your style/system

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by sho'nuff, Oct 11, 2008.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

ok so there has been some talk about kung fu and its different systems/styles of combat. i know there are similar threads already started but i wanted to give the new comers a little more depth because i dont think the resource thread gives them enough. so lets do it like this

1. your style(s) name, founder(s) and a brief history(it does not have to be in your own words it can be taken from your school site or other sources)

2. characteristics of your system. like high jumping, low kicks so on and so on.

3.jing cultivation/usage

i will start first.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Name: Shaolin Chuan Fa Kung Fu
    Founder: Grandmaster John Chi Yuan Tsai
    Brief History:

Grandmaster John Chi Yuan Tsai began his training under Great Grandmaster Su Cheun Sun of Taipei, Taiwan at the age of 7 studying 5 animal Shaolin, 5 Family, Northern Shaolin Longfist.

Great Grandmasters school was very heavy on combat, Iron palm and Nei Chi.

When Great grandmaster passsed away , mid 80's I think, GM Tsai began training with Plum Flower boxing Great Grandmaster Zhang of Taipei and has been under him representing Mei Hua ever since.

GM Tsai now operates a very large combat school in Mainland China.

Characteristics: It's a very nice mix so you'll see a lot of different elements. Stances, forms, punches, open hand strikes, kicks, Chin Na, takedowns, ground grappling, and weapons.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

ok i have a bit of a history in martial arts being so young so i will only give info on the current styles i am learning and i hope to teach these one day because i freakin love them lol! also my homie jmd asked what styles i was studying. i just looked back at the post and i made a mistake. i am not learning wudang i am learning wu-tan(g) there is a difference which i will explain my system. im also studying yin fu or yin style baguazhang and the jian right now. im liking baqua so much that im thinking of just studying that by it self for right now.

the wu tang chinese martial arts center was founded in 1971 by Grandmaster Yuen- Chiao Liu in Taiwan. His purpose was to organize, research and exalt authentic Chinese. he learned many martial arts styles from different teachers. the system takes forms and its fight application from different styles of long fist, systems of northern mantis, mizongyi, xing i, baqua, baji, tai chi, pigua. very similar to chin wu to me. please check www.wutanusa.com for the whole break down of the center. my school is an independant and is not apart of the wutang.

the other style i study is baquazhang from the yin fu lineage. The creation of baguazhang, as a formalised martial art, is attributed to dong haichuan in the early 19th century, who apparently learned from taoist, and possibly buddhist, masters in the mountains of rural china. there is evidence to suggest a synthesis of several pre-existing martial arts taught and practised in the region in which he lived, combined with taoist circle walking. dong haichuan taught for many years in beijing, eventually earning patronage by the Imperial court.

my first system teaches a little of everything due to it being different systems. we do not mix systems and make it ''a new style'' in are school if you are working on seven star praying mantis then thats what you do, taizu long fist then only that so on. of course for street combat you would use everything you learned but we do not mix the systems.

Yin baquazhang Style as passed down by Xie Peiqi is notable for having eight distinct animal styles within the body of the art. In other words, Xie's Yin Style is a complete system, which is made up of other complete systems. These include the eight animal systems as well as several 'unorthodox' systems, such as the Penetrating Palm and Backhand systems. Each of the eight animal styles is related to one of the eight trigrams of the I Ching. The following table describes this relationship Yin style Bagua Zhang includes eight sections, each with eight postures. The sixty-four posture palm change is practiced in circle walking. This style allows a combatant to throw an opponent 5 meters away with a 2 inch palm strike to the chest.

Trigram Animal Chinese Title
    Chinese Pinyin
    ☰ 乾 Qián Lion 獅 Interlocking
    ☱ 兌 Dui Monkey 猴 Enfolding
    ☲ 離 Lí Rooster 鷂 Lying step
    ☳ 震 Zhèn Dragon 龍 Lifting and holding
    ☴ 巽 Xùn Phoenix 鳳 Windmill
    ☵ 坎 Kǎn Snake 蛇 Moving with the force
    ☶ 艮 Gèn Bear 熊 Turning the back
    ☷ 坤 Kūn Qilin/Unicorn 麟 Reversing the body

the internal aspects of baguazhang are very similar to those of xingyi and tai chi. as of now i know that circle walking cultivates jing but since im brand new to the art i really dont know as of yet.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

1. Tiger/Crane Combination. I could list stuff but its all on here, worth a read if you're interested in CMA I think http://www.namyang.co.uk/ .

