Galimores anyone?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by slipthejab, Feb 20, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This is one move that is impressive. Not that I'm even remotely close to being able to do them. lol... but worth looking at. The first vid is fun just because he goes for it on a table... which in some ways must be a lot easy than off the rings where the move originally comes from.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Tn3pCGfdY&feature=related"]Lever Muscle up to Planche on a table - YouTube[/ame]

and equally impressive is this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw-76VswCfY"]GymnasticBodies.com - Galimores - YouTube[/ame]

Obviously this guy on the rings has it sussed. He makes them look effortless... like he's weightless. Impressive.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And in some ways harder. He has to avoid hitting the floor with jhis feet for a start.

3. slipthejab

Yeah it is a bit of a trade off that. Floor clearance VS ring instability. And the hold palms down position to a muscle up is impressive. :p

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

That is one sturdy table. :eek:

6. slipthejab

He wouldn't be doing that on an IKEA table that's for sure. :p

7. slipthejab

I'd be curious to know if there are any guys who are doing this in later life (lol... 30 and up) who didn't train specifically for this as a kid. Seems there are always some old gymnasts kicking around who can still do some of the old moves... but I'm curious if anyone 30+ started training this and was able to make headway or is the time differential too much for most people?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

To be honest I can't even conceive of possessing the strength and body control to do that.
    It's like looking at a cheetah running across the Serengeti.
    I can admire it for afar but could never actually do it.

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I'm just starting basic gym training (I'm about 5 weeks into it now) and i am making progress slowly. I am out of shape anyway so it is a start from the very beginning regarding strength training. I imagine (wistfully) that i will be able to do that it maybe two years if i really apply myself, which i won't because i get injured too easily now (currently nursing tendonitis in my elbow). Even if i never get that strong i will be much stronger than i am now.

10. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Eventually seeking to work my way there, Slip--and I'm significantly beyond 30. What's more, I'm 6'2" (okay, 6'1.8) with very long arms (wingspan of about 6'11"), so upper body bodyweight stuff is always a challenge. I never say never, though. The gymnasticbodies regimen is one of the training programs I follow. If I make it to Galimores (or pelicans for that matter), I'll be sure to film it, put it in the Member's workout thread and give you the head's up (I still owe Gary a one arm pullup vid--working on getting there).

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

What if the cheetah was running towards you? :whistle:

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's on my list for future achievements - shoulders willing.

Like Dormindo says, they're on the GymnasticsBodies site list of progressions and there are some older folks are that site who have achieved/are working towards achieving them.

13. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Impressive. I'm 40+ and there's no way I could do that. I think if I tried I'd end up flipping the table, knocking myself out and create a new viral Youtube video...just not one I'd be proud to be in. :)

14. slipthejab

Yes... that was exactly what I envisioned when I first clicked on the vid... I thought... ohhh... this isn't going to work out well... :p

Note to self... visualize the positive! :D

15. Fish Of Doom

i'm still wondering why the table DIDN'T flip :p

i suspect it's bolted to the wall :D

16. slipthejab

If you watch... all the pressure on that table is vertical... always pressing down on the two table legs nearest him.

17. Fish Of Doom

i know that. the question is to what dark gods did he sacrifice virgin goats in order to gain the ability to actually DO that :p

18. slipthejab

the Gods of youth, training and discipline.... with partial sacrifices to positive thinking.

19. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

So that's who I should have propitiated instead of selling my soul to the Devil like I di--um, like some guy I know did. ;)

On topic, I'm actually now going to work out some kind of assisted way to do these into my training schedule--besides the obvious need to work on front levers, of course.

20. slipthejab

Yep just added these for time to my schedule today. So today I got in 10 of these at 1 min. per hold. Not all that hard... I also got in half of them with my knee's on the lower part of my triceps... so a bit tougher... but when I tried to raise a single leg from the frog position out straight... crikey... the balance and the wrists and the shoulders... ahhaha like a house of cards collapsing. It's going to take some serious training to achieve it. :D

That just in from Capt. Obvious