Zanbatou

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by saikyou, Sep 30, 2003.

1. clb

clb New Member

seffys sword

seffys sword that huge katana is a real sword it is called a zwhander i may of misspelled it if so i am sry it has a 6ft blade with a 1ft handle totle is 7ft its blade is 4ins wide to really use it u cant move to much keep feet planted and swing up to down stab or slash unless you really strong you can use moves with it i am only 5'5 and 144lbs so i can move alil and swing

2. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

What?
    I hope you're aware that this makes no sense what so ever! :)

If you weren't aware of it, well ... your post makes no sense what so ever. Now you know.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

4. Valentinez

Valentinez New Member

The Swords

Sephiroth Carries The Masamune, the Sword of Life, The Murasama is a Bloodthristy Weapon [its really Ironic huh?]. Both are named after their Respected Makers. These Swords are Brothers in this respect.
    Both are Nodachis, now Nodachis were carried by Fieldmen, it was a means of reaching the men on hoseback, like a polearm, but a sword. Here is the Legend of the Masamune and the Murasama.

A Legend Of Masamune and Murasama blades...

A legend tells of a test where Muramasa challenged his master, Masamune, to see who could make a finer sword. They both worked tirelessly and eventually, when both swords were finished, they decided to test the results. The contest was for each to suspend the blades in a small creek with the cutting edge facing the current. Muramasa's sword cut everything that passed its way; fish, leaves floating down the river, the very air which blew on it.

Highly impressed with his pupil's work, Masamune lowered his sword into the current and waited patiently. Not a leaf was cut, the fish swam right up to it, and the air hissed as it gently blew by the blade. After a while, Muramasa began to scoff at his master for his apparent lack of skill in his making of his sword. Smiling to himself, Masamune pulled up his sword, dried it, and sheathed it. All the while, Muramasa was heckling him for his sword's inability to cut anything.

A monk, who had been watching the whole ordeal, walked over and bowed low to the two sword masters. He then began to explain what he had seen.

"The first of the swords was by all accounts a fine sword, however it is a blood thirsty, evil blade as it doesn't discriminate as to who or what it will cut. It may just as well be cutting down butterflies as severing heads. The second was by far the finer of the two, as it doesn't needlessly cut that which is innocent and undeserving."

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. Aegis

Now THAT's a blast from the past!

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Good lord! Who on earth pulled out the stake and garlic off of this old beastie? :eek:

7. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

A little plea from from a private to the mods:If ressurecting old thread is forbidden, then delete the posts. If necromancy is bad, lock old threads. I think it's quite off topic to have plenty of replies about how stupid it is to ressurect threads. IMHO, of course, and not the third reply (my reply) is neither about the topic, but about the other two previous (IMO) off topic replies.

Besides, if you're new to a forum and are actually doing your job to read through old threads before starting to post the same questions that everybody else have been posting the last week, then getting the heat from the VIP's because they've been there, done that, etc, It's not excatcly a great welcome to a forum.

Personally, I have no problem with necromancy, and as a matter of fact, I find off-topic-replies worse and more anoying than ressurections. As my hobby HEMA is all about necromancy (re-discovering old and dead european martial systems), it would be quite ironic if I was against thread ressurection...

Further off topic; this thread is the reason why I discovered MAP :) Someone posted a link to this thread on swordforum, and it caught my attention :topic:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  8. Aegis

Personally I thought this was a fantastic revival of a nice old thread that I'd forgotten about, and to see it revived with a fun post was pretty cool.

As far as I'm concerned there's no problem with dragging up old threads if people want to actually discuss the topic. The issue is when someone revives a 3-year old thread to add something like "I agree" and nothing more. That's the irritating type of thread revival.

In any case, this thread still rocks :D

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I was completely unaware of this rather epic thread. Thank-you to the necromancer who revived it. To see such willful ignorance and recalcitrance (such as quoting Samurai movies as historical sources!) on the part of certain worthies way back when makes this truly a MAP classic. Best train wreck I ever saw! ;) I'm going to teach a class on swordsmanship tonight, and this thread will keep me giggly and happy all night, keeping me in good stead until we all hit the pub after training, at which point the alcohol can take over. :)

And my longswords are all about 3.5 lbs.

