Are you healthy or are you just not overweight?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bcullen, May 11, 2007.

1. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Interesting article, any thoughts?

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'm overweight and healthy :D

Good article though, a fast metabolism doesn't mean you're naturally healthy.

3. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

So true about the metabolism. My little brother has a very fast metabolism, but he's not very healthy. He eats junk food all day long. Where I have a slow metabolism, but I eat healthy and exercise. It has a lot to do with genetics too. It is a good article. I'm overweight but healthy as well. :D

4. bonita

bonita Valued Member

i just read the article online. because i lift and work out my bmi is higher, but my doctor says i'm in perfect shape so i don't think its a good indicator. my doctor has to do it for insurance reasons which i think makes no sense

5. Celeste

Celeste New Member

That was a really good article! Looks like I need to start exercising more. Which, I'll admit, is not something I really enjoy doing. =^.^=

6. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Find a sport/activity that you like. I got really into olympic weightlifting and now I find it hard to miss even one of the 5 workout sessions I have each week.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I saw this article the other day. All it really does is confirm that being uber-thin without working out isn't very healthy. We already knew that fact. anyone with a brain will tell you that optimal health = diet+exercise.

8. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I got weighed on some electronic scals today in Boots before work. Said I'm 79.8kg which I was happy with.

However, it said on the slip "Your weight is 12st 8lbs. Your ideal weight is 10st 8 lbs" (you enter height and build).

28lbs overweight?!?

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Did it claim to measure your body fat? If you lift weights, I doubt it's taking into account any extra muscle you might be carrying around. (And even if it did measure BF, I'm not convinced they're particularly accurate.)

10. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Nope. Just weight. I was still quite surprised though.

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I had fat round my liver through hep c - After treatment for the hep c I managed to shift it through exercise and diet, but the only way they found out it was happening was through a scan and the only way they found out it was better was through a scan.

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Despite the media misinformation, there is no causal relationship between body fat percentage and health. If you eat well and exercise, you have about the same risk factors as any other person with the same diet and exercise patterns. You are, as always, better off eating healthy and getting regular exercise then worrying about weight.

13. Celeste

Celeste New Member

I was thinking of taking bellydance classes, does that count? :D

Actually, once I get my apartment situated (I just moved in last weekend) I'm planning on getting off my butt and doing some jogging. Though, planning to do it and actually doing it are two different things. XD

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What? Do you not take martial arts? Who needs exercise when you do martial arts!? :D ;) :Angel:

15. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Yea, I do, but when I started the job I'm at now, it changed my schedule around so I can't go to class as much as I used to. ;_;

I also went to a job where I moved around a lot (day care anyone?) to a desk job, so that doesn't help either. XD

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

All the women I see bellydancing seem to be getting quite the workout...plus it has the added benefit of being bellydancing.

I'd try it myself, but I think I have about 5lbs too much belly atm.