High intensity exercise without running?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by New Guy, May 15, 2011.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

My foot is kind of injured and I can't really even walk fast let alone running. So I had to take all training off for the time being. I do minimal weight training as long as it doesn't really involve moving around, anything that I can sit or lie down like bench press and shoulder press etc...

But I am dropping all cardio which doesn't feel good. Are there any high intensity cardio exercise I can do without using my foot, as I can't run at all till my foot recovers.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Swimming comes to mind.

You can still do all of the fartlec, interval and tabata workouts you could when you were running, but without the impact.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Rowing. I always use the erg for my lifting day warmups, usually 1km but if I was doing it specifically for cardio as I was last year anything from 3-5km. If you find it monotonous try upping the pace on the last 200m of each km

4. Osu,

One legged burpees... :D:D

Osu!

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I love swimming but it is freezing cold here in Australia. :(

I guess I can only do rowing.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Indoor pools? I thought you guys has a swimming culture is Aus'.

7. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

well I just live here, don't pay much attention to the culture... I don't watch the footy nor do I drive a ford or holden. :p

indoor pools are still damn cold, even in the cooler times in summer!! :eek:

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Bike riding might be a possibility, depending on how the foot is injured.

If you want to do an upper body HIT routine: rounds of chin-ups, pushups, supine rows, light-weight barbell bench / overhead press / dips, etc. for higher reps and short rests may work well. When I injured my back a while ago I shifted all my training to upper-body and still got a reasonable workout in.

LOL @ Fred. You're a funny guy. :)

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Try Battling Ropes. If you don't know of a place that has them, 50 feet of 1.5" thick rope is not that expensive. If you are into high intensity workouts you will love this. Search on Google or Youtube if you have not seen it before.