Happy with your pysique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Achilles NZ, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Achilles NZ

Achilles NZ Valued Member

I feel sorry for you that your pysche is that negative that you hold a grudge against people excelling to develop themselves in anyway possible, even when they take it down to a smaller variable of physical appearance

"My personal experiences with personal trainers leaves me to generalise (and yes I clearly not and have previously used the term 'generalise') that they are closed minded, ignorant less willing to help those who do not share similar fitness or fitness goals and values."

Through my experience trainers who show this attitude, are generally dealing with a close minded client.

Something to think about

"Despite the weaknesses of your theory being described by both myself and other contributors to this thread that you even admitted had merit, you still stuck with your original theory without modification. So in areas, you conform to my already present definition of your average personal trainer."

Never was this presented as a theory, nor did i portray a amount of strength to it.
    I did however say a opinion, which was then presented as a idea for discussion, to which i took on board opposing Ideas (as mentioned above) while maintaining beliefs of my own, and expanding with the thought stimulation from other views.

This represents a bad trainer? to listen to opposing views take it on, and further express views of his/her own?

How would you rather a trainer act? change opinions based on the client being trained? become a clone with no identity? become a "Sheep" if you will.

If this equates a higher standard of trainer, you are indeed a very close minded "Would be client",Which is evident of your Problem with trainers.

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I fail to see your point on this, Aren't we all nobodies with keyboards? Or are some nobodies more important than others?

3. Achilles NZ

:bang:

Please take the time to read what it was in reference to.

4. SpikeD

I did read the reference, it still makes no sense. You seem to imply that Righty's opinion is invalid as she is just a nobody on a keyboard.

You posted 'Now if you cant look at yourself naked in the mirror, and be happy with what you see, then you cant be happy with your life.. which made it that way.'

This suggests we are all vanity driven & self obsessed. I have on many occasion gotten halfway to somewhere and realised i haven't combed my hair. I can spend half the day with a spot on my chin with out knowing it is there.

You also posted 'This is what i'm getting at.

Spending time with children etc.. to the fact there is no time for physical improvement of ones self, is very much that persons choice. which is where i am of the opinion that they, can't complain about their physique because this is what they have chosen. and the body had followed the stimulus it has been provided with.

This was your choice, this is the result, be happy with it. or else change the way you do things
    .'

Are you suggesting people should actually abandon their children in order to get off on looking at themselves in he mirror naked?

And 'That was not meant as a statement that your physique is all that matters, over other goals in life.

When i say that, it means, if your other activities which have kept you busy from any sort of physical conditioning, still leave you looking at your physique with negative thoughts, then they cant be that important to you, for if they were and you were achieving in what you were striving towards and you would happily sacrifice exercise for these goals. then it shouldnt matter what your physique looks like because this is your path you have chosen to take.

Vanity is not part of this
    '

So how do i stop feeling like a normal person? Say i work two jobs to pay the bills and all free time raising my children because my partner was ill. Am i then not to wish i had a better physique because i should accept that this is the path i have CHOSE to take? What if i was a researcher in to cures for disease, on the cusp of breakthroughs and had spent the last two years in a lab 24/7, should i also say i love my overweight/underweight/un-toned body regardless because i am doing something worthwhile?

And this 'The only people i believe that have a right to complain about their physique are the guy/girls who go and work hard in the gym to change it, and take active steps to make change etc. They have all the right in the world to express views on it.

People who have spent their energy on other goals/objectives need not complain or even look at themselves with negativity, as they have not taken any steps which would lead them to any other result
    '

This makes you obnoxious.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. Achilles NZ

Skipping the rest of the dribble.

It was reference to the statement that someone that would present this type of blasphemy gets no time in her books.

This means nothing, it does not contribute to the discussion at all.

Its merely a statement of who this person likes to surround themselves with. or who deserves this person obviously "highly valued time"

Once again it means nothing because this person means nothing to me, nor do you. nor do i , to any one else.

Which is not related to the topic at hand.

There we go, undertsand now??

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Blimey, you really ARE obnoxious, aren't you?

Do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you come out with stuff like this, or don't you care? :confused:

7. SpikeD

Erm, Only that you find someone whom dislikes/distrusts PT are blasphemous.

8. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

looks dont matter, performance does. thats what the ladies say anyways... but who knows people say other than they really think..

9. forero

forero Valued Member

Achilles,

Your argument seems to be based on the idea that, because people have other priorities, they clearly don't care about their physique that much, otherwise they would do something about it. Priorities, to be brief.

It doesn't hold that a person is satisfied with something simply because they don't put in 100% effort. Is a slave happy without his liberty because has to devote all his energy to working to feed himself? Is a a person happy to die because they give away money, take breaks and do other things than work and find ways to prolong their life?

According to your principle, no-one who fails has the right to be unhappy unless they are dead.

