Your thoughts on this class?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by EmptyHandGuy, Jun 28, 2013.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Was looking for a local tai chi class and came across this one which has a youtube channel. Was wondering what you more experienced taichiers thought of his class etc?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaJyW0oWRg"]Yang Cheng Fu form excerpts - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlisEipVTg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDzfp29rvpA7xyM956G2zww"]Self defence - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=gychSPlfqwo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDzfp29rvpA7xyM956G2zww"]Countering a knife - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWZJNV5fV_4&list=UUDzfp29rvpA7xyM956G2zww"]Countering a knife (with a newspaper) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6_oQaWGG8&list=UUDzfp29rvpA7xyM956G2zww"]Weapons forms (excerpts) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

First off, the guy calls himself 'Master' and I don't see anything in his clips that may lend credence to that title claim.

Video #1
    A pretty standard presentation of YCF long form. Seemed to be a bit empty to me.

Video #2, #3 & #4
    I wish attackers really did charge towards you in such a telegraphic and cooperative way. I understand this is obviously a show reel for his school - but really?

Video #5
    More forms.

I don't think it would be my cuppa, but you might as well give it a try.

3. thauma

thauma Valued Member

I don't know how this qualifies compared to other tai chi schools, and I appreciate that this is a demo for the camera, but once things are released into the world of the web, then they have a life of their own, and can be taken out of context. That said……..

….. on the face of it and in terms of specific self defence and knife defences - he's dead meat.

There is no control of the weapon during the demonstration, and leaving the attacker with the weapon at the end is just inviting another (more forceful and considered / cautious) attack.

It may be a good school with an excellent master (I have no comment), but don't expect that to work in a practical scenario.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't like knocking other MAists, but I would definitely look elsewhere.

I am going to comment via PM. My school teaches us to not be disrespectful of other schools or MAists. I like to follow that. But I want to give you an honest answer to your question in more detail.

Sorry it isn't contributing to the forum talk.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

thought as much, thanks guys!!

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I didn't look at the tai chi itself but from the awl dwfmese portions alone I would avoid this place like the bubonic plague

Poorly executed technique, compliant and floppy use, no sense of distance or timing, clearly no experience in actual combat. Exceptionally poor which leads me to believe the chances of his other stuff being good are slim

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

This.

If you're looking for practical arts that are well taught and are located in Newcastle (as the originator of the videos you posted is), then you can't go far wrong with Matt Teasdale at Team Phoenix, he doesn't do tai chi (and I realise you posted this on the tai chi forum) but he can teach you how to defend yourself against a (or multiple) motivated opponent(s) if that's what you want...

8. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

If this not your cup of chi I can suggest other tai chi instructors in the north east who I rate very highly.

Also I teach a couple of classes on yang style & qigong.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If I were in your neck of the woods, I'd be checking these guys out for Tai Chi:

http://www.hunyuantaiji.co.uk/

I've met one of their Newcastle guys before (Ferris Jerjis - http://www.hunyuantaiji.co.uk/pages/contacts.php) and I think some other members here who frequent the Tai Chi section have too. Ferris is a cool dude and has good, real skills.

I've done about a year of this style before from the same lineage in London, it’s got a very complete syllabus with a lot of detail, martial emphasis and nei gong you don’t normally get in your everyday Tai Chi class. Definitely worth a shot.

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi GB-UK (and All),

I wasn't that impressed by the SD videos but then I know there are videos of me in existence which show me in a less than perfect light :) :) :)

I am a great believer in going along and trying stuff - just don't get involved in any long-term contracts - I'm VERY biased as all my students pay session by session unless THEY want to do otherwise...

Anyway - go and see and enjoy...