Dip Depth

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Antaeus, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Antaeus

Antaeus Valued Member

How far do you go down when you do dips? I usually go down to 90 degrees with my arms really close to my body (I use chairs at home) rather then the wide bars that are typically found in dip stations. I also try to keep my upper body as parallel as possible to my upper arm to prevent an excessive backard position of my shoulder.

What do you guys thing is an acceptable range to go down without exposing your shoulders to undue stress? How do you typically due dips?

2. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I go to about 90°, but that's because it's comfortable for me to go down that low. My friend's arms don't go that far before he starts to feel pain (and not workout-pain).

I think you just go as low as is comfortable for you.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Correct. If you can go deeper then that should be ok. The OP posted what is good dip form and so long as you go as deep as is comfortable it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not familiar with the strength curve but this suggestion is more aimed at preserving shoulders anyway.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What about muscle ups?

I haven't seen a muscle up that someone didn't use a good kip.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If it's pain free then it's good to go. There should be a kipping portion in a muscle up to transition between the pull and the push. This is another reason why rings are better than bars for muscle ups.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i used to go as low as possible, feel the stretch.
    I had to stop doing dips though as i was getting some funky feeling in my clavicle

7. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I used to get that same tension on my clavicle. It went away very quickly. I dip down until my biceps touch my forearms and I can feel my anterior deltoid stretching.