asthma

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gaz shaw, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i was just curious who here at MAP has asthma. and whether or not it affects your training, i have asthma and most of the time i am fine how about everyone else.

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Ive got asthma, doesn't affect my training anymore and has gotten so much better since I started training. Ive not had to go to hospital with it in years.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

u guys should look iinto pranayama breathing methods... it's very effective against asthama. It can cure it...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I have asthma and about the only time it worries me is in winter. It has gotten better since I started MA and I know will get a lot better once i give up smoking.

5. TheHeianKid

TheHeianKid New Member

I'm asthmatic. It's not usually an issue, although sometimes if the weather is humid or unusually cold I get attacks. Really it's just a case of looking after yourself: regularly taking medication, especially bronchodilators.

6. dutch80au

dutch80au New Member

Yep, chronic asthmatic as a wee kiddie and and one of my earliest memories was being told by a doc that i might grow out of it when i was ten. On my tenth birthday i ran screaming down the road hoping it was over and damn near killed myself. Instant hospital trip. :bang:

Now i'm all grown up and i'm responsable with my preventative medication it don't stop me from doin MA or anything else for that matter. :D
    Glad to see it doesn't stop anyone else who has posted yet aswell!!

7. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

mild asthma. I take my ventolin (salbutamol) before class and then I don't have a problem.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I have asthma, just take your preventor every night and you should be fine. Swimming can cure asthma.

9. silly8philly

silly8philly New Member

I have asthma, It doesn't affect me too much anymore. Since i started running more often, yet if I'm feeling ill I take it before MA class or before I run.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes I do have asthma, it sometimes affects my training.

11. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I have it. Running outside in the cold during wrestling practices helped me get over it for the most part. :D

12. HandandFoot

HandandFoot New Member

Not usually a problem. It gave me trouble during my blackbelt test. 3 x 3 m inute sparring matches.

13. sayian

sayian New Member

Also have asthma, only affects me when training on intensive day's..

(3-4 hr straight training)

14. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Yup, asthma sufferer here. Sometimes I need a blast of reliever during training but it never gets in the way.

15. taekwondo_gurl

taekwondo_gurl New Member

I have asthma and it really gets in the way during sparring. We usually spar 5 or more matches and I usually have to sit at least 1 out which really disappoints me a lot considering Ive been doing this for a while.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

have it, and it did get in the way, no I puff my inhaler before every class. hate the inhaler, but hate the asthma more

17. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Yep, I have a problem with asthma but I refuse to give into it. I still train and do everything else even when I'm getting a little pain but I'm used to that one lol. The asthma is getting bad at the moment as I've got a lot on my mind which needs sorting but I'm trying to find help on that one.
    lisa xx

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I have mild asthma too - I take a single puff of ventolin before each class, regardless of whether I need it or not. Due to this I rarely feel wheezy whilst training any more.

I'd say having asthma *does* affect my training, as both my overall lung capacity and the speed with which I can inhale/exhale a full breath is about 80-85% of what is considered normal for my age, height and weight.

That said, isn't martial arts about being the best *you personally* can be? Just my 20,000 Lira on the subject. ;)

19. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

I have asthma. I take my inhaler thingy before training and it tends to help a lot. Want to know how to clear it up though, its a pain in the backside.

20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Get a steroid inhaler called seritide. That stuff cured my asthma.