Zaad's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

But There going to start Gi BJJ classes soon!
    I'll have to see how one rest day (friday) works but hopefully i can still train 4 times a week.
    If not, i'll cut out the No-gi class on wednesdays and just go for a 2 mile run and some leisurely climbing.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Play it by ear with rest and watch for signs of overtraining. We've all got different workload capacities and it could be that you can cope with 1 day a week rest. I know CosmicFish doesn't even get that when you add in heavy sessions, light sessions and MA training, yet he doesn't suffer from overtrainng.

3. Mangosteen

No-Gi class today.
    Apparently the no-gi are changing to gi, so im happy.
    gi classes 4 days a week!

I went up against one of the guys at my judo club who's training with us. 17 year old black belt who's supposed to be one of the best in the country.
    It was pretty humbling to roll with him because he caught me in the same submission he used on me in my first judo class.
    It cool to think that i've learnt so much but i really havent in the grand picture of grappling.
    It'll be good to cross train with him and pick ups some tips and exchange some. he knows so many types of armbars.

One thing that i really dont like at my current club is inexperienced strong guys just beasting it and aiming for a sub.
    i told the guy off once he subbed me and said "dont use your strength. your a strong guy and you might find it easier to win with your strength but you wont learn technique properly. then if your sparr someone stronger or more experienced you wont know what to do.
    Focus on minimum strength with maximum efficiency, you shouldnt aim to win, you should aim to learn to survive and escape."
    Too many strong guy over compensate technique for strength without even realising it, thankfully this guy understood what i meant i tried drilling things we did in class and gaining dominant positions with less strength and more technique.

I rolled with this kid today too. i know his dad (his dad fight semi pro mma) so i've been helping the kid learn to plant submissions and escapes. It's been good because i've had to learn to not rely on my strength because that would be unmatched (naturally im stronger than a 14 year old).

I cant wait to lift though! its one thing im dying to do!
    Cant wait for saturday!

4. Mangosteen

AWW MAN I KEEP DOUBLE POSTING!

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Glad I am not the only one who looks forward to lifting iron. I do wish I had 19 year-old hormones again though.

6. Mangosteen

I wish i had 19 year old hormones!
    I dont seem to have any!

Guess i just need to lift harder.

Heres my update for yesterday:

I've been trying to get a grappling coach for my uni club. So i attended a freestyle wrestling class with this american fresher i know who wrestled in high school (the one i grappled with earlier).
    I wasnt sure that wrestling would be right because of the difference in groundwork.
    But it was awesome.
    the takedowns!
    the guy had good creds (trained some british champs and people on the national team) but what impressed me was the people he had training there.
    kids who were half my age and girls (actually good looking ones) that were speedier and more technical than my american friend and could prolly kill us both.
    I actually think wrestling is better than judo for takedowns, but i prefer judo groundwork.
    Wrestling did have some interesting groundwork concepts which i understand how they could be mixed into no gi and even striking!
    i wanna train both but i might have to drop judo for a year and take up wrestling.
    But i've got the coach in for the uni club!

Today (friday) is thankfully my rest day!
    looking forward to upper body work out tomoro!

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

This stuff known as lifting weights is actually 90% diet. If you aren't fueling your body enough, you can lift hard, correctly and often enough, but if you aren't eating right you will go no where and gain nothing. If you are lifting and doing martial arts, your caloric needs are much higher than the average gym goer. Just a thought.

8. Mangosteen

hm...
    yeah true, my diet is all over the place cos i cant cook for myself yet.
    i think it might also be because im past neuro adaptation.
    so gains are slower than they once were

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Well it will take some tweaking. But you should start with a calorie calculator and figure out what your "maintenance calories" are. Eat at a 500 calorie surplus to that number for a couple of months and see what happens. You should start to pack on some muscles. If you aren't gaining weight, then you aren't eating enough. Gains in fat will also come with it, but that is what your "cut" phase is for.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

You need to be as consistent with diet as you are with training. Hope this helps.

10. Mangosteen

Aye.
    Don't worry. i know this bit already.
    I'm good at controlling diet.
    It's just a problem at the moment because i cant make food and im eating random crap thats cheap and pre made, i've been trying to control it the best i can.
    But i don't really like the calorie counting anymore.
    its kind of become ingrained that if i eat this thing then i have to eat that but avoid this.
    i'm going on to a cut in spring.

11. Mangosteen

im living in a b&b at the moment.

12. Mangosteen

Here's Twice the Post for the weekend's workout:

Saturday – Upper Body
    + OHP – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 35 Kg then deload for 1 set of 20 kg for 10 reps
    + Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 50 kg then deload for 1 set of 40 kg for 10 reps
    + Pull ups – 25 reps in 6 sets
    + Close Grip Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 40 kg
    + Barbell Row – Work up 5 rep for 3 sets of 40 kg then deload for 1 set of 20 kg for 10 reps
    + Tricep Pulldowns – Work up to 5 rep max for 1 set
    + Lateral Raise – 5 rep max for 3 set
    + Barbell Curl – Work up to 5 reps of 20 kg then deload to 5 reps with dumbbells of 9 kg each
    + Barbell Shrug - 5 reps for 3 sets of 50 kg

Sunday – Lower Body
    + Squat – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 60kg then deload for 1 set at 40 kg (10 reps)
    + Dead Lift – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 70 kg the deload to 1 plate for 10 reps
    + Calf raise – work up to 10 rep for 3 sets at 30 lg
    + Rack Lift – work up to 5 rep for 3 sets at 100 kg
    + Dumbbell Lunges – Turns ut that I have no stability in this dimension. Going to have to start doing unweighted lunges a lot. Can't do them without weight well either.
    + Core – 100 reps of whatever (machine/free)

My lifts have decreased by a lot.

