Add some shoulder width

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Estrix, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I want to increase the width across my shoulders a little. Actually only about an inch really...the reason is a bit long winded.

Anyway, I was hoping some one could suggest a good exercise or two for this specific aim.

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Personally I'm a big fan of upright rows coupled with lateral dumbell raises for increasing shoulder width as well as traps (which can never be too developed, lol).

Thing with uprights is they can place a good deal of stress on the wrists and forearms so its important that your elbows remain has high as possible during the lifting portion of the movement. I typically tell people to focus on starting the motion AT the elbows.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Shrugs and overhead presses will do a lot for you.

4. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Thanks guys. Will get right on it.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Bigger lats will add a good bit of thickness.

Overhead press is king for width, push presses will have a surprising effect too.
    For traps i like power and hang cleans, high pulls and face pulls.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would also recommend against barbell upright rows if you have any shoulder issues. I've talked to a number of physios and read a numner of articles that say upright rows can do damage in the long term.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/five_exercises_you_should_stop_doing_forever