Best ways to gain strength a power, but NOT mass

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ytirad, Mar 18, 2004.

1. TheDragon

TheDragon Banned Banned

yoda i think you have been beat

2. OBCT

OBCT New Member

http://www.greenthumb.org/shape2/sas.html

"One of Lee's closest friends and an instructor in Lee's art of Jeet Kune Do, Ted Wong, recalls that "Bruce trained primarily for strength and speed." The physique -- while certainly appreciated by Lee -- came almost as a by-product of such training."
    http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html

Just find a good MA that you enjoy,get a girlfriend and train more.
    Weights, especially heavy ones put stress on your joints and compress cartlidge, which will leave you in agony when you get old.
    Steroids just shrink genetalia

Big muscle is usually watery and if you miss training a few times turns to flab, small tight muscle lasts for a lot longer before deteroirating, so you can afford to get the flu, go on holiday etc. and spend more time on cardio excercises, because internal fat is the real problem, ask any good boxer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  3. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

You need to train specifically for Hypertrophy to occur, and even then it won’t make you huge unless you are genetically predisposed to it or on the gear.

If you want to stay normal, but want more power I would recommend core stability training along with your normal training. I would also recommend trying to develop correct technique, if you have the correct skeletal alignment and dynamics your punching and kicking power will good, even if your only small.

The problems with weight training are that usually they only increase strength and power in plane of movement of the exercise. They also offer little in the way of core stability, or indeed stability in general. Martial Arts work in a dynamic and unstable environment, the better your core stability is, the better you will be able to use your strength. An offshoot of this is that you will be less susceptible to lower back pain, and if you already have lower back pain you may even be able to cure it, or at least reduce the problem.

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Hell yeah! once he set his mind on something he achived it, you gotta admit the guy IS exceptional, I would be Bruce Lee if I had his drive :D

Yep - I believe he himself said he took d-bol during his training days in the pumping iron vid

Thing is to get that big you don't just need to take steroids, it takes years of lifting like a maniac and 6 full meals a day totalling upto 4,000 cals and hundreds of grams of protien per day!

|Cain|

5. totality

totality New Member

you are poisoning the uninformed with your treacherous nonsense!!! ;)

but seriously...this is absolutely wrong.

these terrible heavy weights strengthen your joints, so that you'll still be kicking ass while everyone else is in a wheelchair.

6. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

No really, let me know when you get to the punchline, because this sounds like the start of a hilarious joke.

I can't even begin to tell you how truly absurd those statements are. I can only say...please, please, please, for the love of all things iron, read any of the numerous posts here on MAP regarding proper weight-training, also try www.t-mag.com or www.drsquat.com This should, hopefully, shake loose some of those frightening concepts you're citing.

7. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Your body is not designed to lift heavy weights
    http://ergonomics.ucla.edu/oldergo/Ergowebv2.0/articles/lifting.htm

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/02feb/laskow.htm
    http://www.newtownbee.com/Health.asp?s=Health-2004-01-22-15-05-14p1.htm

Injuries of the upper limbs are most common in bodybuilders and power lifters. A review of 358 bodybuilders and 60 power lifters showed major shoulder and elbow injuries in 40% and muscular injuries in 84%.5 In this sample and in other cases...Overuse injuries of muscle may lead to necrosis or ischemia and pain. There are numerous reports of uptake of the bone-scanning agents in damaged or ischemic muscle, due either to overuse or to compartment syndrome. Weight-lifting squats have been implicated in this form of muscle damage, specifically with regard to the adductor muscles of the thighs...Weight lifting and other sports that load the back in hyperextension are believed to cause microfractures...
    http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/sports/archives/0009vanderwall.29-32.si-.shtml (section on upper limb)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=20060916

although, weight lifting can be benificial to health, and has been used for this reason in most countries, I did specifically mean HEAVY weights, which the human body is not designed to hold.

8. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

If you do ANYTHING to excess it's not healthy, life is ablout balance.

Average Joe punter who lifts for strength and power gains and Mr Olympic Powerlifter/Body Builder are completley different animals with different goals in mind.

;)

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Am i the only one who wants to bulk up here? Sometimes i think so lol.

Lifting weights heavy weights really wont bulk you up like you think, it's the diet that does that.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yeah, but if you just eat loads and don't lift any heavy weights, you'll get fat :p

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Some of us have a weight category to stay in ;)

While I love being 80kgs I hate having my ass handed to me by 6' 4", 80kgs, all leg nightmares.

I prefer to bully the middle weights thank you very much. :D

12. Colucci

OBCT, Right off the bat, I want to applaud the fact that you have backed-up your statements with evidence and links. That's more than 80% of the goofballs here will do. However, with that said, I'd like to take a better look at those links you've provided...

