Broken Clavicle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, May 11, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I'm guessing a clavicle is the same thing as a collar bone, but I'll say clavicle just in case. So I snapped the left one in half in my MMA class, got slammed on my shoulder. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and does anyone know if it will affect my martial arts or weight training after it's done healing? All the doctor said was it might feel a little different than the other side, but I'm not sure if that means it'll be weaker or have less range of motion or what.

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Wellllll do I have a story for you. So, I'm about 6 years old, which means my sister is 15. We're in the front yard hanging out, playing around, whatever, and she says "Hey BeWater, here, lemme try this out." I go "Okee dokee sis." And she performs a shoulder throw that Jigoro Kano would have envied. Needless to say, I hadn't yet learned to slap out, so, I took an unpleasant landing. To make a long story short (...too late...), my right shoulder is/has been about an inch lower than my left, I can't do dips or barbell front raises, and high-rep push-ups sometimes are a problem.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen to you. I'm sure you'll be smart and let it rest, follow the doctors orders, and consistently go to physical therapy. You won't (like some of us) simply put the arm in a sling for 2 weeks, because no one thought you had broken anything, because you only told your mother that you fell out of a tree and bruised your shoulder. :eek:

3. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Ive broken mine and I have no problems, a lot of children are born with broken collar bones due to hard births. Just make sure you do what your GP has told you and rest it until it has healed properly.

4. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

I broke my right one when I was 17. The Dr. made me wear some type of "man bra" that kept my shoulders somewhat pulled back so that it would heal properly. I felt like a goof wearing this thing...and tightening it was very painful. However it worked. It took me around 6 months to get my strength back. I have a bump where it grew back...but no other problems. It has been almost 20 years since then and I still can do high falls etc...without pain. Just follow your treatment plans and you should recover fine. The pain is the worst just after the break. I remember how it hurt just to cough...let alone sneeze. Hang in there.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If your slammed on your shoulder, you also have to be careful that you don't have a "seperated" shoulder, which is a tear in the ligaments holding the claviclel and shoulder blade together. Its what quarterbacks get when some hairy linebacker picks them up and throws them down on their shoulder.

6. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Listen to your physical therapist about anything; do the exercises, whatever they say.

My back got screwed up a couple years ago(car accident) and I went to the physical therapist once or twice a week...and everytime one of the many prety girls that worked there would give me a goooooood massage. I didn't wanna do the exercises and heal to fast or anything crazy like that, I was ready to take plenty of time healing.

I dunno if that's an option for you since I was 12 or 13 and healed pretty fast; you might be some ridiculously old age (like 20! ;) ) and end up messed up worse if you don't listen or something

7. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

If the bone's set/aligned ok for healing, put comfrey on it. Google comfrey to see what I'm on about.

Rgds,
    David

8. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I'll keep my man-bra on at all times then...no more showers for me :cry:
    The only problem now is that the stupid thing keeps coming off on the right side, and my roommate has a lot of difficulty figuring out how to put it back on :bang:

9. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I've got another quick question. I really don't trust doctors, so I'm going to ask people on an internet forum for help :p

A week after I broke my clavicle, I went back to the doctor so he could make sure I was healing ok. Pretty much all he did was touch my collarbone and then sent me to get an X-ray, which I'm not entirely sure that he even looked at...but when I saw it, the bone looked just about the same as it did the day it was broken. One of them is sort of sitting on top of the other one. The nurse rushed me out and told me to come back in 3 weeks, didn't even get a chance to talk to the doctor. I'm a little worried about it, is it supposed to look like that?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

the strapping you are wearing is there to ensure the bone settles back in. If the doctor was satisfied with your x-ray then you have nothing to worry about.