A Bruce Lee Body

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jordan, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Why does everyone want a bruce lee body for gods sake?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

silly bruce lee fetishism. Can you hear that slight 'thump', just at the edge of your hearing? That's bruce Lee, turning in his grave!

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

(In sales pitch), "You too can have freakishly huge muscles and close to no body fat if you take our 4 week Bruce Lee diet! All you have to do is genetically modify yourself with ludicrous amounts of testosterone producing steroids, lift weights all day without any regard to your personal life, and go on a binge diet! Did I mention you have to have 15 personal trainers attending your personal needs and a computer airbrush? Side effects may include increased estrogen levels, odd development in the pectorals, and a gigantic drop in your sense of virility."

Sorry, the hilarious Canadian humour is getting to me. Ah, Vancouver... great coffee over here. :D

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

5. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

My guess is a mix of alcohol and the painkillers he was on since his back injury.

6. Knight_Errant

My guess is that he died of disgust after realising that what he started would degenerate into a cult.

7. redbull

redbull New Member

very simple 90% of what u read is BS.

if u train your body every day u will overtrain in the short run, eventually your body will be force to accomodate to your training and get used to it, then u are no longer overtraining. That is if u don't injure yourself beforehand.

if u train once or two times a week u wont overtrain at all but u might undertrain, that is see no or less than optimal results.

so for best results most sport scientist recoment 3 to 4 times a week for weight training, but in reality, u want to train the least amount of times per week that produces the best results (maximun efficiency with minimun effort) and this is very hard to figure out. You must time the time between workouts just right to achieve optimal growth. a oversimplified example of how this works is as follows, growth is a cycle, that is u grow for a couple days after a workout then u'r body realises that hey it doesnt need to maintain all that muscle so u begin to shrink again. so if u can time it just right and exersise again on the last day of your growth cycle, then u will always achieve maximum return. to figure out your growth cycle u must experience with different routines and see what works for YOU.

-
    -
    - -
    - -(Workout again)
    -
    - -
    - -(Workout again)
    -

kind of like that.

8. Knight_Errant

It's also a question of genetics- Brucie may have been naturally well disposed to lose fat, put on strength with comparitively little extra mass etc. Again, remember what bruce lee was really trying to tell us about- Self. Critical. Thinking. Pick up a good, modern routine such as the ones at http://www.hardgainer.com and follow it. Do not do any of the following things brucie did:
    Weighted good mornings
    tortuous variations
    overtraining
    . Forget about 'looking like bruce lee'. There's not a whole lot you can do about the way your particular body reacts to resistance. Concentrate on weight on the bar.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Nothing wrong with those, so long as you do them right. They are in fact a very good exercise for the lower back and posterior chain. Bruce Lee got a serious injury by doing it carelessly with too much weight and no warm up, which just shows the importance of being prepared and concentrating when exercising with weights.

10. b33p

b33p New Member

in fact everyone has a six-pack it may not be a brilliantly developed one, but we all have one, all you need to do is lower your body fat percentage, situps, crunches etc dont burn the fat from your stomach they just build the muscles.

good mornings are also great exercises to help prevent injury in the back

thought id make a brief statement, as im busy

11. Knight_Errant

Yeah, but how many of us always warm up and use perfect technique every time? unless you are some kind of superman, this is a dangerous exercise.

12. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

with all due respect you are talking rubbish. good mornings are excellent for developing the back and are one of the fundamental back exercises. If you perform any kind of weight training exercise without a proper warm or with poor technique or too heavy a weight then that is dangerous. Its not the exercise that is dangerous but the idiot who does it incorectly and/or does not prepare themselves properly for it.

13. Adam

Adam New Member

Ah. Kind of like back bridging then? ;)

14. Knight_Errant

with all due respect, YOU are talking rubbish. Some exercises take a lot of mucking up, like bicep curls. Others damage you if you neglect quite minor points of technique, like weighted good mornings.
    Adam: SHADDAP ABOUT YA GOD DAMN HEATHEN BACK BRIDGE!!!!!

15. Ad McG

True, but once you master the form, they are notoriously good. Just make sure that you are doing them properly!

16. Knight_Errant

fair enough- one thing it ISN'T though, is a beginner's exercise.

17. Ad McG

Agreed.

18. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Agreed!

19. Btodd

Btodd New Member

Hope I don't get flamed on my first post here. I just wanted to say, it does not take a Superman to learn how to correctly execute an exercise. Although I see good mornings and many other types of exercises done wrong and sometimes people get hurt from them. I think, even before attempting to do something as simple as push-ups, curls, even running, one should learn how to do them correctly and effectively, for your own sake.

Major-body exercises such as pull-ups are great for getting your body-fat % down so your abs are visible. Another good practice is interval training, such as:

Sprinting for 30-45 secs
    Jogging for 1 min to 2 min
    Sprinting for 30-45 secs
    Jogging for 1 min to 2 min
    *do this for about 20-25 minutes 3 times a week*

20. Knight_Errant

On the other hand, certain exercises, such as good mornings, are relatively easy to mess up badly whereas others, such as running or pushups, have to be really screwed up to hurt you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.