Being good at both sprints and endurance - possible?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by righty, Feb 22, 2011.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Sorry but that title is the best I can come up with.

Since the majority of people around aren't elite athletes who get paid to compete and train at what they do I figure it may be applicable to a few people.

Normally it's suggested to train in conditions that resemble what you could compete in. (I am saying compete rather than self defense because I am pretending you know what to expect). So for example, you know something might be 3 5 minute rounds then you go hard for 5 minute periods when training.

But what if I like doing other sports and activities as well. Something more towards endurance e.g. triathlon, swimming, bushwalking.

So would doing this sort of activity (lower intensity, longer sustained time) decrease the success rate or gains when training for more interval style events (higher intensity, shorter time perhaps with rest breaks) that's if time isn't a factor. And vice versa. By time not being an issue I mean time training in one doesn't take away training time in the other.

And what would the differences be between the social competitor and the serious competitor (but still amateur and has a life). Obviously things will be quite different for the elite competitor (professional) and something I'm not too concerned with there.

2. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Um.....yes. I'm not a fitness professional but I'm sure it's possible. No doubt though that the more you train one type of activity (be it endurance events or sprinting) the more the other type will suffer.

A good example I often use is an AFL footballer. These guys do repeat effort training (intense, sprinting) combined with longer distances. In a game they will be required to sprint multiple times in a short time frame but may often cover as much as 15-20kms within the total game time. Total game time is around 120 mins. These guys usually carry a medium level of muscle mass as well.

I suppose it depends on what your goals are. If you want to compete in a marathon but want to still have explosive power then I'm not sure what you can do. If, like you've said it's not at a high level then maybe you can do both but I think you'll have to comprimise on one in the short term.

In terms of your training time, maybe the most important factor is recovery. I can imagine training for both types at once may lead to overtraining/injury if not carefully managed.

Cheers.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

In Muay Thai the pro length round is five 3min. rounds with a 1min. break in between. So when fighters train to fight five rounds they usually will spar for 7 - 8 rounds or higher at high intensity in an attempt to compensate for the intensity of a real fight and all the adrenalin fatigue etc. There is no hard fast science here... different camps do different things. Much of the time the don't know why other than that those who have gone before them have done that and made it work.

Well you need to be clear. Are you doing triathlons? That is very specific skill set. Swimming could be anything from splashing in the pool to competitive swimming to open water competitive swimming. What sort of distances are you talking about and what sort of times are you hoping to achieve? Again you need to train specific to that.

I haven't done any triathlons and don't have much interest in that side of it. I do however enjoy the shorter distances aquathons where you have a run-swim-or a swim-run format. Recently I did a 750m swim followed by a 5k run. Very different than the normal training I do for the Muay Thai. You have to get the specific times in the water and on the road to have a good enough amount of carryover to not just collapse on the particular format. So I was swimming for five 50m lengths and then transition right to a run... so out off water right into shoes (wearing tri-suit btw) and off on a 2.5k run. I did this about 2-3 times a week for a few months before I got to the point where I could mentally deal with the challenge of a race. And then even at the race nerves kicked in. Go figure. I did a good time given these have been some of my first races... but if I hadn't trained specific to the event... forget it... I'd have done poorly.

Bushwalking? It's not competitive. So what does it matter. It's an endurance game primarily if you're going for distance. But I wouldn't even factor this in unless you are counting on massive distances.

In my experience yes. Unless you have all the time in the world to train. Let's not forget - training isn't just the hard work side.. you have to factor in eating, recovery (massage etc.) and sleep. Without that... all your doing is wearing down your central nervous system and risking injuries and fatigue.

Even in combat sports like Muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing and MMA you're looking at an approximate split of 30% aerobic to 70% anaerobic. So you can't have one to the sole exclusion of the other. There will always be some sort of mix.

I really dislike it when people make the distinction that a pro-athlete has no life. That's rubbish. He/she has chosen to make the athletic side the first and foremost part of his life at this point and time. It sounds derogatory to come off with:

but still amateur and has a life

Ok... that being said. You have to choose what you want. You can't have all things. Whatever you choose to do will dictate what your aerobic and anaerobic needs are.

Are you competing and fighting? Then your focus needs to be your anaerobic training. That will easily carry over to your bushwalking etc.

If you are competitively swimming then you need to focus on that. If you are doing triathlons - you pretty much only have time to focus on that. Especially with something like a triathlon. My mate is one of the top Asian competitors for triathlons. Twice IRON man qualifier and finisher with good times. Not to mention always first place in just about every Asian triathlon and all the sponsors and trophies to show it. But it's a lifestyle. I get him in the boxing ring and wreck him inside of a half round. He gets me in the open water and just becomes a dot on the horizon when I'm still scratching out past the shark nets.

Get my point? You need to train specific to what it is you do.:hat:

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Ahh I should clarify, I don't mean to be derogatory at all. What I meant is that professional fighters will do it as a career. While amateurs will still often to have another job to support themselves while training and fighting. I didn't mean along the lines of having no personal social life, but a life similar to the average joe off the street with a blue/white collar job.

You obviously need to train specific to what you do. But the trouble is I think I just want to do everything.

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Don't we all =P. There was a time that I felt the same way. I wanted to be strong and explosive while still being able to run 10-15 miles. At one point I was running about 5-6 miles every other day. I had so much trouble staying focused on the jog I figured I'd never have the toughness to do 15 mile runs. I've found weight lifting and interval training to be much more enjoyable so I'll just stick to that

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yes you can be good have both but it is relative, you wont be able to run a marathon and win the 100 meter sprint but you can meet somewhere in between the two with intelligent planning,

There is always a trade off, endurance and explosiveness generally rely on different energy systems and different chain reactions in the body are necessary to power them and training for one can be detrimental to the other if you try to train them at the same time.

With endurance training you are looking to do the following: Change heart function (notably to increase in how much blood is pumped per stroke)
    increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood (through both increased blood volume and increased hematocrit)
    increase capillarization around skeletal muscle
    Increase both mitochondrial number and density
    Increase levels of enzymes involved in energy production
    Increased buffering/utilization of acid (benifitial to anerobic work) anaerobic training is more geared towards decreasing Mitochondria and getting better at producing power without oxygen.

Both can have a positive impact on the other, a better aerobic system helps with recovery from heavy lactic training and allows you to use the system again quicker, anaerobic / sprint training can improve one measurement of aerobic ability VO2 max, and short sprints under aerobic threshold can be used to increase aerobic power,

The question is always how much endurance do you need, how much explosiveness do you require, which one do you need to work on first and then to set your training plan accordingly

7. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I think for fighting its actually a good thing to be modorately good at both.

8. hype50

hype50 New Member

Fittness and Sprint

That is Possible with most of what I have read....
    Mainly due to the fact that some people tend to over train in one aspect of their speciallity......

People either over :weightlifter: and neglect going a decent :running:. In the process then makes them a bit unbalanced.....
    A decent doase of everything is healthy and when it has been done enough....

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Good, yes. Great, no.

10. hype50

hype50 New Member

How come? :confused:

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They use different types of muscle fibre. To be great you need high proportions of the relevant fibre.

You can't have 80% of one and 80% of the other.

It's why marathon runners are very lean and sprinters are very bulky - they are both equally muscular (give or take), but they are different types of muscle.