of an qualified kettlebell instructor so you learn it right.

4. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

yes i do a kettlebell workout now at my gym to gear up for shodan. and there's a perfectly good explaination for you question. i'm dirt poor, and my thinking is why spend money i don't have on weights then i have a huge weight i can through around for free?

5. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

OK, fair enough. Sorry about that, hope your situation improves.

6. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

I used to be able to do almost 50 in 30 seconds. I have no idea what my max is.

In a normal class now, we do anywhere from 50 to a hundred pushups in sets of 10 to 25.

I love that we do pushups. I have fairly weak arms for a big dude.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Like ten. Maybe fifteen.

8. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

I'm bored, can't sleep and remembered this thread, so just tried... got 184.

Not exactly 'fresh' though. its 1am, i worked from 6am til 1pm today (paving) then went to the gym this afternoon for my squats/deads session. i'll try again in a couple days,and i want at least 200 next time! haha

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Max was like 65-70 in one go, but I did several sets a day.

Now I can only do 40-45 in one go, I am focusing mostly on my conditioning, cardio, and endurance as of right now and working on core strength more than arm/leg strength.

Doing a lot of crunches, and well thousands of Thai roundhouses a day. I will go back to doing more upper body training once everything else has improved. My punching power still feels the same if not better than when I was able to do more pushups so meh....

10. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

11. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

2 rounds of 200 with 1 minute break in-between.

As punishment for calling petty officer "sir"

12. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

About 80 on a good day at a stretch with no pause. it varies though, some times lower, sometimes higher, usually lower.

13. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

About 80 on a good day at a stretch with no pause. it varies though, some times lower, sometimes higher, usually lower.

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Used to be able to do about 70 with no pause, back when I did a lot of press ups.

Now probably about 40 as I don't do them alot.

Funny thing is I'm now in much much better fighting shape than I was back then :eek:

15. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

We usualy do;
    1 push up
    1 sit up
    1 squat kick then
    2 etc all the way to 15.. you can do the math :)
    No short movements either, must be full movement or we repeat!

16. Sentnl

Sentnl Valued Member

Pyramids, I really like these, I'm not sure about doing multiple exercises in the same pyramid though...

I've been doing to 12 and back, with proper form, about 2 seconds per pushup, 15 seconds in between "rounds" = 156 pushups.

In sets of 25-30ish regular I can do about 90 1min inbetween, then it's less for close grip/wide grip. I've used weights maybe 5 times in my life.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Pyramids of alternating exercises are great, as then you can usually end up doing more of both. My wife and I did a workout together the other day where we started at 25 push-ups and 50 crunches, then the next round was 24 push-ups and 48 crunches, and so on down to 1 push-up and 2 crunches (a reverse pyramid basically), totaling 325 push-ups and 650 crunches. With just doing push-ups, I may have only been able to manage about half that.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Your wife is clearly a badass.

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

She did have to drop down on her knees for some but yes, my wife is a pretty tough lady. Once our son is in school she wants to take up Judo. She originally wanted to try Muay Thai but decided she would probably literally kill someone if they hit her in the face.

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

45, it seems :(