Deadlift Variations

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pgm316, Jan 10, 2006.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Couldn't find a thread about this so I've created one.

I'm a bit confused with the different variations of deadlift. The standard, RDL, bent legged, stiff legged...

How should you incorporate them into your workout? Or is it better to find which is best for you stick with it for a while, instead of mixing them up :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's all up to you!
    For example, Romanian deadlift places more emphasis on the hamstrings and lower back; Sumo deadlift emphasizes more legs instead of the back(though you still use it to lesser extend), etc. So basically the point is in different muscle group emphasis like gluteus, quads, hams, or back.
    Personally I like just standard DL (which stresses erector spinae), and sumo is fine too.
    You can switch them every now and then, or switch two diff. ones every workout. Whatever you do, keep you back straight all the time.

3. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

The snatch grip deadlift is also a good one that will blast your upper back.

I'd say that the straight legged and roman deadlifts should be more like a "suppement" to your regular deadlifting or squatting.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Chances are if you're doing a lot of Oly lifting you really won't have need of conventional deadlifts most of the time and just stick with RDLs. If you're doing more of a powerlifting type set up, then deadlift. Don't worry about the stiff-legged version. The snatch grip DL is another good one (as has been mentioned).

My fav is sumo deads when pulling DLs.

5. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

It depends what you want - they all have there own areas of emphasis and are great for tackling specific issues. E.g. If my hams aren't pulling their weight in my squats, I might work some RDLs into my routine to fix it. Normal squat and deadlift are your bread and butter exercises - you should have some valid reason/goal when doing the others IMO.

6. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Agreed.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

My faves are trap bar deadlifts and RDLs, mainly because I'm not really suited to deadlifting standard style.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Not sure how much I'm suited to deadlifts, always feels an unatural movement and never sure about my emphasis on legs/back.

Considering moving to RDL because I do clean & press.

Theres no trap bar at my gym, I should buy them a suggestion box and put a note in it! :rolleyes:

9. Ad McG

Or just ask them about it! Tell them it's miles safer for shrugs etc. so they will be preventing injuries/lawsuits :D

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I think lifting this much would get them worried :p

[​IMG]

11. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Why do you say that? Maybe you just have bad technique. Starting out, my body just never felt right deadlifting. But after a certain amount of volume over time, it adjusted and it's probably my best area now.

12. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Trap bar deadlifts are alright for a change, but I definitely prefer the standard way.

13. laoch

laoch New Member

as previously mentioned the different deads emphasize different muscle groups. I personally stick to RDLs most the time and then switch deads in for my squat routine every 3 or 4 weeks. Standard deadlifts involve a huge number of muscles so they're fantastic but they really take a lot out of you and can require more time ot recover from than some of the variations with a shorter ROM.

14. Ad McG

My form is ok but my body shape makes it even harder. I much prefer sumo deadlifts to regular because it suits my frame miles more. However, I get better results from trap bar deads and that is all I'm interested in :) I can do normal, sumo and trap bar deads but even with 70%ish weight I find it fairly hard to keep good form on standards. My arms and legs are short and my body is fairly long compared, so I'm more of a squatter, hence why trap bar deads suit me great. Plus, I just think they're more fun :D