Fat-ness how/why

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheCount, Jul 1, 2007.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Just wondering about this because its been bothering me quite a bit lately. Why do people for absoloutely no reason suddenly gain a huuuge amount of weight. I'm talking about people in their late teens early 20s who over the course of a couple of months just suddenly Slam on comes 3 stone.

Now, I would attribute it to excessive fat intake due to increased dependancy on ready meals...
    Or to metabolic slowdown (at 20!?)
    Or to huge change in daily routine ie going from lots of exercise to none...

However.. it isn't so.

I know someone who in the course of a few months has gained (in all seriousness) a few stone. They walk as much as ever, eat the same amount of the same sort of food... Makes no sense at all :(

2. ember

ember Valued Member

Change in sleep patterns, maybe? I know I've seen studies lately that are linking hours slept to the ability to stay thin...

3. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

more then likley boooooze, that would do it pints of beer will get you fat. Also people just eat too much.

Most people who stick themselves on a diet will proably fail as the body is starved of the fat and keeps a reserve and by the time the person decides that they can eat more fat BOOM it goes on again.

Its the nature of the beast, eat things you want but only is small portions.

Tans

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There is actually little reason for metabolic slowdown and it certainly isn't a sudden thing. Most older people aren't in great shape because they simply aren't consistent with training and eating properly.

This would never happen at 20 years old and there will usually be a reason like booze or new/excessive food choices and less exercise. Your friends case is a strange one, and there probably is a reason behind it whether they are telling you or not. The fact that this person probably isn't growing in height etc. any more might have an influence too.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'd guess booze too, a lot of people don't realise how many calories it contains and it's very easy to convince yourself that liquids are less fattening somehow. Eat the same as normal but start drinking heavier and the belly starts to grow, it happened to me and it happens every year when people start university.