accidently made kid throw up while teaching tkd class,need help with teaching

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kabba kick, Dec 17, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

sry about the crappy name for the topic,couldn't really think of a good one

but so anyways,last week i was teaching the younger kids(about 8-12 years old,all of them brown and higher) so after streching i made them get on there elbows and toes and stay like that for a minute,now ive done this execise for about 2 months and alot of kids seem to like it,the parents are even telling me they do it at home along with other execises i make them do,

wellmlast week i was doing my thing,yaddayaddayadda

and at about 45 second one of the older kids of the bunch falls flat on his face and throws up,my first reaction was,"O ****,ive been working these kids to hard,im gonna get yelled at by a parents for sure this time" but he got up, cleaned it up got some water and was back into class as if nothing happened

my question was, is there anyway to guage a how a kids holding up physicay during class?i cant ask him because they all answer with "im fine", i was watching him the entire time and he was breathing normally so i dont know whats up

2nd question: the kids i usually help train are pretty different in physicaly,how am i supposed to take it easy on some of the kids and go at normal pace for the others without making the "slow"kids feel bad?
    i have to keep them in one group,multitasking is kinda hard for me and id loose track of where i am with each group

question 3: should i just not worry about?,i apologized to the kid father later for over working him,but since hes 40 year old,ex soldier in korean army and all that mess, he insisted that his kids needed to practice harder at home and at the dojang,and thank me for "breakinh him in"

question 4:how you get the smell of vomit out of carpet and the mats??????

i swear i went over that same spot with like 10 different soaps and cleaners and its still kinda pugnant

i guess it wasn't really my fault,but i still feel like crap

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. BigJoe15

BigJoe15 New Member

Cant help you on the smell thing but is it a possibility he was ill? or ate too much? Some people are just prone to being sick and things like that. I would drop the intensity slightly then steadily build it back up to see if anyone else is sick. It was prob just one of those days!

BigJoe

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Yeah if it's one thing a student should never do, it's eat too much before class. I really don't think there's anything you could have done to prevent that, because if the kid was acting normally, then there'd be no way to predict an impending vomit.

Good luck getting that smell out, though. Hope you don't have to dry-clean the mats or anything.

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

for the smell, call into a local car parts shop, they have some excellent fabric cleaners....guy puked in my car, and the stuff was great, can look up the name of it for you if you like??

5. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Sorry, can't help you with the teaching - I have no experience in that. But for the smell:

Grab spray bottle and fill it some kind of alcohol spirit - like metho. Spray it on the area and leave for a little while. Do it again if you need to, and perhaps rub it in.

Then use water to give one more once over and soak up.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You know, I put my body in a lot of uncomfortable poses and all sorts of things but I just tried that exercise and it really sucks on the elbows. I'm now wondering why you would pick that one instead of a billion others that are just as hard but not as hard on the elbows.

But then, it could just be me.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Just a few opinions.
    1.It's hard to judge- make it clear to the class that if they're feeling bad, THEY HAVE TO TELL YOU. My old karate sensei was always very clear on this point.
    2.With group exercise, it's kind of hard to do this. With adults, you're dealing with people who do most of their exercise outside class anyway. With kids, you just have to tell them to drop out if they feel they can't handle it.
    3.I think his dad has the right attitude :D
    4.Disinfect the carpet and mats. Any household grade disinfectant will do, diluted to about 5 parts water to 1 part disinfectant. Try and get one of those pine-scented ones. You might need to wash the carpet (and mat interiors if it's made of a material where 'juices' from the vomit can ooze through).

8. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Actually, unless the kid came into class with some kind of illness, it is entirely your fault. You're supposed to be in charge, and you've been given the responsibility of caring for these children for an hour or so during class.

The move you described sounds like a plank. It's a great move for the core, but a minute straight is going to be tough for most people. An easier version would be to simply hold the top part of a push-up, arms straight. Also try 2 or 3 sets of a 15-count, not one minute straight.