Best regards,

-Mark

10. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

To weigh in on the necromancy:
    Zanbatou is the Japanese pronunciation of 斩马刀 (Zhan ma dao), translating roughly as "Horse chopping saber." They, in fact, look nothing like the one in Rurouni Kenshin (pro-tip: Rurouni Kenshin is not a very good anime), but were rather like long sabers, akin to the nodachi you are no doubt familiar with. They were anticavarly weapons of the Song Dynasty (http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/hanson.htm), intended, as the story goes, for cutting the legs off of charging horses. It apparently didn't work well enough to stop the Jurchens, the Liao, the Mongols, or any of the other horse-riding hooligans who conquered the Song.
    [​IMG]

Furthermore, to the thread necromancer, Sephiroth does not use the Murasame. It's a sword that you can get for Cloud in Wutai.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I think Kugo and Aegis might have got a bit lost in translation here both the comments I interpreted as mild humourous.

The Bear.

12. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY

And let me edit my horribad spelling.

ALSO MWAHAHAHA I HAZ NECROMANTIC POWERZ!!!!!!

13. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

I'm surprised, that's pretty light. What are they made of?

I used to train with the specially designed katana that weighed around 2.5 kg. Single handed cuts were difficult and I couldn't train with it for more than an hour.

In response to the original post.

There is a japanese weapon called the bisento which can way in at around 7-10kg. Very difficult to use.

I used to train with a crowbar (the big ones designed to open manhole covers) which weighed around 10kg and a 15kg sledgehammer to prepare myself for wielding a kanabo/tetsubo (which can come in at around 15-20kg). Although later I found out that it isn't such a good idea trying to use a weapon that weighs almost 30% of my body weight.

I still have a fondness for battle hammers.

14. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Are you for serious?

Oh wait, you be trollin'.

15. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Bisento

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisento

[​IMG]

16. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

Necromancy is good!

I have never seen real evidence for the meijiandao/bisento used historically in Japan... always assumed its mythical like a ninjato - looks cool in computer games though.

17. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Its existence might not have been mythical (not making any claims about its use in Japan); it's possible that the practice of the weapon could have been a recent import from China on the part of Mr. Takamatsu. (Yanyuedao were real, though their associations even in extant Chinese martial arts haven't been exactly free of myths, q.v. the so-called "Guan-Dao".)

I never knew that anyone represented the weapon in video games at all, though; which games were these?

Maybe I should start a thread for people to discuss bisentojutsu on the Ninjutsu forum?

18. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

I agree with Bronze..
    The evidence of it's (Bisento) use in Japan is non-existant.. It's a Chinese weapon and was used there, but it's not mentioned in any source ouside those that come from Takamatsu (who was influenced by the Chinese arts he saw during his time there and may have added this "back history" on to what he had covered in Japan).
    It's rather likely that something like a Bisento was developed into the Japanese Naginata and Nagamaki design, but a slight influence would be all I'd be prepared to give it..And it's more than possible that the Japanese Naginata was developed from something else entirely unconnected with Bisento..
    (The Bujinkan also use a weapon called the "Nyoibo" (如意棒) which again has Chinese origins, rather than Japanese and very little evidence of it's being used in Japan outside of Hatsumi/Takamatsu's references...It's a weapon that seems so stupidly useless that I'd favour it's having not been used outside of anything other than Dragonball and the Chinese stories that inspired that series quite honestly)..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  19. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

Not so long ago - definitely not Bleach... maybe Onepiece? great big pirate.. I dont play console games myself but I often drink beer watching others do so :).

20. Wolf3001

Wolf3001 Valued Member

I would say they are based on some weapons used by both the Chinese and Japanese. There are some blades used to cut the legs off horses but I had not seen anything like it in Japan until a few years back while looking at some stuff. I love weapons and have several books containing info on arms from around the world.