Combat conditioning

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mike-a, Oct 7, 2004.

1. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Has anyone seen any ads for this program?

It seems to be a system of body-weight callesthtics (spelling?), organised by a guy named Matt Furey, who has a wrestling background.

Apparently the system can be boiled down to three exercises, "scooping" type push ups, deep squats, and back bridging. I can remember doing lots of these things when I played judo, and they didn't seen to do me too much harm back then. I have seen many opinions that these exercises are actually quite harmful.

Any thoughts?

2. Master Lee

Master Lee New Member

You should get his book called combatative training, its good

3. smak

smak Valued Member+

i didnt know he had adds out.. i've heard great things via word of mouth, and have been doing a few of the excersizes he endorses (namely hindu squats, hindu pushups and bridges) on a regular basis with success.

definatly recommend his book combat conditioning, or theres also a newer work out there that picks up where matt left off and moves beyond.. Ross Enamait's "The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness" is something you might find of great value.

cant go wrong either way though. enjoy!

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

I have seen many opinions that these exercises are actually quite harmful.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

NO,
    Check out clearance bass site for info on Matt furey and Science behind his exercise.
    www.cbass.com
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

His stuff is ok, but better is available for free. If you want solely bodyweight then check out www.trainforstrength.com

6. smak

smak Valued Member+

trainforstrength has sandbag and club weight exercises.. funny i should find a mike mahler link on their page also :)

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I know about bridging, but what are hindu squats and push-ups?

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Lots of folk around here use his training methods, I've personally introduced Hindu squats/push-ups and neck bridges into my routine.

Col

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

hindu squats and hindu pushups are pretty cool exercises. On the other hand, the bodyweight fanaticism and obstinately unscientific approach that runs through ALL his material is annoying and misleading. Bearing in mind that he also markets 'magnetic mind power', do you really want to give your hard-earned money to this man?

10. Athleng Nordic

Unscientific approch?, thanks I almost wasted my time (life) going out to look it over.

11. Knight_Errant

When he starts saying things like 'it doesn't matter if you're doing 100 repetitions, you're still working strength' and 'Knockout blows that strike precise targets - when Saddam feels just a tap in these spots, it'll be "lights-out Irene", that's more than enough to set off the BS alarms.

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm I do agree with lots of folks here... but u know, using weights or not using it is one's preference..
    I've used both types and got results with both... but I prefer to do bodyweight because it's cheap and can be done anywhere... :)
    as far as Magnetic mind power is concerned... I wouldn't buy that book it's better if you buy psycho cybernetics old edition(it's on amazon) it will cost u around 9.95$ + shipping.... it seems like most of Matt's stuff comes from that book only...
    -TkdWarrior-

13. Knight_Errant

and it was bunk then.

14. Athleng Nordic

What exactly is "Magnetic Mind Power" anyway?

15. Knight_Errant

as far as I can tell it's a cross between some kind of motivation get-rich-quick-scheme and chi.

16. smak

smak Valued Member+

lol, he has always been known as quite the marketer, but it seems like he's been busy since i last checked up on him.

doesent take from his first book though, its still a worthwhile read.

some of his exercises can be viewed here http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

the underground guide has most of matts exercises anyways, without the marketing hype.

17. Knight_Errant

'quite the marketer'? the guy claimed to have been TAUGHT IN HIS SLEEP BY THE GHOST OF FARMER BURNS.
    That, in anybody's terms, makes him a lying crook. At the very least.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  18. Athleng Nordic

This guy sounds like a real piece of work!

19. Adam

Adam New Member

He pimps good stuff. I especially like the neck bridging and hindu pushups, but you can get pretty much all of the info from other places and at a fraction of Furey's price or for free off the net. I'd suggest throwing your money at someone else.

20. Knight_Errant

He also pimps some very BAD stuff.