your view of this school

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Sgt_Major, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

http://www.kalis-ilustrisimo.org/

My work colleagues are trying to set up a school of this in Northern Ireland, just wondering if anyone knows of them, or has heard of them....

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

I've met Shamim a few times over the years, my instructor knows him well, he's a very good stick man, and an easy bloke to talk to, I'd suggest just getting in touch directly, Peter Lewis on the forums is also a Kali Illustrisimo (Romo Clan) man, see what he has to say

Neil

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

he's in a picture with tony diego.

must be the real deal.

4. BobM

BobM New Member

I can't recommend Pete lewis and Romo-Ilustrisimo enough, excellent style very dynamic plus Pete is the contact for Bakbakan in the UK and as such as access to Master Rey Galang as well as Master Yuli Romo, try

http://www.romo-ilustrisimo.co.uk

Cheers

Bob :)

5. Sgt_Major

cheers guys. I was just checking out what our work was reccomending as a Martial Art, I dont think I'd be going along, but last time they did WC, it was terrible.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I Know Shamin very well, he was my first student many years ago when he was but a young tearaway, He is a very good FMA practitioner and has trained with Tony Diego many times, he has visited the PI many times too, Former WEKAF World Champ to boot.

When he first started having an interest in the Ilustrsimo style he asked my permission to go train with them, which 1. was very nice of him and 2. Not required.

If you get the chance check him out, he knows Rapid Arnis, Lapunti, and Doce Pares too, but he as they say an Ilustrisimo man.

Best regards

Pat

7. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Silatpupil

Good to see your interest in KI.

Drop me an email or PM if you have any questions concerning the KI of Master Yuli Romo or of Bakbakan KI.

Best regards

Peter

www.yuli-romo.com

www.bakbakan.com

8. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Kali Ilustrisimo? Good Style. Well-respected in the Philippines. You can't go wrong with this one.

9. Aiodan7

Aiodan7 Valued Member

With regard to www.kalis-ilustrisimo.org

Last year I happen to have the opportunity to visit Manila to train with Master Tony Diego along with Shamim and few others. Master Tony promoted Shamim to Chief Instructor of Kalis Ilustrisimo Repeticion Orhinal to represent him in the UK and Ireland. Shamim, in my opinion is extremely talented and a true natural with a vast amount of experience.

Illustrisimo in N, Ireland

I have been training in Ilustrisimo for 4 years and previous to that had the opportunity to train with some top guys. I hold no title of Guro or teacher as I believe that has to be earned, but I have enjoyed many years of learning, competing and participation both here and overseas. Now that the hair is receding quicker than the leaves of an autumn tree, its maybe time for me to share my knowledge and experience with others. In time, I hope to share this experience in my native town in Belfast. So there is a strong possiblity SilatPupil that your colleagues where referring to me.
    Its unfortunate that you felt the need to go into a public forum to seek the opinions of others while I am sure Shamim would have have gladly provided you with the information you needed.
    As mentioned above there are choices of whatever rocks yer boat such as Intergrated Escrima and Yuli-Romo Clan Ilustrisimo and I hope some day something can be done together out of respect to Tatang. But everyone to their own.

I can rant on about experiencesof learning from whoever, but havin yer picture taken with a race horse does not necessary make you a jockey. It's about what I personally put in to my own training that counts.

Since we are talking combative arts here, the best impartial opinion is to see the thing yourself in which I am happy to oblige. I know you have stated you have no interest in participation which is fair enough but I would be more than willing to demonstrate on one of my visits home. I hope this will clear things up about opinions and if you want to clarify any issues or share experiences you can contact me personally on aideva2@yahoo.co.uk. If not, I wish you all the best with your development.

PS: Well hello Pat glad to see you have weathered the storm and are still up there with the elders. By the way you owe me a beer for talkin me into wearin that stupid mask when we did that video. Say hello to Lucy and congratulations on the new edition.