Without the feeling of unhappiness with one's lot, people would never strive to better themselves incrementally. We would never do anything that we weren't sure to accomplish completely and within our lifetime. I will never run like Usain Bolt, I understand that but I don't have to accept it; the dream pushes me to better myself far more than setting an achievable target ever has.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'm hotter than hell in summer time.

Does that answer your question?

11. rivend

rivend Valued Member

The weight chart that is use to determine if you are obese may need some reconsideration in my opinion.
    I was looking at a picture of an Army Air Corp company of men from WW2 and most if not all the comments from others were...Look how skinny they look compared to a same type picture of modern day soldiers.

Seems to me we are judged by how we look. And if a person is overweight a lot of people immediately stereotype them as lazy and weak minded.

So what does this mean. And in today's world is being overweight the normal result of the food that is out there.And if it is... a person has to work much harder to keep a lean and healthy looking body than in years past...."Point being" if a person looks slim and trim that doesn't automatically mean they have the same level of physical ability or better health than that of a heavier bodied person has. We all can't be models but maybe it is harder to remain weight and height proportionally correct to the health standards. Especially in today's fast pace, fast food world. I am not making an excuse for obese people but i think it is harder today because of other factor's they have to deal with. Which may make it a bigger mountain to climb than in the past.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Are you stating this as a fact or as an instruction? :D

So people who ardently follow the government guidelines in the UK (the 'wellness plate') and USA (the 'food pyramid'), and all the conventional wisdom which guides us to do cardio until we drop and avoid weightlifting because it'll 'make us huge', should force themselves to be happy with their lack of results in losing weight? Should force themselves to be happy at their slow but inexorable weight gain, which is the inevitable result of trying to follow those ridiculous guidelines anyway?

I would use the word "prejudiced" and would venture to suggest that any personal trainer dumb enough to actually say this to his or her clients is going to be dumpster diving before long.

You can put me down as a disagree. In fact, I find this viewpoint offensive and it is, as it happens, a reason many people do not seek help from fitness professionals, because they fear this is exactly how they will be judged.

How many clients do you have; and, seriously, are you thinking this while you're watching your clients work out?

Absolutely!

Do you know, Michael Jordan is overweight? George Clooney is obese? Ronnie Coleman, at a BMI of 41+ is morbidly obese?

Rationing? Lack of carbs in the diet? Less HFCS? :D

We do eat differently now, and we have higher expectations. I saw a comparison a while back of how Disney animations have featured thinner and thinner women over the last century, beginning with Snow White who was a relatively healthy looking 10, or thereabouts, up to Ariel who must have been around a size 0.

Most people just don't know what healthy eating is any more, they're so confused.

I agree with you. But, actually, it's not an excuse; it's a fact that people are bombarded with incorrect guidelines on nutrition and exercise by the media, by the government (and what business is it of theirs anyway if I want a cheeseburger and not a tofu salad?), and now, tragically, people can't tell the difference between healthful and harmful! It takes a fair bit of painstaking research and an awful lot of trust to find, undertake and succeed at the right things to do, when you're being misled at every turn! :woo:

But you know what? They should just be happy about how they look. After all, it was their choice, right? :bang:

13. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Injured myself 9 years ago while doing bad forms on squats and deadlifts, i was around 180 pounds with a very good built, with back pain and depression setting in due to not being able to find someone to get me back on track i must have topped 235 pounds with a 42 inch waist. Since starting prolotherapy 2 years ago, i must say that i did have some minor fall backs and yes i cannot train like i did before but still i can keep active, something i could never do in my 8 years of pain prior to that, note that i state 9 years because i still have some chronic pains here and there.

I have decided that this year now i am getting back into major shape, still young at 38, i want to reach the 180 before xmas this year. I am glad to say that i am down to 208 pounds but my BF% is still high for my taste. My sport doctor says that at 22% i am ok and there are people who weight in at 160 pounds and have like 23% BF, but my mind is made up and for health reasons i want nothing less then around 180 pounds. Also it will do wonders on back pain.

Right now i dont like the way i look, in fact i hated the way i looked for most part of my thirties but instead of talking about it none stop i am doing something now.

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

This always startles me. Despite over a decade of the same advice we are fatter than we were before. We're eating less fat and more fruit than ever and there's no end to the 'healthy options' available in the supermarket. Even at a personal level, out of shape, overweight people will be giving me dietary advice and feeding me the generic government warnings about a high cholesterol diet.

If this was a company the CEO maintaining the same management as they get closer and closer to bankruptcy would have been replaced by the shareholders. Yet in this country we seem to think that 'maybe we're just not trying hard enough' or 'my 3 hour treadmill sessions need to be longer'. There is almost no ability to look back at the past and think 'we were in better shape then, why not go back to the old ways'.