Eye infections

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I had thought about doing that but the optician advised not to just in case.I did it last week and still got a bit of water seepage. I'm going to go sans lenses and with goggles tomorrow night, so if anyone wants a laugh come down to my gym at about 7.30pm to see the virtually blind as a bat girl bumping into everyone :D

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

What about these puppies? Says they're water tight...

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm interesting. I'm thinking that I may try the daily toric lenses actually, and wear my goggles on top .Dailies are ok as you chuck them away. Could do with some anyway just as spares really.

Or I could go swimming with puppies taped to my eyes maybe? :D Luckily when I go swimming the pool is pretty quiet, and I sometimes think it's better I can't see what I am in the sauna with too :D

4. Chimpcheng

If it makes you feel better my optician dude says I look after my monthly disposables so well that I can probably get up to two months wear out of them! Thus reducing the over all costing. :D

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

How do you do that? I always rinse them and store them correctly, but I can always tell when its getting to the end of the month as they start feeling a bit uncomfortable. Annoyingly I can't try any different brands as they don't all do the right prescription.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I suspect this is in part 'planned obsolescence' by the contact lens manufacturers... it's not as if the contact lens is high technology these days. I mean come on... what they cost for a bit of what is basically gelatin?!?! Give me a bleedin' break.

I get a weeks wear out of single pair of daily disposables. As long as I store them correctly and don't rub my eyes and change the storage solution they last that long easily... however... even with all the proper storage and handling they still get protein-buildup by the end of the week. So no matter how you slice it... it's not cheap.

These days I spend a lot more time wearing glasses... I just like my eyes being able to breathe easier. I pretty much only wear the contacts when going out at night.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah, it's pretty annoying! I am ordering my new specs today, some nice funky brown ones,I actually look quite clever in them :D My plan is to wear them to work ,mainly to look more intelligent, plus the builders don't whistle at me when wearing glasses, so that's a bonus too :D

8. Chimpcheng

Mine are Vision Now monthly disposables and to make them last longer I clean them in contact lens solution.

Here is my step by step guide to looking after my lenses:

1). Wash hands before handling lenses.
    2). Wash lenses with solution when handling them.
    3). Wash lens case with solution when handling it.
    4). Use fresh solution at all times.
    5). Enjoy much extended contact lens life.

:D

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah that's what I do. Perhaps the toric ones just aren't that great after a month.

10. Chimpcheng

Maybe you have diseased hands causing excessive protein build-up on your pricey lenses? :D

Is it worth investing in some of them there separate protein remover thingys you can get in Boots?

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I would have to check it is compatible with my lenses first. And I always wash my hands. I have 2 anti bacterial handwashes now and becoming Miss OCD 2008!!!

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Lightweight...

My glasses prescription is -16 in one eye and -17 in the other (my contacts are -14, I think)!

I tend to take the risk and wear my contacts with normal goggles over them when I go swimming.

13. Chimpcheng

My contacts are a massive -6.25 in BOTH eyes!!!

This does have the advantage of it being okay for me to put the wrong lens in the wrong eye. :D

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yay I'm not as blind as I thought I was ! W00t :D:D I sometimes get confused and put my lenses in the wrong eyes,makes me feel all odd!

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Teehee, it's fun sometimes having the same script in both eyes.
    I ask the lady who does the orders at our optometrist to order a set of contacts, but I want two boxes for my right eye not one of each. I only do it for the look on their face.
    Plus you don't have to buy as many to get the bulk price.

In addition, I wear dailys becuase the only time I wear them consistantly is for MA (Jujutsu) where they fall out every now and again.
    A - I don't want to put it back in my eye after it's touched the mat.
    B - It's not likely I will find it again anyway.
    C - I actually find contacts quite uncomfortable to wear for long periods and the dailys were a bit thinner and more comfortable.

I used to wear ones that lasted for 18 months and got almost hysterical when I thought I lost one. Turns out it was in the eye, just not over the iris where it should be.

16. Chimpcheng

I've never worn dailies but I was of the understanding that it's not possible to get them near the strength of, say, monthly disposables. Does anyone know whether this is still the case?

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think it depends.I know that for astigmatism toric lenses haven't been available as dailies but think they are nearly getting there. I mean, when I wanted contacts 10 years ago I was told they didn't do my prescription by a couple of opticians.

18. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Lou, do you make tea with tea bags,even if you don't use bags, get some. Soak your eyes with cooled tea bags, believe me, it works.

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The availability of lense types in daily and monthly disposable depends very much on the complexity of your prescription. As I said above, I can only get mine in the yearly replaceble variety. It's a cost benefit thing for the manufactures - there are lots of people who want daily or monthly disposable ones at the less severe end of the presciption scale but very few at my level, so it's not worth them spending the money to develop the technology. What tends to happen is that eventually it filters through to the complex presciption end of the spectrum, but this usually takes time.

As for certain opticians saying that you can't get complex lenses in certain presciptions, for the most part this is rubbish. If I can get lenses in my presciption, then pretty much everybody else can! You tend to find that the bigger chains (e.g. Specsavers, Vision Express etc) won't offer the more complex lenses, because it's too much hassle for them. However, if you go to a smaller, independent place, the chances are they will supply your prescription. My sister went to Vision Express for her lenses at one point and was told that they don't make lenses for her level of short sightedness. She pointed out that her sister who is much worse than her has lenses, but got no joy. What Vision Express actually meant was that THEY don't cater to that presciption because it requires more effort on their behalf.

20. or there's less money in it for them..