Apples better than coffee in the morning?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CosmicFish, Sep 22, 2005.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I heard a rumour that eating an apple in the morning just after you wake up will perk you up more than a cup of coffee will. I've tried googling for info on this but all it's turned up is a load of "AmAzInG FaCtS" links! :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if this is actually true?
    Does anybody know why?
    Does anybody here actually do this? :)

2. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Well, if they do they work through very different pathways in the body.

The only way I see this being possible is by raising blood glucose levels, while coffee acts as a blocker (antagonist) on the chemical which makes you sleep.

This is pure speculation of course, except the part about coffee is from howstuffworks.

3. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I have an apple every morning and never drink coffee and I'm awake and energetic all day. I might have a more active excercise life than a lot of people. The more I exercise the more energetic I feel. My friend drinks coffee and acts like he's adicted. Like he can't function without it.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

1) No this science lite is total rubbish.

2) No need to know why... because it's a myth.

3) If they do it and they think it can hit their system like coffee...

then... they've never had well made cup of pure arabica bean coffee.

Ahhh... perfection. :D

5. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

This is a prime example of how one thing does not affect another. Lets take a look at an example:

1. Many people travel by airplain.
    2. Therefore, many people travel by car.

While both statements are true, #2 is not caused by #1. And now the case at hand:

1. You have an apple every morning
    2. You feel energetic all day.

This is not cause and effect. That being said, fruit in the morning is good for you. It just doesnt keep you awake like coffee does.

6. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I reread my post and understand your statement. When I originally wrote my post I was thinking that I was going to explain that exercise and a healthy lifestyle make me feel energetic. Somehow I got in a rush forgot to proof read. I wasn't trying to prove the apple theory.

However, I think people get addicted to coffee or caffeine and cannot function normally without it. Besides it tastes terrible to me.

Is coffee bad for you?

7. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

1. Coffee addiction works like this: (short version)

In daily activities adenosine is produced. Adenosine binds to its receptor sites in the brain and thus cause drowsiness and sleepiness. Coffee binds to this site instead of adenosine but is an antagonist (connects to the receptor site without causing the same effect as adenosine). So adenosine cannot connect to as many sites and so drowsiness and sleepyness does not occur.

So the coffee helps us stay awake (or forces us to stay awake..depending on circumstances) and also causes a release in adrenaline. After the effects wear off, you crash and feel tired and sleepy. So what to do? More coffee is what. Coffee has a half life of 6 hours in the body. That means 200mg of caffeine (about one large cup) is still at 50mg after 12 hours. This makes sleep a bit worse and so you wake up more tired. So you drink coffee.

And then your addicted.

2. In the short term, coffee has benefits. It helps with energy levels, keeping awake etc in the short term. The long term effects are bad however so usually, its not such a good idea for extended periods as then your "coffee self" actually becomes the old "normal self" so then you need coffee just to function at normal levels, not elevated levels.

Quitting coffee usually causes temporary depression, headaches and other symptoms. Its a tool that you can use to a certain means, but as a tool you must make sure you control it and it doesnt control you.

8. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

What about decaffeinated coffee? Does it have any health benefits/problems?

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hmm, I heard about this apple thing on the Discovery Channel.
    Who knows, it might just be a placebo.

10. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

It may contain some antioxidants (so does normal coffee), other than that I dont think so.

Most of the effects/benefits of coffee are fromt he caffeine.

11. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I recently heard a quote that went something like:

"Caffeine is a drug of dependence, not addiction. No one ever robbed a bank so they could get more caffeine."

Not sure how true this is, it may just be a scientist trying to make himself/herself famous with a soundbite.

12. CosmicFish

Well I guess they wouldn't need to since you can buy a huge jar of it for a couple of quid!

Incidentally, I know this isn't under strictly scientifically-controlled circumstances, but I tried the "apple when you wake up" thing a couple of days ago. Didn't have any noticeable effect. :rolleyes:

13. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I agree. When I drank tons of caffiene, I stopped cold turkey and only had very mild headaches for a couple of days, and no cravings or anything. People blow the whole caffeine addiction way out of proportion. which is a weird word if you think about it

14. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Pro-portion. Is that a portion that is no longer amateur?

Caffeine addiction is more about habit then anything else. When you've been waking up to the same warm taste for 20 years, its hard to stop. Its hard to stop anything that you've been doing everyday for 20 years.

For us young people, I dont think it's a problem to quit. At least, I hope it won't be!

15. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I'm sticking to my daily fix of caffeine otherwise I can be really moody and end up with biting someone's head of and you don't want me to do that do you :woo: :woo: :woo: .
    lisa xx :D

16. CosmicFish

Oh I don't know, I quite like being bitten.

17. Frenzy

Frenzy New Member

I don't drink coffee because I don't really need it. I only need sleep, if I sleep enough I'm always refreshed and energetic in the morning. I don't think coffee is too good because it can create addiction(no matter what some people say it's good for you).

18. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

I've been on caffeinated drinks most of my life. All kinds of caffeinated soft drink (I was drinking well over 3 litres of Dr Pepper per day sometimes), and now it's tea and coffee. I'm pretty sure I don't have an addiction though, since I can go without it and not have cravings etc. I just really love the taste (ok ok so I like the high too :D).

My only real problem is I tend to sleep pretty badly.

19. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I'm almost afraid to answer this one lol,
    could you give me an idea when and where you'd like to be bitten lol :D
    lisa xx :D

20. CosmicFish

OMG, is that an offer? :love:

In that case I'd like to be bitten on the nose at 12:45 tomorrow afternoon. Not too hard though please.