2. Sensitivity training, strong stances, relaxed power, empasis on striking with power, overwhelming an aggressor as quickly as possible. If at all possible sucker punch a potential threat. Maintain safe distance and have a good idea where you're range is. Forms, drills, sparring, conditioning.

3. Increased by forms practice (especially our version of sanchin, the Sum Chen), used to hurt people!

5. clfsean

clfsean Mo Lum Yat Ga

Choy Li Fut...

Word...

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

lol! come on bro its for the new comers. i know i know, its clf and we all know about it. its actually one of my fav styles, best of both worlds if you ask me. so break it down for them. hung sing, buck sing, drunken forms and all that brotha.

7. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

Name: tantui mantis and taji mantis
    founder: master Wang Lam( mantis ) (tan tui founder is uknown)
    History: in short wang Lam was a kungfu abbot at a shaolin monestary, one day after witness a mantis fight and how it easily destroyed its opponent he decided to make a style after. he traveled all around China learning many different techniques from many different styles of Kung-fu I.E. monkey stepping techniques, shua jiao grappling techniques. kicking techniuques of the southern styles etc. win he came back from his journey he formed all the techniques into one style as well as adding many techniques that mimiced the mantis. He demonstrated his techniuques to the head abot; the guy liked what he saw, and mantis kungfu was born.
    my system incorporates the tantui system as basic training along with mantis techniqiues combined. then after u have gained black sash, you can pick another mantis style ( i picked taji but theres more) taji mantis combines techniuqes from the mantis system in combination with techniuques of tai-chi.

8. roninmaster

So mantis was kinda one of the first conglomerate sytems (MMA)

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

cool. i heard a different story and a different name for the creator(wang lang) but thats cool. chinese martial arts history has many stories for the styles due to oral translations and not alot written.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

and tan tui(springing legs) is from the islamic long fist of northern china. some have 10 roads(i know 8 step and i think seven star but not sure) and others have 12 roads. but there has been claims of shaolin temple styles having somewhere in the 20's

11. roninmaster

yea my systems uses the twelve roads.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Zhashangmir is usually attributed as the founder of Tan Tui. Indeed, there is a line of thought that Tan Tui is what he actually created, and zhaquan is derived from it. Apparently his Tan Tui form was 28 lines! :confused: Must have had some mad combos :hat:

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Anyway, me.
    Choy Li Fut
    Founded in 1836 by Chan Heung in King Mui village, Guandong. Chan drew together his studies in Hung/Sil Lum, Li Gar and northern Shaolin to forge a new system.
    The big emphasis is waist movements, which is used to power circular and linear techniques. As you would expect from it's origins, it's technique is diverse, with strong AND mobile stances, long and short range hand techniques, subtle stamps and flambouyant jumping kicks. There is also a lot of Chin Na and Shuai Jiao.
    Choy Li Fut emphasises 4 Gings
    Listenning Ging
    Sticking Ging
    Circling and returning Ging
    Gold and Steel Ging

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

lol! my teachers also say tan tui is a system in it self but now really use to introduce people to the northern understandings and basics of kung fu. but i love clf. its one of thoes systems you could learn forever. depending on what branch you come from you can learn flute fighting, drunking forms and the jian/gim forms are some of the best. i learned a little. i would love to learn more with my baqua

15. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

Has anyone ever herd of the saying jack of all trades master of nothing.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

yea

17. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Valued Member

Unless of course, you are the legendary Jack-of-all-trades known as the celtic god Lugh! He, sir, was the man!

In all seriousness:

I study my teacher's family style: Ling Gar (Tzai Kune Do).

"While Ling Gar is most definitely a southern style its origins are in the north. The family records begin with General Ling Fahong (a direct descendent of Sifu Lyn), a renowned fighter and physician who journeyed from the north and established the family in southern China around 1368 AD."

Characteristics; Typical southern Kung FU in some ways; very few kicks, if we do, we use side kick to floating rib (at HIGHEST), mostly knee kicks, or stop kicks. Sun punches, wu sau, tan sau, poc sau, jut sau, etc. We also use spearhands and Biu jee (thrusting fingers) very very commonly as an initial strike. Plenty of Chin Na, we have a 5 animals form (as well as his family form), and weapons we learn are mainly: Kali sticks, butterfly swords, staff, sword.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  18. roninmaster

So basically there is no such thing as a master MMA fighter
    (take that royce HA lol.)

19. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

Yes you are exactly right you stop learning when you die so you can never realy master anything.

20. S.P.

S.P. Valued Member

My exposure to CLF was rather brief, SifuBen.
    Could you enlarge as to the use of Ging in techniques.