Dit Dat Jow. How to make it?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shadow_of_Evil, May 22, 2007.

1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on making Dit Dat Jow? Ingrediants? What you need to brew it etc? I've noticed that the stuff is extremely hard to come across in Western Australia (in fact I've never managed to find some) and I did a google search on making Dit Dat Jow but I didn't get much from it.

Anyone here made any before?

2. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Traditionally Dit Da Jow is a martial arts family secret.
    Chances are even if you find a recipe it would not be the "true" recipe. The TCM herbal pharmacy I work for will not let anyone else make it but the owner. The doctor I work with vowed only to share his formula with 2 people (which he already has done).
    I would say your absolute best bet is to try to find maybe some local schools that might make it themselves (though they maybe reluctant too) buy it off them. Or maybe a TCM practitioner may have a recipe, or even a Herbal pharmacy, though it maybe expensive.
    I know some students at school that make it, but they are not masters by no means and thus theirs may or may not be effective.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Jows range from simple to complicated - with the simple ones you throw a bunch of herbs in a bottle of vodka. The complicated ones are more complicated, I imagine. :D :D

Message member plumdragon if you are interested in purchasing some. I'm sure he can ship to Oz.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

5. number 6

number 6 Valued Member

As far as i remember there is a recipe and instructions on how to prepair a recipe for dit dar in Wong Kiew Kit's book 'The Art of Shaolin Kung FU'. Never tried it though as i get the stuff from a Hung Gar teacher.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Thanks for the help everyone. Inthespirit, I'll definately have a look at that link. Thanks mate.

I spoke to a good mate of mine that's been doing Kung Fu for as long as I've known him. His Sifu has Dit Da Jow so I'll have to speak to him.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

No worries, good luck mate! We use to have a member here who was in to making DDJ and all that sort of stuff, though for the life of me I cant remmeber who it was, he did have "Plumb" or something like that in his name. If it comes to me, I'll let you know.

8. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Forgive me for not hearing my name being called sooner. =) I spend little time on the forums these days and only saw this thread by chance.

Shadow of Evil,
    If you have any specific questions about making jow, please feel free to ask and Ill be happy to answer. I can (and occasionally do) ship premade jow, herb packs and whole herbs to Australia but shipping is kind of expensive--If youve never made it before I would recommend premade or herb pack. Im not really sure what the herbal supply is like down there so if youre looking for something specific, feel free to PM me and Ill get back to you.

Regards,
    Josh

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thats who I was talking about! :D

Cheers Josh!

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Expect a PM soon.
    Thanks guys. Tis been a help, so it has ;)

11. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

If you like the jow - you should try balur from Indonesia some time. Harder to find for sure but worth the effort.

12. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I actually have a recipe for Balur oil but dont generally recommend you make it for 2 reasons:
    1. Balur oil and dit da YAO are oil-based and tend to go bad over time whereas wine/alcohol based liniments (dit da JOW) generally get better over time.
    2. The ingredients for Balur oil are no different than what is in a decent bruise liniment recipe save a couple of basic differences due to geographic origin.

13. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

"If you have access to dit da jow, use it according to instructions. The hype is that dit da jow, will soothe the skin, prevent or relieve bruises, relieve congestion, prevent blood clots, and even toughen and harden the skin, sinews, and bone. Maybe. To quote my sifu (who was also a herbalist), "Or you could use Absorbine Jr." One funky old book on iron palm I have recommends "sipping hog's blood on alternate days" during training and abstaining from all sex. Hmm...."
    http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/rma/gmpalm.html

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  14. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Also, I've heard good things about the equine versions, they are actually about the same, if not exactly the same.
    http://www.absorbine.com/absorbine/product_list/2
    I knew a guy that went to China to study acupuncture/acupressure and said the meridians were almost identical for humans & horses. I guess he knew what he was talking about, he took three horsed to the Kentucky Derby (& won) with no drugs, only herbs, massage, and acupuncture.
    He said that most things like this (absorbine, bag balm, etc) work great for humans, and they're way cheaper for the most part.
    In Western Oz I'm sure you can find something like this at a livestock outfitter, or the local equine vet can turn you on to where it is...

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  15. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

I have used equine Absorbine and found it to be a bit hot... it also left my skin rather inflamed... so I would recommend you test a drop on your skin before going overboard with the stuff... Trust me.... perhaps I should say that equine Absorbine has used me... :cry:

steve

16. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Maybe dillution is called for. I'll look into it. Skin types vary.

17. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I used Dit Dat Jow on my fingertips when they used to hurt after playing/learning guitar all those years ago, sorted them out quite nicely :)

18. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Than you could get the fly repellent to to keep the flies away.

19. SandyLee

SandyLee New Member

Shadow Of Evil, if you go to a Chinese Medicine place and ask them for it they will make up the herbs for you and tell you what do do. I just made a batch a month ago.

20. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Dale Dugas is also a good online source for liniment, or so I've heard. There's a basic recipe in Tom Bisio's book, A Tooth From the Tiger's Mouth.