"From The Ground Up"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Colucci, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I just had to post some comments on a Dan John book I just finished skimming, and will, no doubt, devour over the next few days. Dan John, for those who haven't heard me rave previously, is an Olympic Lifter/Highland Games competitor/Discus thrower/Strength Coach/Very Funny sonofagun.

"From The Ground Up" is a free e-book covering pretty much everything about Dan's take on getting stronger and faster. One thing you'll constantly be reminded is that he's an Olympic Lifter; There's a recurring emphasis on the Oly lifts, not that that's a bad thing, just remember that it's not necessarily the be all end all of training (but it is pretty dang good for anyone).

Some stand-out quotes:

"Machines are not the answer to your fat loss or muscle building questions." No surprise there, but it's always good to hear it from one of the top guys.

On training with a busy schedule: "...If all you did was the Clean and Press, you could be awesome." Hell yeah bro.

"Squat right. Clean right. Put the bar overhead. Repeat. That is usually my little formula for teaching people the basics of getting strong."
    You've heard of Keep It Simple, Stupid, right? Well, Dan John is the stupidest. (I mean that in the most positive, loving way. I'm sure he'd understand)

Case in point, something he calls "The Rapid Ascent Program":
    3 days a week:
    Power Clean 3x8,6,4
    Military Press 3x8,6,4
    Clean and Front Squat 3x8,6,4

When you can get all 18 reps of an exercise, increase the weight. It looks easy now, but, well...I'll find out next week. Anywho, just thought I'd share some free info. Free education is always better. :D

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I just love you sometimes, BeWater. :love: :D And I mean that in a completely heterosexual manner. :p

3. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Sounds like it will be a good read thanks for the link with BeWater :) .

Cheers
    Chris Sharkey

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Thanks bewater. Saved to disk.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Wow, I've scored some nice stuff recently! Somebody linked me to online versions of Pavels books, which of course I took the liberty of saving before deleting the illegal link :D This is another great addition to my e-library, thanks mate.

6. Knight_Errant

*makes hurried off-stage negotiations with his old co-mod*
    Yeah, really good stuff. What I especially like, though, is the idea of an organised weight training program at a school. Awesome.

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Hmmmm, you may remember that I posted a thread about joining a gym this summer, and what exercises/reps/sets to do in order to gain mass. Is this sort of program good for a beginner looking to achieve these aims (i.e. me)? It's just that I was looking at going 3 days a week so it kinda seems ideal really, lol. :)

8. Knight_Errant

Sounds ideal. Go for it.

9. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Great link! Thanks a bunch.

10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Adam mind quickly posting the link again so us others can get it? :)

11. Knight_Errant

It's against the TOS. Tut tut.
    pssssssst..... PM me....

12. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Right back at'cha sweetness. :D I'm just trying to spread the good iron word.

I'd start with it. Give it a fair run, consistent for 6-8 weeks. After that, you'll be ready for anything. I plan on giving it a test run next week. Should be interesting.

13. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Errrr.... You wouldn't want to send me a PM containing the link "accidentally" within the PM, would ya? ;) ;) (I won't tell if I receive it or not, I promise!!!!!:D)

14. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Alright, I managed to sneak into instructional media class early and print off both "From the Ground Up" and "Contrarian Coaching." I'm kinda obsessive about the whole strength coaching reading stuff and ended up reading both of them while at work (let's say we were slow and I hid out).

They are awesome reads! Two thumbs up on passing along the link! :)

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good link, added to collection :)

16. Master Lee

Master Lee New Member

Awesome link MyFriend