Your first "ergonomics" link, when describing proper lifting form, is actually describing how to do a deadlift. Of course this is going to be the safest way to lift a load from the ground. This is something we all (hopefully) already know.

Your "physsportsmed" link, when discussing "Injury rates and risk factors" states that: "Poor technique, lack of supervision, skeletal immaturity, and steroid abuse are recognized as contributing factors." This is no surprise, as those 4 criteria top the list of dangers while weight-training. Again, nothing new or surprising here.

The "newtonbee" link states toward the end: "Although there is a clear association between aortic dissection and weight lifting, this is not a reason to avoid weight lifting and strength training." So there ends the discussion. However, I'd be interested in seeing how many dozens of healthy cases they went through to discover their 5 cases of this unfortunate occurance.

The "diagnosticimaging" link is interesting only because it singles out bodybuilders and powerlifters in their discussion of, what I can primarily see as, a tendency towards tendinitis and rotator cuff disease. However, let's examine major league baseball pitchers, and look at the frequency of tendinitis. Then let's examine NFL quarterbacks to look for rotator cuff issues. At the professional-level of any sport, you will find evidence of these types of injuries. The fact that certain sports involve lifting weights has no bearing whatsoever.

The final "NCBI" link seems only to be documentation on the effectiveness of scinigraphy, and does not provide any exercise-related data.

Again, I appreciate the fact that you found these links to support your ideas, but I still think that you are misinformed. If the human body was not meant to lift heavy weights, then how would you like us to get stronger, faster, and healthier? Any athletic activity carries with it some type of risk, whether we're talking about weight-training, in-line skating, jogging, or grappling with a Jiujitsu classmate. To let the possible chance for injury prevent us from beginning that activity means we're giving into paranoia and an unbalanced fear of something which is entirely preventable.

Warm-up before you lift weights, have a well-designed routine, be sure you know how to do your exercises correctly, and you're on the path to safe and happy lifting.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

EXACTLY ^^^^

If you're not going to lift because of the dangers, you might not want to cross the road today either.

14. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

informative thread :)

15. Colucci

Come to think of it, we should all probably stop typing so much on this thread. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, you know. :D

16. CodeRunner

CodeRunner New Member

I wouldn't want to bulk up because with what i do I need to be real flexible and fast. I only weigh 135 and I am pretty strong over the years of training i have developed tendon. When you bulk up if you don't use the muscle it will turn to fat. Like they say "If you don't use it you'll lose it"

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Wow, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about!

Bulking up will not make you slow or inflexible, unless you go on to rival mr universe and can't physically move to a certain range of motion. Bodybuilders actually tend to be very flexible, especially those who always train the full range of movement. It also takes years of hard training with heavy weights and a good nutrition/supplement programme to get any where near as big as those guys you see in bodybuilding. You don't just go down the gym a few times and get big, you have to really know what you're doing.

You don't develop tendons when you increase strength (well, maybe slightly in conjunction with muscle growth to give stability, but it has little to do with the strength increase). Tendons are what attach your muscles to bones, they just move/root bones about the joints when the muscles contract. You can't really develop them to do anything, not that it would do much.

Muscle turning to fat - Simply not true at all. Muscle does not "turn" into fat. If you don't use them in the right way, you will see some sort of atrophy (loss of muscle) but you most likely won't get fat from it, unless you are eating like a monster, in which case is still isn't muscle turning to fat anyway.

18. TheDragon

TheDragon Banned Banned

Bruce Lee's "Lethal Physique" Bodybuilding Program
    (performed on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)

Exercise Sets Repetitions
    Clean & Press 2 8
    Squats 2 12
    Pullovers 2 8
    Bench Presses 2 6
    Good Mornings 2 8
    Barbell Curls 2 8

19. Jeet

Jeet New Member

A lot of speed comes from your stomach muscles. If you want immense speed then focus on your abs and leave your arms as a secondary priority. If you think about the amount of movements you do in your MA you will notice that the majority of them include movement of the abdominal muscles. Power flows from this position.

I like to follow Bruce Lee's basic training for his stomach:

Of course others will disagree with my opinion but they're welcome to comment :)

Ohhh, sorry to double post but also take a look at this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6xx.htm

:)

USE THE EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2004
  20. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

weight training

To get back on the original topic...
    Do not worry about getting so big you become inflexible. That is nearly impossible to begin with.

You will have all sorts of people give you all sorts of advice on what exercises to do. I will just give you some generalities. Do what works for you, it will take a while to find that, but you have to learn your body. Mainly it is a matter of finding what you enjoy. Change things up from time to time (you don't want to get bored). What works for me may not work for you, and so forth. Next start off really easy and light (with higher repetitions) and progressively get heavier and heavier (with fewer repetitions) with the weights. If you go into a gym and try to max out everything, you will not be going back to the gym for a long time. The most important thing is learn good form and make sure you take at least one day off a week.