My max Deadlift was 85 kg and now its only 70...
    I dont think deadlifting that much helped me either. I DIDN'T READ MY ROUTINE AND ENDED UP DOING TOO MANY SETS!

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have the same issue with lunges! :D

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I used to have really bad stability issues. I started to do bodyweight squats on a bosu ball AFTER I did some heavy squatting and dead-lifting. Yes, many people make fun of the bosu ball, as it is much over-used in the fru-fru side of personal training. However, it is one of the best tools in a gym to use for stability.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbNIkPuaCM"]Bosu Ball Squat - YouTube[/ame]

You have fibers in your legs that stabilize them. You need to train them and this is a great tool to do that with.

15. Frodocious

I have a balance board I already use for that sort of training, probably not frequently enough though!

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I found it most helpful after my legs were already spent from squats, etc. I haven't trained with it in a few months though.

17. Mangosteen

I've unfortunately not been able to train for the past week.
    I've moved into my new flat but the previous owners had a cat, and im allergic, so it sparked up my asthma.

Sunday – Upper Body
    + OHP – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 35 Kg then deload for 1 set of 20 kg for 10 reps
    + Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 50 kg then deload for 1 set of 40 kg for 10 reps
    + Pull ups – 25 reps in 6 sets
    + Close Grip Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 40 kg
    + Barbell Row – Work up 5 rep for 3 sets of 40 kg then deload for 1 set of 20 kg for 10 reps
    + Tricep Pulldowns – Work up to 5 rep max for 1 set
    + Lateral Raise – 5 reps of 9kg dumbbells for 3 set
    + Barbell Curl – Work up to 5 reps of 20 kg then deload to 5 reps with dumbbells of 9 kg each
    + Barbell Shrug - 5 reps for 3 sets of 60 kg

Monday – Lower Body
    + Squat – Work up to 5 rep for 3 sets of 60kg then deload for 1 set at 40 kg (10 reps)
    + Dead Lift – Work up to 5 reps for 1 sets of 80 kg the deload to 1 plate for 5 reps
    + Calf raise – work up to 10 rep for 3 sets at 40 kg
    + Rack Lift – work up to 5 rep for 3 sets at 100 kg
    + Unweighted lunges, 10 reps 2 sets
    + Core – 100 reps of whatever (machine/free)

Tuesday - Grip and Flexibility
    Superset {Forearm curls with barbell - work up to 8 reps with 60 kg for 1 set
    {Reverse Forearm curls with barbell - work up to 8 reps with 60 kg for 1 set
    Work on Overhead press form and variation forms with barbell
    Work on Squat form with barbell
    Calf Raie - 8 reps of 60 kg for 1 set
    Farmer Walk - 10 meters for 2 sets
    Kill The Puta - 10 reps with 6 kilos for 1 set with partner
    Dynamic Kick Stretch
    Hamstring Stretch
    Dead Stretch
    Roll back to Shoot
    3 x Shoot each leg

I currently weigh 78 kg.
    I gained quite a bit of fat over summer (8 kg of weight).
    But right now my aim is to gain strength. Keeping fat to a minimum would be nice too, but it'll be hard to gain independently.
    I'm gonna gain about 10 kg more by new years and then cut weight.
    I'll stop just short of the 200 lb mark, thats my limit.
    I'll do this by controlling diet, lifting (2 x week) and training in jiu jitsu, wrestling and (going to start) aikido 6-8 training sessions a week.
    I'm not going to do the intense cardio stuff this period. Currently my cardio is from training and the 7 mile walk i make everyday (distance to and back uni = 7 miles).

Also my dead lift has increased... from no lifting...

Any suggestions would be great guys.
    :Bigmikey:
    :Frodocious:
    :nekoashi:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  18. Mangosteen

Today i did crap all today.
    I HATE REST DAYS THEY'RE SO BORING.

I think i'll start logging daily rather than just lifting days.
    It'd be good for future reference if i label what i need to improve grappling wise too.

I'm concerned my squat is almost level with my bench... thats unbalanced.
    I probably need to strength my hamstrings before the squat will go up because they always feel tight after squats.
    Just keep on routine and hopefully everything will level out.

I'm wondering if i should put in a sprint day (5x400m) on a weekday or just climb on these days...
    i do have training also well so the sprint might be over stress be keeping fat down would be nice.

19. It is bloody long distance running!
    Start with 8x60m or better yet: 10x40m

But really SPRINT, like a pack of wolves is right behind you!

Osu!

PS: if you can smoke a pursuer in 40 m, he'll never try to follow you for 400!!!

20. Frodocious

If you want to increase you're core strength, you should train it the same way you do for other strength exercises. That is heavy weights with low reps. 100 reps of a core exercise won't help your maximal strength only your strength endurance.

If you want to do something on your rest day, work on active recovery. Go for a walk, do stretching or mobility work, have a sports massage or use a foam roller.

Like Old kyokushin says, 400m is not a sprint. It is a good distance to train at, but should not be treated as a sprint workout. Sprints should be very short, intense bursts of exercise, usually under 100m distance. They should be all out efforts, you can't do that over 400m.