Your Martial Art Ever not worked?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by BloodSugar, Mar 25, 2007.

1. BloodSugar

BloodSugar New Member

Ever had a situation, where youve been studying Martial Arts? Youre pretty confident with it. Then someone tries it with you, you think you can take the,m and you end up getting the s$%^ kicked outa you? Or just got a bit owned?

Just wondering.

_BSS

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's not you M/A not working, it's you not being proficiant in your martial art. ;)

3. BloodSugar

BloodSugar New Member

ahh nicely said, my bad :p

Well ever had a bad situation then??

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

oh..yes

When i had my first MA lesson, 6 or 7 to be precise.

Got into a fight, threw a punch, missed the guy completely and thought oh crap i'm in for a kicking.

As luck would have it he caught me a glancing blow across my ear which caused pain, i was a quiet child never say boo to a goose but could talk the legs off a donkey.

But i lost it, found i had a temper and the guy got all of it in a kick as luck would have it in the chest and floored him.

But i agree with Martial Dad, MA provides tools and how YOU use the tools is another matter.

5. McJizzle

McJizzle Banned Banned

Some kid came up and assaulted me when I wasn't looking one day. He got a nice first punch, but I broke both his legs among many other bones. Made my day...
    The kid was a *****.

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

McJizzle - where's the rest of that fairytale? :rolleyes:

7. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Probably got caught halfway out his ****. :rolleyes:

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol
    We've not had an MA desperado here at MAP in some time.
    Welcome. :D

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i once pulled a guys heart out through his mouth

10. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

Once a big guy threatned me from across the room and insted of getting physical a did a no touch knockout.

11. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Ha! I can just see the kid with the black eyes going up to his instructor... "Master, he moved into my kick, grabbed me, then I was on the ground... we cover a little ground work, but he dominated me."

Master: "You suck! Our art is pefect. PERFECT I TELL YOU! Now give me $45."

:)

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Once a big skinhead asked me for a fight and I just laughed so much he walked away in disgust.

I never took 'shrooms again after that.

13. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

[/open can of worms]

I don't know, I think you can watch the early UFC's and see lots of examples of people's martial arts just plain not working. They found themselves in situations they never were trained for.

[can of worms/]

:D

14. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Heh, I've got plenty of these stories.

During my first five years of Karate, I lost a LOT of confrontations. My 6th year, I just started winning a lot, something just clicked inside. Until I went up against this guy.

Circular strikes, lots of wheel fists and circular footwork. I think he may have been some kind of southern CMA guy, not sure which. Anyway, my style of Karate is a very straight line system, so I went at it the same way I went at it with other guys. Only problem: he wasn't there when I went for a kick. Instead, he had angled in and hit me with a wheel fist. No WAY I was giving up, so I backed up with a round house and he was suddenly in my face and punching.

I dropped to the ground. He waits for me to get up, so I throw sand in his face and charge in, angry like a bull. For my efforts, I receive a kick in the stomach. I drop to the ground again. By this time, my friends have arrived and broke up the fight.

Humiliating. I'd never been up against a skilled practitioner before in a real fight. Most of the time, it's windmilling punches, wide open haymakers, uninspired kicks and bullrushing leading to a ground and pound and after 6 years of being forced to eat dirt by guys who did this, even a slow bumbling practitioner like me eventually learned.

During my second year of Karate, I made the mistake of insulting a guy who was both older, bigger and stronger than me for no other reason than the fact that I liked to make fun of people and open my big mouth. Then I dug myself deeper by pushing him down when he objected to my "Your mother wears combat boots" commentary. He stands up and he hauls off with a straight punch with a setup that you could see all the way from across the city. Knocks my glasses clean off. I back up, he comes after me and I'm still groggy from the punch but I manage to snap a front kick off to his stomach. A seriously weak kick, so he backs off. He starts coming in to punch me some more and by this time I recover some more, so I snap off a few side kicks. He finally sees what I'm doing and he charges me. This dude's charge is FAST. I get my knee up and it's too late, he's got his arms wrapped around my waist and he throws me down and is on top of me with a full mount.

I am forced to eat dirt and punches as if they were part of a well balanced meal. I'm betting none of you knew that a single punch is 5% of your total daily daily serving of punches, right?

Another time, during my 4th year, I am scheduled to fight this skinny guy after an entire day of talking trash and posturing. I thought it would be an easy win. And it would've been .. had this big huge guy not interfered with the beatdown I was about to hand out. I'm getting ready to start pummeling after a few preliminary rounds of punching and kicking when suddenly I feel an arm around my neck and I'm face down on the ground. Yep. It's an RNC from a back mount. Only it's not a nice RNC, it's a trachea choke with the forearm straight on my throat. He says "You're gonna leave the little guy a lone, right? Right?" I manage to gasp out "Yeah, sure, whatever". He lets me up, turns his back, and I run at him with a jumping side kick. He turns back towards me and I MISS. ARGH!!! He catches my waist, drops me to the ground .. the punching starts .. I'm eating dirt ..

The other stories go on pretty much like this. :)

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I once ripped my own heart out and clubbed someone to death with it.

I realized my mistake shortly after that.

And I died.

16. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I hear they have a pill for that now. :D

17. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

Entirely wrong. I used to practise a martial art called Kook Sool Won, I was good at it, I won tournaments and was one of the best at my school. However once in a real fight I just got my ass handed to me, by this guy (he was a bit of a nutter) who was roughly the same size as me and strength so I should have had the advantage from my martial arts training.

So I think that story proves some martial arts are just rubbish for self defence no matter how good you are at them.

Saying that I've managed to use kuk sool won to get people in arm bars ect. lots of time, so maybe that one loss was just an exception.

18. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

Not me but a mate of mine. I was studying JKD, he was studying jiujitsu. He always seemed hugely confident after every training session and explained to me how he fancied his odds should a fight come along. One night he was jumped by a group and got slapped about to the floor without retaliating. They left before pursuing more hurt as he lay there curled in a ball. The next day he suddenly got his nerve back and told me all about how he froze up and sure enough would not let this happen again. Started explaining to me every detail of the events that transpired and asked what I would have done. I simply said "Learn from it and keep training".

He quit shortly after. Good riddens I say.

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

i was sparring a friend of mine last summer in a field...he was a BIG DUDE -something like 250lb- anyways he charges me and i start moving back trying to block ... then i tripped since the field isint exactly even and he fell on top of me :cry:
    i started screaming hahaha was like "holy f*** that hurt GTFO me im dying!"

20. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I tried a double leg takedown on this petite blonde. I took her down, but she grabbed my neck, flipped me, then pulled my pants off and spanked me.

Oh sorry, this isn't the role playing thread, is it?