ankle-wrist weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kabba kick, Dec 7, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

i got a pair of ankle and wrist weights and there greath i have about 3 lbs on both feet and same with the wrists ive had no problem with thems o far(about 2 weeks) but i just realized i probably shouldve asked around about them
    so if theres anything i need to know about them please share

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Use them as door-stops or paper weights.

That's pretty much their only good use.

3. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

ive been noticing some progress with them,i think my stamina went up alittle bit cause of running,im not really sure but i think its helping me get faster,not saying that i am

can anyone specificly say why these weights are bad?

4. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

You risk long term joint damage and hyperextension.

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

The gains you notice are from a placebo effect. Its not the weights, its your thinking. Mind over matter man :)

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

yeah
    ankle/wrist weights= bad stuff. it messes up your natural stide when you walk. My old track coach basically kicked someone off the tem cuz he wouldnt take his off when training.

7. Funky Phantom

Funky Phantom Valued Member

You mean weighted clothing isn't the way to train!? :eek:

But I saw it in Dragonball Z... :D

8. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

*whisperd* well I do train with a greatsword the size of coffe table but dont tell anyone

9. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i strap them in my legs when doing pull ups. that's the only use they get after i realized it isn't good to jog with them.

10. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

crap,so theres NOTHING good about them?why the hell do they keep selling them if there so bad for you?

is it alright if i wear when im not working out?like at school or hanging out?
    when i take them off my stride is fine, and i spar fine too ist probably cause i havent had them that long

i have to wear a 35 lb aircylinder on my back for firefighting is this bad too?,the weight is resting against my hips or waist,not my shoulders or my back actually

whats placebo affect??

11. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

maybe straping them over your waist during dips and chins would be a good idea.

12. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

The weight itself isn't bad, its the fact that you are adding extra force on your joints that you are not used to dealing with when you swing around a weight on your limbs. Imagine driving a compact car every day for 14 years and one day someone were to attach a trailer with a gold plated boat to the back of your car without you knowing. You take the car on the highway and up ahead of you an accident takes place and you slam on your breaks just like you would in this situation during the 14 years that you have been driving; only now your car has several times the momentum and slams right into the overturned fuel tank that is strewn across several lanes.

The aircylinder isn't on a limb, so it isn't causing any pressure on joints like your elbow that can be damaged when you hyperextend it.

A placebo is basically a sugar pill. Someone tells you that this medication, training method, labedo enhancer etc et will make you better, stronger, hornier and you believe it; despite the fact that it isn't actually doing anything.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  13. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

They keep selling them because most people don't realize how close to useless they are. :bang: Stories about the dangers of these weights are something you've got to search for, and most people wouldn't think of it until they had chronic pains and maybe a trip to the orthopedist to find out why.

On the other hand, a class-action lawsuit might persuade some manufacturers to drop them in favor of products with more to offer. :woo:

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The other problem with them is that they're recommended in certain kung fu texts, and some people are emotionally attached to this method of training.

15. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I used to run with them on every now and then. You feel light on your feet when you take them off but that's partly the placebo effect and partly a genuine response to the load removal.

I stopped doing it fairly quickly once I realised that my hips and knees were being pulled about too much whilst wearing them. If I was you I would take the advice given here and stop wearing them rather than wait to find out the hard way.

The only thing I use them for now is lower back (multifidus muscle) strengthening exercises.

W

16. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

As noted above using them with chins helps. I use them for neck workouts with my resistance ball. 1 set of 10 each direction and some bridging drills once a week gives a good neck workout.

17. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

sunuva.........
    theres $20 out the window,well ill probably try that chinups idea

thanks