Your thoughts on Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Lance Uppercut, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut New Member

I want to take Kung fu so i wanted to hear some thoughts on it. Whats kung fu all about how did it start, whats the rank system like aren't there many forms of kung fu?

2. HammerFist

HammerFist New Member

Kung Fu means a lot of different things to different people. I'll give you my take on it and why I practice it.

1. Whats kung fu all about?
    For me it's all about health, learning an acient martial art and fighting. In that order.

2. How did it start?
    The story goes that it started at the shaolin temple or something like that. I wasn't there and most of the stories have been passed on verbally so who knows how accurate they are. If you really want to know where it came from, buy a book.

3. whats the rank system like?
    Technically, there isn't a rank system. There is only teacher and student. But many schools have adopted a belt rank system so all of them are different.

4. aren't there many forms of kung fu?
    Yes. I study Praying mantis, long fist, hung gar and tai chi.

What do you expect to get out of kung fu training? If you know nothing about kung fu then why have you decided to study it?

3. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Its a good style, but it can get very fancy so i modify it to make it more effective. Depending on why you take it then really depends on what you want to do with it, there are hundreds of styles for kung fu.

4. Lafhastum

Lafhastum New Member

Pretty much Kung Fu started in Shaolin temples. Southern Shaolin monks created Southern Fist to fend off pirates that kept attack them and Northen Shaolin made Long Fist to relax themselves (though later some northern shaolin used their skills to become assasins, casuing the demolition of many shaolin temples in the 1400's but also giving source materail for kick ass kung fu movies). While these two styles were the source of many other kung fu styles they do differ greatly. I am guessing that there are over 30 styles of kung fu ( I can name 20 off the top of my head). YOu could look at a Hung Gar, Mantis, Eagle Boxing, Phoenix Eye, or tai chi and never guess they can from the smae styles. Also kung fu includes alot of different weapons (Three parted staff is my favorite, though I practice staff and saber). There is traditionly no belt or rank system however some schools have it. Modern styles of Kung Fu (Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar and Wushu) include belts and I would think many schools that teach older styles of kung fu have incorperated belts nowadays.

5. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

Gung Fu

The term Gung fu is really a generic chinese term that roughly translated means acquired skill. It is that thought that gave birth to the aquired fighting skill that was nescessary for the unarmed peasants of the day to fight against the war lords of ancient times. The shaolin took there various excercises used for relaxation, meditation and focus, and formed them into complex and at the time effective fighting systems that where further developed and are still being developed today. For the shaolin the "Aqcuired skill" term was attached to there systems because of the tremendous amount of training and dedication of the Shaolin to there fighting ways. There are many varied forms of Gung Fu, and within each variation there are variation, this is mainly because Gung Fu is a human experiance, we learn change and develop, so does our fighting way. If you are looking to get into Kung Fu, try out some styles, see wich one is more yours and learn it, and own it, then when you have mastered it, forget it.

6. OBCT

OBCT New Member

http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/
    This should help if you're UK.

kung fu is way older than shaolin, however the temple at shaolin was a centre for CMA development from Han dynasty up to Manchu occupation.
    http://www.shaolin-society.co.uk/History_of_Gung-Fu/history_of_gung-fu.php

Different places rank differently, usually you do forms and spar, the sifu can then assess if you're ready. When you are you are tested, if you pass you get a nice new sash, some don't have sash's. Some don't spar, some do less forms. Some, like wing chun have a lot of theory, some don't. Even then, no 2 schools of the same style will teach the same. You really are better just trying some out, to see what suits you.

What do you want your kung fu to do for you ?

fitness ?
    confidence ?
    a hobby ?
    look cool so you can show off flashy gymnastic type stuff ?
    teach you a new culture ?
    effective self defence ?

7. Lafhastum

Lafhastum New Member

Bernam, Gung Fu means fightingn skill , kung Fu means acquired skill.

8. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

9. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I did a relatively short stint at Lau Gar (far less then a teacher as yourself), tried out WC under CRCA, then discovered Aikido. I do personally prefer CMA to JMA, but work commitments get in the way and its a lot better than nothing, i really enjoy it tbh.
    I used the lau gar website because i think lau gar is great as a starter, helping you find out exactly what you like, or don't (myself, i love locks, if i had a local chin na school i'd be very very happy). It's also probably the most widespread KF in UK.

What makes you ask anyway ?

*sorry all, forum unhijacked now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  10. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

i checked the lau gar website and it seems like they have a really well-rounded syllabus...good stuff! :)

11. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut New Member

Ok so the history of kung fu is unkowen and there are many different forms. So what form is good for pratical self defense and not to hard to learn. o and whats cma and jma

12. siulimtao2004

siulimtao2004 New Member

Hmm....I'd disagree actually.

Gung Fu = Kung Fu = Acquired skills. It's the same 2 characters in Chinese. I can read and write chinese so hopefully i can provide you with a different perspective.

13. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

then my chinese sifu must be wrong

14. OBCT

OBCT New Member

All are good for SD (Self Defence) Wing Chun/Tsun (WT/WT) is relatively easy to start with, quite popular - so chances are they'll be a class near you and quickly applicable, Lau Gar is also popular and lots of places do IAKSA (the organisation) Kickboxing there aswell, but really any style will do.

If it's purely for SD you might be better off with MT (Muay Thai) or a specific SD class, I hear a lot of good praise of Krav Magi for it's quickly applicable SD, just don't expect to much cultural learning in it.

JMA are Japanese Martial Arts : Aiado, Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Ninjitsu/Ninpo, Taijutso, Kenjutso, Kendo and later forms of Karate (Karate was Okinowan to start with)

CMA are Chinese Martial Arts : Styles of Kung Fu, Chuan Fa, Tai Chi, Wu Shu amongst others.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Gung-fu is the pronounciation in cantonese of Kung-fu, which means 'work'.
    Sifu means a person of aquired skill.
    'gung/kung' also can mean work by itself but there are variations.
    'fu' gnerally speaking means 'burden'.

We been over this quite a few times on MAP surpisingly enough...dunno why though. :bang:

AAAAAAAAAAAAnnnny-way. All this talk of various Kung-fu is not really useful till you (Lance Uppercut) find whats available around you, then call us back :D
    Though you will find a lot of Tai-Chi, Wing-Chun, Wushu (Mo-sut in cantonese), San-Shou classes around and some animal styles.
    Then you go to those classes and see if you like it.

I study Pak-Mei Kuan/Baimeiquin White Eyebrow fist. I only know that there is a school in London and Southhampton. There are others but its not openly advertised much.

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Hey Mushroom,

how is the pak mei class you go to? Is there a website for your club?

17. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

I wouldn't call wing chun, or pak mei fancy looking at all. what styles have you seen?

18. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

you need to decide what you want out of ma 1st then look for schools in your area,come back with styles/schools & we can try to give you info on them.
    every1 thinks that the style they do is fab but it is not for everyone.
    i love having master yau come do classes or going to birmingham for courses,getting 1st hand info from him is great,i love the fact that it is a tma,i also love the fact that i can do kb & that the kf & kb go so well together.

19. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

most gung fu styles bring something to the table,best thing to do and and give them ago and find out wot u like more