Kids will never tell you they can't/don't want to do an exercise ro anything you tell them. It's the responsibility of the instructor to monitor them. Make sure they take water breaks, since most kids are dehydrated most of the time anyway. Even if they appear to be breathing normally, watch for trembling, as the muscle fatigues. Also, grimacing or making faces is a sign. Most importantly is any deviation from proper form. For example, during the plank, if the backs droops down or sways up at all, the exercise is over. I don't care if it's after 90 seconds or 6 seconds. Breaking proper (and safe) form means it's gone too far.

Then you have 3 choices. 1 - Get an assistant instructor. 2 - Become a better instructor yourself. 3 - Get a new job.

Once your shortcomings as an instructor (no offense) begin to affect the class and your students in a negative way, something has to change immediately. If none of the 3 options above seem possible (hopefully, 1 or 2 would work), you have no choice but to design your "workouts" with the less-fit students in mind. Look at it this way, if you were forced to teach a class with 18 yellow belts and 2 brown belts, would you go over all brown belt techniques? Or would you have everyone do yellow belt techniques, because it won't hurt the brown belts to review some basic yellow-belt ideas? I find it hard to believe that the class you are teaching has some amazingly fit kids, and some very not-so-fit kids. Odds are they're pretty similar, so it won't do any harm in "dumbing down" the workouts from now on.

Sorry I can't offer any housecleaning tips. It's disturbingly interesting that just as many people have offered cleaning advice as teaching advice. Maybe the odor will serve as a reminder to take it easy from now on.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Am I the only one who finds it strange that this kid barfed while doing an isometric?

10. Eero

Eero Valued Member

No, if I were that boy I would visit a doctor.

11. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I think he maybe ate his dinner right before coming to train......nothing can make you sick as quick as that

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

It's more likely that this kid was sick from something else or simply didn't eat enough.

At least you aren't encouraging it. I had a hockey coach in high school that believed if you didn't throw up on the ice at least once during tryouts, you weren't working hard enough.

13. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Throwing up happens. It happened at our karate school I believe once or at most, twice with our little ones. What happens is they get home from school, pig out, do their homework, then have dinner (some just go straight to karate and eat dinner there), then they get taken to class, and voila, half way in they let loose! Maybe you should check who ate how much before class, or simply tone it down a bit. It's quite odd he puked during an isometric. Never in my life have I ever felt nauseated from an isometric. Now running, pushups, weights, etc....that's another story. :D

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I found that strange too. Seems more likely that the kid was already ill.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Maybe his chi thought he was doing a plyometric? :D

I think he probably ate something, and the wierd position just made it come back up. I mean, if he was well enough to come back to class, he couldn't have been overworked or sick.

PL

16. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

i was moving through drills and other exercises kinda fast, but im nothing close to a knowlegable in.....exercisology or whatever its catagorized in

im not sure if that is relating to his vomiting or not

thanks for posts, 'preciate it

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

maybe due to the movement on the class and the(probably) agitated breathing the food juest kept revolving in his stomach, and when he settled down for the isometric the "barfing movement" became uninterrupted enough for the food to come out, it's happened to me but i don't know if that would be the explanation

18. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Sorry dude, I goota go with BeWater on this one. Let's face it, your teaching abilities...are wanting. It's the responsibility of the instructor to monitor the well-being of his/her students. So on to the A for the Q:

1. Everyone here has an opinion on this.
    2. This is precisely the reason why advanced students should have separate training sessions than the newer ones. If you have to mix them up together, positive psychological reinforcement can discourage the "slow" kids from feeling bad while encouraging them to improve.
    3. You should worry about your failure to control such factors. This says a lot about the kind of teacher that you are. About the kid's father though, I think this may be related to why your student threw up.
    4. Maybe you should try drying them under the sun?

As a final note, even if you are not an expert on sports science, you should at least try to learn. There are a lot of good information out there and most of them are free. It is also part of your responsibility as a teacher to do this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004