A Bruce Lee Body

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jordan, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Btodd

Btodd New Member

Very true. Squats can also tear you up pretty bad if not done right.

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

But squats just ROCK so much they can't be left out!

3. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

If he used that crap then why was he small, I mean like cut up but small...He would be like those huge bodybuilder types and Bruce Lee believed big muscles slow you down, Like some people pointed out, Bruce trained for mostly speed but if he took steirods then he would have been perhaps slow.

4. gooner

gooner New Member

as for your lower pec (sternal portion) development try:
    Decline presses (barbell or dumbbells)
    Decline fly's
    Dips

and as for lower abs try:
    reverse crunches
    frog kicks
    leg raises
    and hanging leg raises

now to get shredded like bruce you need to loose bodyfat without loosing muscle. In order to do that you need to train hard (both resistence and aerobic training) and keep yourself in a slight energy deficit, consuming fewer calories than you require, so you use bodyfat for the balance of energy you need, also keep weight loss slow. to much aerobic training and overtraining will lead to muscle loss.
    Also remember for a proper proportioned body and aesthetic physique vary your routine and exercises for each muscle and hit them from all differente angles.

5. Knight_Errant

Actually, if you did bruce lee's routines, you'd probably get BIG. He had quite bizarre genetics...

6. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

how do you mean bizarre genetics - care to elaborate.

7. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Yeah, Some genetics but most of it he work for.

8. Knight_Errant

He had genetics that allowed him to see strength benefits without much bulk. I think I was pretty self-explanatory. Nothing special about his routines- therefore it must be the hardware.

9. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I see alot of people talk about " getting big" as though it is something that happens overnight. Getting big takes years of hard work, especially if you are natural. To do the workouts Bruce did would have been counterproductive to gaining alot of mass as the levels of cardio would also affect his muscle mass. I have seen people with a Bruce Lee type body, and it is not that difficult to get. Alot of hardwork yes, but there is not secret. Workout hard, keep the diet clean, do alot of cardio. Keep alot of your reps higher, and don't go overboard on isolation exercises.

10. Knight_Errant

except that, for MA, it's best to keep the weights big and the reps lower.
    Since when was bruce lee the voice of training orthodoxy? He'd turn in his grave if it wasn't that he was already spinning at a rate of knots from all the 'I wanna be bruce' chappies.

11. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Yes and no. Strength is developed in the lower rep range, but so is optimal muscle growth. The reps and weight all depend on your goals.

12. Knight_Errant

well yeah, but muscle growth is what you want.

13. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Not always.

14. Knight_Errant

in any case, you really shouldn't be paying much attention to how pretty and bruce-lee-like you look. TRAINING FOR A LOOK IS A DEAD END FOR A FUNCTIONAL MARTIAL ART PLAYER. MA needs POWER, i.e. big loads, low reps.

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

YAY!!!!

*Applause

16. Knight_Errant

*begs for a biccie*
    ...and also, if this goes on, I'm going to start a 'A Linda Lee body' and a 'R2-D2 body' thread :D

17. Len

Len Valued Member

You guys know that prior to Enter the Dragon, which was the point that everyone seemed to go nuts on taking pics of him, he was the most ripped? Why you ask? Cause he had that Macy Universal Machine that he did circuit training with. Basically going up to one of those multi-stationed machines, finding out your max for one rep, lowering the pin to half that weight, going as fast as you can on each exercise for one minute then moving to the next station without a break. This was said to really give him the ripped look that he had. All this on TOP of running everyday, throwing a billion punches and kicks, doing an ab and forearm workout from hell, stretching, hitting every available bag associated with boxing and martial arts, and eating a sensible diet. Bruce Lee didn't watch how many carbs he ate, how many proteins, etc. In his book "The Art of Expressing the Human Body", Linda said that he ate a well balanced meal of whatever I made. He ate fat in his meals. The reason he didn't have any when you looked at him is cause he would burn everything off cause his metabolism was like a 6 cylinder engine on a porche.....it was always reved up ready to go regardless of how long the man worked out. And basically aside from studying, reading, and visiting martial arts schools and tournaments prior to movie making, working out is all he did. Every day, all day. If you did that, you could free up your diet a little cause nothing would be kept on you that you intaked before hand. Oh yeah, and like KickChick said earlier...the man also lifted free weights which is why his back looked like a dam cobra and he had muscles that made him look like a professional lightweight boxer.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

This thread is absolutely ancient, and I think it's served it's purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.