Any good rountine for the side abs?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by New Guy, Nov 16, 2009.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Rountines for the side abs (obliques)?

So I wanted to work on my core muscle groups.

I have been doing things like knee ups, leg raises, cycles, crunch, reverse crunch, hip thrusts, cross crunch.

But I feel like I am not working the whole waist, the 'sides' (obliques) seem to be not doing any work out... any exercise you might recommend for that? I prefer to do bodyweight at this stage.

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Walk on your hands.. lol, Seriously though how about getting yourself up in a wide grip pull up bar and bend your knees and bring them to each side for how ever reps at varying speeds or rotating waist etc..
    Holding side kick up for longer periods is good for this also during home workouts etc.
    Im sure someone more modern will answer your question lol, theres a few workout machines that centre on the waist etc
    good luck.

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

planks and side planks

are you really trying to develop your obliques to where you can see them? Unless you are cut to a six pack at all times, well developed obliques, when covered by a healthy level of body fat, frequently gives the apperance of a spare tire. There isn't one..but it looks like it.

If you are looking for a fit mid section and just want to know your whole core is working, a normal core workout that includes planks and side planks will do the trick.

4. liero

liero Valued Member

I find a good workout is laying sideways with someone on your legs and doing sideways crunches...

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Planks and side planks are good, as are hanging leg raises. I would also recommend using a Swiss ball.
    Try to avoid any machine work or equipment that is supposed to target the abs. This is because as soon as you sit on a machine, lay on the floor etc, many of the stabilizing muscles switch off, because the floor or particular piece of equipment is doing the stabilizing for you.

6. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Oh yes I really meant the obliques, excuse my non-native English. :D

I am not trying to cut down to a six pack, it is just that, I am feeling that my core strength are lacking during MA training... so I just want to spend more time in addition to my normal routine.

Thanks everyone!

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Windshield wipers and russian twists target the obliques nicely and can be done weighted as you improve.

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

turkish getups :) I know that's my answer to everything, but in this case they really are the answer.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hahaha... props to those who posted windshield wipers and Turkish get-ups. Yes those two are complete ass kickers. With lots of room for progression either by reps or by weight or by both!!!

There's a lot that can be done on a Swiss/Fit ball as well. Much more of an isolation movement than either the Turkish or the windshield wipers... but nice for some variation.

Laying flat on your back with Kettlebells/Dumbbells/Olympic bar/weight plates pressed out over in a benchpress type fashion while doing your windshield wipers is a great way to make them a bit more focused. The weight actually makes the movement a tad easier because it counterbalances the weight of the legs... however having two cannonballs press over your skull (as in using KB's) helps to keep you a tad more focussed!!! :D

If you're going to windshield wipers try two variations... one where you use primarily obliques where the legs just barely come to above the mat in the downward portion of the movement... and one where... you get over on the the side of the hip... you'll find if you go to the hip you really get a workout much higher up the side of the torso as well... nice variation that.

Just a word to the wise... many movements that people think are ab workouts are actually hip flexor movements. Not many people actually get that.. so they wonder why their abs and core aren't getting stronger... well if they'd look at what they're actually working they'd realize it's the hip flexors... which isn't bad to work... it's just not the abs. :p

10. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Hmm I have never heard of windshield wipers or Turkish get-ups, does anyone have any reference url by any chance? I sure can look it up on YouTube and Google and I will, but if you know some well explained video or url that would be good too!

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

12. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Ohhh I have actually done those before!! Should have pay attention to the names when the coach say it eh!!!

Cheers!!

13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I try to all of the oblique exercises ax chops, barbell and medicine ball twists, cross crunches, one armed deads but overhead windmills either dumbbell or kettlebell. Those have had the best results for me I noticed increased range of motion and improvements in all the other oblique exercises. I think others r calling windshield wipers what i call windmills. Couldn't double check on my phone but if I happen to be mentioning another exercise I hope it helped. If I just saying the same thing unknowingly all apologies

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Spiderman push ups.

15. f4phantom2500

f4phantom2500 Valued Member

Here you go:

http://www.24hourfitness.com/resources/fitness/articles/best_worst.html

I don't remember where it was, but I was able to find a .pdf file last year sometime that actually showed how effective each of these exercises was relative to the standard crunch, and if I recall correctly the top 2 exercises are each about 3x as effective as a standard crunch for both the rectus abdominis and obliques. As you can see, the captain's chair is #1 for obliques and #2 for the rectus abdominis, whereas the bicycle crunches are #1 for the rectus abdominis and #2 for the obliques. From what I remember the differences in effectiveness for the two exercises in each category was fairly slim and averages out between the two. But of course, it's never a bad idea to do multiple exercises. I was recently doing 400 of the captain's chair exercises a day and they really do help definition tremendously on both.