Your WC Lineage

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

I was just reading about a new Wing Chun school opening up in my area. I've come to realize that Wing Chun is a very popular Kung Fu style. It might even be the most popular; I can't remember having walked past a Choy Li Fut or Hung Gar school lately.

While I'm not terribly interested in the ratio of WC to non-WC Kung Fu people what I am interested in is the distribution of lineages. Originally I wanted to post a poll to get an idea of what flavors of WC everyone was learning but didn't really have an idea as to the major branches I would use for the poll options were.

So to all MAP WCers,

What lineage or organization of Wing Chun are you training under?

As a side question, what do you think are the largest branches of Wing Chun? My guess would be Leung Ting Wing Tsun and Traditional Wing Chun would be the largest two.

2. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

My instructor recently joined with the Wing Tsun system. He has been party to the WT system and I think the "normal" WC system for around 20 years. Nothing's changed much but the gradings are a bit more formal and structured (according to other people in the club, i missed my first and only grading because i had to drive to Manchester)

Edit: Just read my instructors old blog with some references to his lineage i guess "Have done wing chun since 1988, first with a couple of James Sinclair instructors who then joined up with samuel Kwok, then as an instructor with the NWCA (Andrew Cameron) which became the UK branch of the EWTO"

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  3. watts

watts Valued Member

Ip Chun.

4. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

In the genealogy book I'm under Sui Luk Men from Yip Man. Many years ago I did study with other instructors.

Largest "branches"??? I guess it depends on how you define "branch" but Yip Man clan has spread very far in many different nations.

Hung Gar is extremely popular in southeast Asia, including Southern China and is spread across the world.

5. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

6. abclaret

abclaret Valued Member

Im training in the Samuel Kwok>Ip Chun/Ip Ching lineage, Samuel is based over in Blackpool which is an adjacent town his site http://www.kwokwingchun.com/

Cant say Im interested in lineage wars (which is where I expect this is going) but if I come across other schools in my area Im happy to visit.

7. Gong_Sau_Rick

Bah, don't be so pessimistic.

8. ambiance

ambiance Valued Member

Yip Man

Ip Chun - Ip Ching

9. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Lineage wars are for Ninja :p. Good to see a lot of people have pretty solid teachers.

10. Gong_Sau_Rick

How rude of me I should have mentioned my lineage. However if any of you have ever read any of my posts or checked my public profile you would already know I train in the Wong Shun-leung method. I'm learning Wing Chun the 'Wong' way.

11. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

my Sifu teaches Yip Man and JunFan. one of my most enjoyed classes.

12. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Can People Post Links ?? I Like To Read Websites Of Diff Clubs...

Please :)

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Do you ever train at Lancaster at all?

14. winchunguy

winchunguy Valued Member

lineage

Ho Kam Ming

15. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

You dont train in Tucson by any chance do yah?

16. abclaret

abclaret Valued Member

I know your hoping Im someone else but Im going to have to disapoint, but I do know who your referring to.

Anyway Ive never trained in Lancaster....

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I don't know who you think I'm referring to, as least I don't think I do! :confused:

18. forever young

forever young Valued Member

wong shun leung method as taught by Nino Bernardo for 7 years now :D

19. winchunguy

winchunguy Valued Member

Nope, Toronto Canada.

20. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Thanks " forever young"

Come on everyone else i want links to your Schools websites i like to be nosey!