Your Hero

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Well, there are many technical threads and what style does what threads, I thought it would be cool if we talked about who inspires us in the Korean Martial Arts and why. Who's your hero, why is he/she your hero, and what makes them better than all the rest!

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I honestly don't know anyone well enough to consider them a hero. I look up to Bill Wallace for coming back from his hip injury to do what he has done over a career so I'd guess him, but not really a hero.

3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hello, Hyeongsa.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero? Cuz you're EVERYTHING I wish I could be.

(Oh, and I could fly higher than an eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings.)

Hehe, I guess you now realize that I like Bette Midler, huh? :D

4. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Over the past year I've come to respect the hello out of CM John Murphy! He has technical excellence and administrative prowess that few can rival, not to mention he's an all around good guy who goes out of his way to help any sincere practitioner who crosses his path. Those are traits that I sincerely respect!

To add to that list, would be Master John Hancock, and for certain Grand Master In Sun Seo! :-D

5. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

My hero is Michael D. Echanis. I don't think anyone has lived their life quite like him. He was told he would never be able to do martial arts (or lead a normal life) after Vietnam and he searched for Hwarang Do on his return only to become the personel student of Joo Bang Lee. He was as cold as ice in combat and as warm as the sun with friends. In my opinion, a true martial artist.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Chuck Norris

The answer is ALWAYS Chuck Norris...

....unless it is Bas Rutten of course, then it is all Bas

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

#1 My dad and #2 Grand Master In Sun Seo.

8. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

For me my hero will always be the late Hugh Clowers Thompson, Jr. (1943 - 2006).

Best Wishes,

Bruce

9. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Mine would have to be Hugh Hefner guys!! He's 180 years old,and still has the best job in the world!

RL

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Same this thread isn't in the general section

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm very envious of people who have their dad as their hero, mine was a piece of crap I wouldn't spit on if he were on fire.

12. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

I find idolatry unpleasant or just silly, depending on the circumstances. There is no Platonic form with which to compare one human to another. As such, no one person is objectively better than any other. Whilst one may be an exceptional martial artist, their political views may lack in maturity and understanding and thus lead others into making poor judgement. You may find another who is a real friendly guy but who also lacks forwards motivation.

Nevertheless, taking inspiration from people is no bad thing. One of my lecturers at university has an underrated enthusiasm and depth of knowledge in his subject that inspires me to study harder. I also think that without such friendly characters and high quality instruction I would have lost my inspiration to continue Kuk Sool Won when I restarted recently.

My next goal is to reach the stage of self-motivation; something which I have long lacked.

13. Hannibal

*had a point with regards to the above, couldn't be bothered wasting time on it after all*

14. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Go on! Forums are for discussion are they not?

15. Hannibal

No, trust me it really wasn't worth it by the time I read it back..:)

16. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Ah well.

By your wording ("wasting time on it") I thought you meant that my post wasn't worth commenting on. I was a bit worried that I had said something utterly offensive.

17. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Yeah but think of the blessing at being able to know to a certainty that you are every bit a better man and person than he.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Then why not at least take the time to delete your post, eh Law-man?

19. Hannibal

Dunno - seemed to make more sense at the time to say "didn't scan well" rather than "deleted"...at the end of the day it's the same result so didn't dwell on it too much really. But thanks for the input, eh citizen. :)

20. Hannibal

No, no...I originally typed something crapola and now the whole thing has gone off on a derail...carry on, carry on....