Help me create my workout :)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by raver, Jul 5, 2012.

1. raver

raver New Member

Hi all,

From what i've read so far, this seems a place where people really do know what they're talking about, so here i am, a fresh registrant asking for your help in my ongoing quest :)

First off, i'm close to 28 years old, with a height of 1.75m . In January this year i weighed in at 90 kg, mostly fat :)
    So far, by dieting and some exercise (mostly HIIT in the past months) i'm somewhere between 73-76kg, depending on natural weight fluctuations. My problem so far has been a) a general lack of fitness, which i believe i have somewhat overcome and b) lazyness, as i usually do two training sessions per week.
    But starting this month i plan on doing almost daily workouts, even two per day where time allows.
    I need your help to create a 5day workout plan for this month.
    My goals are: drop some more fat and increase my lean mass.

The only equipment i have are two adjustable dumbells (each has 10kg max) and the floor. Please don't suggest pullups as i don't have a bar where i am currently staying and no appropriate substitute (and the fact that i can only do 3 bums me out :D )

Now, work wise:
    I have created/combined a 10 exercise superset to do 3 times a week:
    It consists of:
    Dumbell hang pulls
    Bicep curls
    Goblet squat/push press (meaning after the squat, i puss the dumbell up)
    Plank to pushups
    Bentover rows (both arms)
    Dumbell swing (both arms)
    Burpees
    Alternating Back lunges with weights in hands
    T pushups (without dumbells, as i don't have the hexagonal model)
    Dumbell Chops

I execute these as : 40s workout, 20s break. Pause at end until i catch my breath then repeat 2-3, and sometime in the future, 4 times.
    This is inspired and uses exercises from the Men's health Spartacus workouts.

So this goes on on: Mondays, Wednsdays and Fridays.
    Now, i want to use from the P90X system the Yoga X, Kenpo X and Cardio X dvds.
    So on Monday i'll do My Spartacus + Kenpo X.
    On Tuesday i do Yoga.
    On Wedsnday Spartacus + Cardio X.
    On Friday Spartacus.

I have a shoulder injury which prevents me from using heavy weights.

My question would be: What to add on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday?
    I want Mon Wed and Fri to have HIRT + Cardio, and Flexibility + Cardio in the other days.

Trouble is, i'm out of ideas.
    Any help please? :)

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Get the shoulder looked at before you start exercising it. Go to a physiotherapist and stick to the rehab program.

Until that's fixed just work on cardio and lower body fitness. I too have experienced shoulder injuries and you need to getnit sorted out first.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I did the Spartacus workout for a while at the gym and it kicked my ass, once a week was enough. I'd add in a running day and a general mobility/stretching day. Gains come as much from rest, nutrition and treating injuries. Exercise alone can be a bit boring, so although you're already doing a lot IMO maybe a MA or some cycling or another active interest would be better than 5 days of exercise routines!

4. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Consider longer term goals as well. For variety one could always look around for a rock gym (or even a place to climb) in your area.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's better to integrate weight training and combat skill development as one. This way, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  6. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

一石二鳥 isseki ni cho

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Meitetsu, we would be grateful if you would please provide an English translation for any Japanese terminology you use. Thank you. :)

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

There is nothing to suggest the OP even does a MA let alone a Japanese MA

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

He just translated my English "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" into Chinese/Japanese.

That's true but since this is a MA forum, we have to assume that people who does weight training is for MA purpose.

If you spend 2 hours in weight lifting, after that 2 hours, you may be too tired to spend another 2 hours in your "hip throw" drill. Since "hip throw" is weight training by itself, will it be better to spend those 2 hours in "hip throw" instead of "weight lifting"?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Maybe Kenpo X is his MA? :p

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you can use both of your arms to twist this machine with 200 lb weight on it 120 times daily, after 6 months, you should have no problem to twist a 200 lb guy down to the ground. You will get "strong muscle" along with your "combat skill". This is to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  12. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

gotcha