your BJJ gripes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

i thought a thread for you to share your frustrations with the art would be interesting. mine would be training with women, it's a pain in the rear trying to practice a new technique and be careful with my hands!
    complain away!!

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Man, it's like deja vu. We just can't get any fresh subject matter here!

I really enjoy training with the little guys and the gals - as a rule they are much smoother than the big folks and it gives me the opportunity to disengage my strength and natural attributes and still be able to compete -although there is this one 120 lb guy who taps me out every time (as a rule).

My main gripe is that I dropped the sporting stuff for a year and went back to the traditional stuff. Really poked big holes in my jits game - now I'm almost rolling at an intermediate level and what holds me back is some real basic stuff (not giving and taking space at the right times, not sitting up in open guard, not pushing and pulling the right stuff). Ach how frustrating.

3. Southpaw535

have i recreated something old again? i have a nack for that.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

not the thread, just the "training with the opposite sex" subject.

5. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

My gripe is that I can't seem to turn as well on my left side as my right.

I guess I'm not an ambi-turner
    :woo:

6. forever young

forever young Valued Member

my only gripe with bjj is i cant get enough of it :)

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

:rolleyes: mine is training with men who are too concerned about training with women!

8. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Wee quick light people who moan about big guys "just using their strength". If you slow down by half I will use half as much strength. The annoying thing is we, being big burly handsome guys, do go light on the wee people.

They don't like it when I bring the thunder!

9. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

right now, my biggest gripe is that my training partner got herself pregnant.

10. Southpaw535

as a beginner, training with a women i have just watched train on the punchbag at wing chun, i feel compelled to be careful. i value my testicles

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

That's some pretty potent BJJ you got yourself there dude.

12. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I was going to say, thats just too easy.... :)

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree, though my problem is more self inflicted at the moment as I have too much work on to train.

What she said!

I also hate training with people (men and women) with long hair, even if its tied back, I always seem to get my hands tangled up in it!

14. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I think the point (as i understand it) is that whilst you are learning it is very annoying to have your good BJJ skills crushed by someone who simply outweighs you/overpowers you. It means neither of you learns anything useful.

My personal gripe is that my back never seems to recover enough between sessions so i constantly feel i should be resting it but i dont want to miss training!

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think I am one of those "wee quick people" who complain a bit about the men I train with just using strength.Thing is ,it's only the more experienced guys who know how not to injure me- I have been injured by an inexperienced guy using way too much strength on my ribs and crushing me. But yeah, it's good being quick :D

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That's my biggest problem. I'm always the smallest and lightest in class, so it can be really difficult to see if I'm progressing when most partners just have to sit on me and I can't move! :(

17. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I hate women who complain about men who complain about women.;) J/k, Lou.

Inevitably, I get paired up with the relatively-new guy who "just wants to go at 50%", but ends up trying to rip my head off the first chance he gets. They're usually also the same people who complain that I'm too rough on 'em when I return the favor. I don't mind playing rough, honestly, but you get what you give. Don't tell me we're going to take it light and then try to break my guard by slamming me.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol sorry Fuzzy :D

I do make sure that if I play rough I know I get played roughly with in return! :D

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

woof woof!

20. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Hey, calm it down, that's not what it's all about ;) lol.

The fact I can get beaten by 2 week white belts just because they squash me. I'm not in good enough condition atm to move fast enough to get out :(