Are burpees good cardio?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by shift, Jan 15, 2009.

1. shift

shift Valued Member

I here people say hill sprints are best cardio, but what if you don't like running or running just puts too much pressure on your ankles and knees over time?

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

if running is putting pressure on your ankles/knees, then burpees is not a good idea.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

A. Scientific studies are cropping up that shows that running actually improves knee health (maybe ankle too but I'm not clued up enough).

B. Burpees may or may not be good for cardio. I wouldn't know. They are however, a great exercise for your testicles, and if you do them often, you will have big manly ones.

So the moral of the story is that if you want big strong knees, ankles, and testicles, you should run and do burpees ;)

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

That made me lol.

Here's a question - why the hell are they called burpees?!

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Burpees best avoided by the ladies then?

Mitch

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I don't think anyone knows why, I tried finding out ages ago but there's nothing apart from a few hints they may have been created by Mr Burpee.

What burpees are great for is knocking out a few sets in HIT style before doing steady state cardio. High intensity work tends to increase the amount of free fatty acids in your blood, while steady state cardio uses them as fuel making this an efficient process for fat burning.

Or you could just do one of the prison burpee exercise routines about. My personal favourite is to do a single burpee, walk to the other side of the room, do 2 burpees, walk back and do 3 burpees and so on as high as you can. Stop once you reach your max or if you're a masochist work back down to one.

7. Yohan

I should try that sometime. I don't even know what my max burpees is in one set but I can bang out sets of tabata burpees like nobodies business.

8. Yohan

Nah they are good for the ovaries too. Burpees will make your ovaries healthy, develop a nice lavender shine, and smell like lillies (not that you'll ever find out). This is serious scientific fact here. Don't try to refute it. It's totally true.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well if the Font of all Health and Fitness Knowledge that is Yohan says so, it must be true! :hail: ;) :)

Just remember ladies, that when doing burpees, a good compression sports bra is your friend! :D

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

While you are lying on the couch could you please explain why this area of the female reproductive system would make you think of a flower that signifies death?:eek:

or is it?:confused:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/33978

Does little Yohan need resurrecting?:):):)

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I would define them more as an intensity exercise rather than a sustainable form of cardio - depending on how enthusiastically you do the movement you can really put your body under some serious strain which is great for conditioning.

However if your knees and ankles are protesting from even just running burpees will only make things a heck of a lot worse.

If you do have a problem with your knees/ankles or at least think you do consult a physio about it - not a doctor. They will be able to assess it and tell you how to fix it and also advise on the types of exercise you can do whilst sorting them out or else after.

One thing that does put a lot of strain on knees and ankles is running on hard surfaces - tarmac of course being the most common one. A lot of people these days run completely from their heel without any calf intervention which only makes things worse - the entire lower leg unit can act as a shockspring for everything else.

In terms of running improving knee and ankle health this is generally quite specific to the problem. In the case of my injury it was the worst thing I could do at the start because the muscles supporting the joint weren't operating properly. In the case of obese individuals the joint is protesting because they are frankly too fat. If they ran they would just add to the damage.
    Now my knees and muscles are just about working, running and regaining my natural movement isn't such a bad idea.

Cycling is pretty good but by far the best has to be swimming... good fun and pretty intense if you want it to be.

12. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

Remember, you can do burpies slow too, just stand rather than jump. I was told once that the main benefit was that every time you squat down you constrict your stomach, and raise the diaphragm, which makes it harder to breath. This helps to mimic fighting, where you are constantly contracting stomach muscle when you take a hit, so that you get used to it.

Maybe also, people that have eaten recently tend to burp when doing burpies? Could it be that simple?

13. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

Running places a hell of a lot more stress on my knees than doing burpees! I use burpees in my routine as a high intensity conditioning tool.

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

i do lots of burpees, thats why I have strong man testes.

15. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I had never actually heard that term before. Had to look it up.

We do a version of them in the U.S. Navy called '8-count body builders' where we add a few steps but basically the same thing.

They are great. Very similar to HIIT. I also believe in still going for long distance runs though, but if your knees/ankles can't handle that, I don't think this would be good either.

Didn't know about them helping the testicles though!! What a perk! ;)

16. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Can you elaborate on the '8-count body builders'? The main variation I've seen is adding types of pressups.

17. Custom Volusia

standing up

1)down to crouch

2)kick legs out

3)down 1st half of push up

4)up 2nd half of push up

5)kick legs into a spread eagle

6)legs back together

7)kick back to crouch position

8)jump up (or stand)

all to count in the group.

18. KingNoodle

KingNoodle Back In Black

Those sound good, man.

I was on a website called Rosstraining the other day and I found a link to an article called Burpee Conditioning. Here's the link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm.

I tried it out and I felt smashed afterwards.

19. Custom Volusia

That's actually the exact same page I came across when I looked up the term! That does look good, but I haven't tried it yet. I think I'm going to be doing them later today after I get off work (midnight here) for my Sunday cardio.

20. righty

righty Valued Member

Do you happen to have the references please?