Deadlift instead of Squat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Would the Deadlift be a good substitue for the Squat? Not permenatly, but for like a couple of weeks. I've just started Deadlifting and I like it alot better than the Squat and I would like to just do it instead (since it's not the best idea to do both in the same workout) for a while. But I don't want my squat to decrease. So should I keep Squating or would Deadlifting be a sufficient replacement for a while?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  2. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You can do DL with Squat in same workout, if you can handle it.
    2. Sumo DL hits +/- same muscles as Squat
    3. Exercises such as Squat, DL and Good morning work in synergy, so if you increase poundage on one, you are likely to increase on another one.

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

both are core exercises, you cant substitute one with the other!

deadlifts, vital for overall back development, especially lower back erector muscles.

squats, the daddy of all leg exercises!!!!

i would never drop one of these exercises, i dont recommend whole body workouts IMO either.

squats
    deadlifts
    military press
    bench press

exercises never to be substituted, never to be dropped....

4. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I don't know, seems to me that deadlifts work several of the same muscle groups as squats. They might work different stablilizing muscles. Do both if you can if you can't do as many sets of squats just cut down the number of sets.
    Personally I like squats more but I do deads now cause I have no squat rack and don't have time to go to the gym as much.

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I don't see a problem if it's only for a few weeks. I prefer deadlift too (long arms...:D). It's definitely made my back bigger and stronger, and helped my hammies and glutes. However, I try to balance it out with front squatting (big quads look cool.... :D ) so I don't get some weirdo imbalance thing going on. So I'd say still squat along with deadlift if you can handle it, as doing both will give you better results provided you balance out the intensity and volume between the two. But a cycle of just deadlifts probably wouldn't kill ya.:D

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You could always cycle your main movement between squat, deadlift, and good morning every 2-3 weeks. I'm moving away from back squats as my main leg movement because I'm liking front squats over back squats due to less spinal compression.

7. JKD_forever

8. GhostOfYourMind

You should've used dollar signs... Like this! -> pu$$y......:D :Angel:

9. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Why not do olympic style backsquats? Its very easy on your spine (though I think you'd know that :) ). In fact, my spine dont feel any different doing back or front squats (both full squats).

10. blessed_samurai

I am very happy with my diet of front and zercher squats, thank you very much.

Ghost, quit encouraging him.

Oh, I mean...if you y'all continue to make fun of me, I will shut this mutha' down. :D

11. blessed_samurai

Not that it's a huge number but when you're putting in the mid 400s on your back, it's a lot of spinal compression whether it's wide stance or narrow stance. And for the record...I've always been a 'drop the ass to the grass' guy. It would've been way to much trouble and motor pattern confusion with Oly lifting to try and change my squat stance to a wide stance.

12. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Hmm. Thats kinda weird since Ive never heard of anyone having spinal problems with olympic back squats. I'd expect the first thing to go would be the knees with the body being almost upright and all.

I guess I'll have to wait and see when I get to 3x bodyweight haha (some day :D ).

13. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I personally feel that the deadlift is a great substitute for the squat in the long term.

14. blessed_samurai

Oh no, I'm not having spinal problems at all. I just noticed a lot less spinal compression with front squats than back squats and spinal compression is not a throwers friend. As I became more interested in throwing (Highland Games) I started to take a look at how the more experienced throwers trained and OH squats, zerchers, and front squats seemed to take the forefront over back squatting. Much like focusing on push pressing over benching. And also long pull power and hang oly lifts over full oly lifts.

Also, two things: undoubtedly as my front squats go up, my back squat will also. I don't have enough weight in my back yard to go heavy on back squats but I do on zerchers, OH, and front. So, I've found that 2 weeks of front squats/zerchers (w/a bit of OH), and then 1 week of back works well for me. That and I'm really into pushing my front squat over 310 at this point. You know, we all find lifts we like over others and concentrate on them...it just comes down to what will benefit me more for my goals. :)

15. GhostOfYourMind

:D I'll play nicely now. :Angel:

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey man, front squats are a hell of a lot harder then back squats. I've done both plenty of times going rock bottom on each and nothing has compared to the front squats to me. If you're doing back squats rather then front squats, I would be more inclined to call you a pu@@y :woo:

17. GhostOfYourMind

Are you talking to me or to harhar? I front squat ATG... :p

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

To whomever said to blessed that doing fronts instead of backs are for pu@@ys. Which I believe was JKD. : P

19. GhostOfYourMind

Ah...ok. I just encouraged the "correct" spelling.:D

Random off topic tip for today: Change your oil if you want a great forearm workout. :D

20. JKD_forever

omg , ARE THEY REALLY???
    :rolleyes:

my comment was directed toward spine compression issue...