C2 5K, / Running suggestions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Hey all, so I'm on week 4 of couch to 5k running programme, I'm. Enjoying it, but I was wondering if any runners here have some good suggestions of advice on people stating to run?

So far I'm using the NHS 5k app, cheap bone conduction headphones, and a random pair of trainers that are actually pretty awesome so far.

axelb and Nachi like this.
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm a rubbish runner, C2K5 was too much for me! I've been using the Daniel's running formula for my runs and it's working pretty well so far. It works in blocks of 4 week cycles with 3 different run/walks (at the lower levels) per week that are based on pace. You can do each one once of twice per week. The pace is calculated from you times for different distances and there is an app that you plug your numbers into and is spits out the pace you need for each type of run. I may have to put a modified 4 week cycle or 2 in between my current stage and the next one.

Amazon.co.uk

One of the things that keeps me motivated with my running is my smart watch. I love the fact that I get a load of data from it and can see my progress. I'm a data geek, so it's idea for me. I have a Garmin Fenix 6s at the moment, my previous watch was a Garmin Forerunner 220.

Good luck with your progress! :)

axelb, Nachi and Dead_pool like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Been doing 5k+ running for some time, trying to think back things when I started I found useful.

The structure of something like couch to 5k is good to help pace. Are you the type of person who needs to be paced, or pushed? (I often find other martial artists push themselves more once they get into things). The structure helped me not to over do it.

Don't under estimated the contribution of any walking parts of the program, even doing your own walking between does contribute more than you realise.

Get your running gate checked if you haven't, there are a few sports or running specific shops that will check your gate for free, this can give you an idea of the type of shoe you need to get the most out of your run, or confirm if what you have will do the job.

Usual it falls into overpronator, neutral or underpronator. You can also find this out from other shoes you had for some time to feel inside the sole on where they are worn down most.
    For me this was the biggest change to my running experience, I suffered from terrible shin splints, and this was largely because I over pronate, stability shoe helped a lot.

Running socks! These make a difference in the longer runs, also will save you making holes in all your other socks.

A heart rate monitor (chest or arm, the watch wrist ones aren't that accurate) to gauge what your thresholds are, once you get familiar with what you can do over a distance, you can use it to pace yourself for longer distances.

Find something you enjoy listening to, or nothing, whichever suits you best. I know some people like to empty their head, I often listen to something fast :D

As you get to longer distance runs, plan routes in a loop, I find running out and back had a psychological difference to my attitude compared to a loop.

As I built it up I would create route options, partly related to time constraints:
    If I had an hour I usually planned a 6 miles, then had a shorter loop which started the same in case something went wrong, or I particularly struggled, but also had a long 8 mile route for those days that everything went well.

Are you training to do a race? Sometimes this can help motivate, a timeline is always a good way to keep things on track.

Have you got any park runs near you? These are a great free organisations, very social every Saturday morning, you can use to as part of your training plan or even as target race.

It's getting hot! So think about what you're wearing, light shorts, t shirt, compression top, something for your head of you have not much hair (like me). I have 80s style sweatbands for my arm, they come in use every summer.
    I can't remember what the name is, but I use a tube scarf thing made of light material for my head, sun cream is great for your body, but on your head it will be in your eyes the moment the sweat comes out.

I don't know how often you're doing BJJ at the moment, for me it is where I want most energy, so I'll run in the afternoon after BJJ or the next day. If running was the priority (e.g. I had a race coming up) I'd do it in the morning of training or the day before.

I'm just getting back to it myself after avoiding the plant pollen attack on my asthma. It's good to hear you're getting into it.

Dead_pool, Frodocious and Nachi like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Some ideas from me...

Get some form of proper running underwear...one week I wore the wrong undergarments for a long slow 8k run and the resulting chaffing meant I couldn't walk properly for a week after, let alone go for a run. Now I wear proper running scrudders every time just to err on the safe side.
    Find nice places to run. Doing the same route each time can be good for consistency but can get stale. Forests, canals, parks, etc. Plus getting some off road trail running is better for your feet generally and foot/leg proprioception. Keeps you on your toes mentally too as you need to plan your footfalls.
    Take it slow. It took me months to build to 5k but that was the goal and didn't mind it took that long. Consistency is more important than times or distance imho. I repeated or went back a week multiple times when I did c25K to lessen the difficulty curve.
    Go to your local Parkrun on a Saturday! Great atmosphere and it gives you a running landmark in the week that will be hard to avoid or ignore. It gives the runs I do in the week a purpose because I want to be able to do my Parkrun on a Saturday. I'm very evangelical about them and have converted at least one person to be a regular Parkrunner. Try a few local courses as some are much better than others.
    Find some running buddies. I did ALL my C25K runs solo but recently help set up a running group at work and running with others is pretty cool. At first I thought I'd be holding people back but find the right people and having some gentle chit chat makes the run seem faster and keeps your breathing in check (if zone 2 cardio is what you're after).

Dead_pool, axelb and Frodocious like this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

After doing the C25K I ditched the ear buds and never listen to anything now.
    I like being aware of my surroundings, people/bikes coming up behind me, cars and other vehicles around me, dogs barking and potentially chasing me, the bird song, etc.
    I also like that, aside from my watch and phone, I don't need to set anything up or rely on anything to get going.
    I imagine if I did longer runs (10k's, halfs, etc) I might need some music or a podcast but for a 5k I prefer to be in the moment.

Another tip...I don't take water with me on a run. I see people at Parkrun carrying those runner water bottles and belts and pouches but really, if you're properly hydrated generally, your body can handle a half hour run without needing to sip on water every 3 minutes. It's needless faff. Have a drink when you get back from the run.

Dead_pool, axelb and Frodocious like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes I've never needed a drink on a training run under an hour.
    If it's hot and it's a fast pace that's a different matter. Agree that's an unnecessary faff.

Good pointers on it running underwear, I had forgotten about that. Decent run shorts come with built in underwear, but compression shorts do the job also. (Especially if you have larger thighs, anything over an hour I used to get issues without compression shorts).

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thanks for the pointers, wierdly including the warm up and cool down walk I'm already doing just under 5k already, but the pace is the thing, I'm only a few weeks in, but I'm finding it massively helping both my BJJ, (in that I can roll at a higher Intensity for the full session) and general stress reduction/HR reduction.

I have to say I do carry water, I know it's physically unnecessary, but without that and the music/app narrater, I am pretty sure my monkey level attention span Brain would realise how hard it was and give up.

Thanks for all the help again!

axelb likes this.