Zinowor's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Zinowor, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Alright, before I write down my training log I will first talk about my expectations from this training schedule.

The primary point of this training schedule is to strengthen my upper body. The secondary points of this schedule are to improve my cardio and refine my karate skills. The last one could be a primary point on its own, but I already have a schedule (if you could at all call it that) in place for that one, so all I'm doing is adding another schedule on top of that one.

Before you read on, you should know that I'm mostly doing this for vanity reasons and also because I like to workout. Anything else is like a bonus to me.

This is the first time I've ever wrote down my training log, so bear with me. I'll try to keep it neat and tidy for reading comfort.

I will be starting this schedule starting from next Monday. I work at home, so my situation is pretty flexible concerning working out.

Monday.

- practice pinan yondan and pinan godan for 10 minutes.
    - practice ohyo kumite by imagining an opponent, for 10 minutes.

- do some grip training, close COC 1.5 as many times as I can in a row with my left hand and then after a bit of rest hold it closed for 10 seconds.
    - same thing with my right hand but with the COC 2.0, which I can't do 2 consecutive closes with, but I try to close as many times as I can with the rest I need. And then finish with holding it closed for 10 seconds.

- after proper rest, do some some relaxed bag work for 10 minutes. Going from 20 to 50 percent intensity.
    - increasing the pace with shorter intervals between combinations and adding power punches. Going from 80 to 100 percent intensity. I do this for 15-20 minutes with 30 second rests when I start to drop the intensity level below 80%.
    - take a rest and then do 3x 10 slow pushups
    - after fully resting up, run 5km at a set pace

Tuesday.

On Tuesday I have karate class, on this day it's usually low to medium intensity and we end the session with sparring for 10-15 minutes.

There is a pull up bar in the corner where I do 2x 10 slow pull ups after the class and call it a day.

Wednesday.

I was actually going to use this day for weightlifting, but my subscription at the sportsclub was changed to 2x a week (instead of 3x which now falls under unlimited and costs more) which I use for the karate classes. I have 2 10kg dumbbells at home, but it feels a little lacking without a bench. So now I'm debating whether I should get the unlimited subscription or switch over to bodyweight exercises.

I'm not looking to become a prospect bodybuilder, but I'm wondering if bodyweight exercises are a good alternative.

Thursday.

Primarily used a day for recovery.

- practice pinan yondan and pinan godan for 10 minutes.
    - practice ohyo kumite by imagining an opponent, for 10 minutes.
    - do some some relaxed bag work for 20 minutes. Going from 20 to 50 percent intensity.

Friday.

On Friday is the second karate class, but this one usually has a medium to very high intensity level. After class I do 2x 10 slow pull ups. I'm often pretty spent after this class, so I don't think it's a good idea to do anything else on this day.

Saturday.

- either lifting weights or doing bodyweight exercises.

- do some grip training, close COC 1.5 as many times as I can in a row with my left hand and then after a bit of rest hold it closed for 10 seconds.
    - same thing with my right hand but with the COC 2.0, which I can't do 2 consecutive closes with, but I try to close as many times as I can with the rest I need. And then finish with holding it closed for 10 seconds.

- after some rest, do some some relaxed bag work for 10 minutes. Going from 20 to 50 percent intensity.
    - increasing the pace with shorter intervals between combinations and adding power punches. Going from 80 to 100 percent intensity. I do this for 15-20 minutes with 30 second rests when I start to drop the intensity level below 80%.
    - take a rest and then do 3x 10 slow pushups
    - after fully resting up, run 5km at a set pace

Sunday.

Nothing.

Comments and critique are very welcome. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

So uhm, yeah... I pulled my hamstring while walking the dog today.

From a random impulse (why god, why?), I decided to do a 100m sprint race with a labrador, I forgot my tired muscles were completely frozen from the cold and that I get too competitive with speed contests. So of course I ran at 110% and naturally my body told me to take a hike and contract my hamstring in an effort to rip it completely.

The only good news is that my hamstring didn't get torn.