All the best for now

Aidan Cochrane

10. Sgt_Major

hi, the only reason I asked here is because I know these guys, and I know they are objective. Had I went to the person who was organising the classes, I would have got a one sided perspective....

this way I can make up my own mind as to whether I would go along to see/participate in the classes, but I would be going with a little information about the class/people involved. In this instance you have had very positive feedback, and as such I'm almost done you a favour ;)

As I said, at present Im happy with my Silat, and am not looking for a Martial Arts class, but I may pop along to watch a class or 2 out of curiousity, and the deisre to share/learn experiences.

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Well big hello to the big fella, Hey I will satnd you that beer if we ever get to link up at any time in the Future.
    That was a funny day, still makes me chuckle now.
    Anyway Aidan you know me always bounce back with a vengance and the likes of that man does not have me even breaking in to a sweat, bigger men have tried similar and low and behold I am still here, like I always say. Let you stick do the talking.

With regards to this link, as I have said before I have a lot of praise for Shamin and his crew, all good stick men, I can also highley recommend Peter Lewis too, met the guy recently and I have nothing but good things to say about him. I know there is a lot of bickering amoungst FMAers at the best of times but I truely feel that the Ilustrisimo groups in the UK and Ireland should join forces to let the public know just how good Tatang really was. This in it's self would not only be a great way to remember the Late Tatang but would benefit both groups immensely. Especially when 2 groups are good and actually promoting basically the same style, makes sence to me anyway.

Just my observation on the whole thing.

Best regards and I will give you that beer one day, or maybe we would have to have more than just one eh! I'm in Dartford teaching with Danny Guba this weekend, will be there Friday and Saturday so who knows, maybe you can pop along for a beer or 2, 3, 10, 20.

Pat

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  12. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Peter

Hello Peter,
    I got your PM. Best regards to ALL Ilustrisimo groups in UK. I still stay in touch with the group here. It is nice to have friends everywhere! :D

13. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Red :D

Great to know you are still alive and kicking. Thought you may have been getting forum overload lately! :D :D :D

Warm regards to the guys back home. Let me know if your research brings about any new information that may be of interest to be.

Ingat ka palagi

Peter

14. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Pat

Many thanks for your positive input and support. With your extensive background and respected position concerning FMA in the UK, your views are valued and appreciated.

Best regards

Peter

15. Sgt_Major

One of my main reasons for asking. I respect Pat's opinion on anything FMA related. Especially since I know very very little about it in the first place :D

16. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Peter :D
    Yeah, you're right. I am probably getting an overload of MAP already. The funny thing was I first joined to forum to get some answers. I wanted to maintain a very low profile. You know, just lurking around. I didn't know I'd end up a MAP addict, hahaha.
    Just check my posts for general info. As for info specific to the Romo Clan Kali Ilustrisimo, I'm still working on it. Maestro Yuli has given his club a new name, Bahad Zubu. You must have heard about that. I prefer the old name though. But then, it is Maestro's choice.

17. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Red

Yeah you are addicted to MAP. What low profile? You're getting more postings than Pat. :D

Thanks for the update. Yes, I am aware of the name change of Master Yuli's group to Bahad ZU'BU and have the shirt to prove it. I understand that Master Yuli is planning the release of a new DVD very soon. Can't wait to see that.

Please extend my warm regards to Maestro and the group when you next see them.

Best regards

Peter

18. Aiodan7

Aiodan7 Valued Member

Hello there Pat,

I may have already missed you as I am teaching these Door Supervision courses at Westminster College over the weekend, if you catch this message and you are near Central London I would definitely meet up with you. If not let me know when you are next down in London and a session we will have and share tales of woe.
    I totally agree with your comments around the political bickering. I have learned that it serves no real purpose, seeing that it is usually about what people do rather than who they are. I for one could not give a fiddlers what art people do, no interest what so ever with regard to judgement, if they enjoy it thats good enough for me. But sometimes it takes more courage to put the hand out. Again I hope some day people can put their differences behind them and respect one another's position with a unified approach to the memory of Tatang.

Compliments to the forum as there is some excellent contributions and posts

I hope the weekend is a great success and may your problems be as far apart as my grannies teeth.

Aidan