yellow belt

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Cosmo Kramer, May 7, 2006.

1. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

passed my yellow belt test today. it whent really well he didnt have to ask me to redo anything. i was nervus before class as i always am when belt testing, but once the test got started i was fine. ive found hapkido to be a lot harder than TKD so even getting a yellow belt is a nice accomplishment. my goal is to be green by the end of the year

2. Cesar

Cesar Banned Banned

Can someone please answer this question? Why god why do people tell us about their yellow belt tests. I could understand telling us about your black belt tests if you really wanted to. But it's just a yellow belt. It's not an accomplishment.

3. Cosmo Kramer

a****** it feels good to pass no matter what rank, any new belt is an accomplishment.

4. Cesar

Cesar Banned Banned

No not every belt is an accomplishment. You can say a black belt is an accomplishment but not a yellow belt. Yellow belt is a very low rank. Okay to be fair I would say a brown belt would be acceptable. Cause you're almost to black belt.

5. Cesar

Cesar Banned Banned

I even know people who would say a black belt doesn't mean jack.

6. Cosmo Kramer

just because people say it does not mean its accurate. and a yellow belt is a low rank, but higher than the previous rank, it shows improvment and that you deserve to move up.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Big congrats on your yellow belt. It's nice to see students who are excited about their accomplishments and their motivation to do more and more. A yellow belt represents a significant era in a student's path, being recognized as having some basic skills and not being a complete beginner anymore. For an instructor it symbolizes that now on top of hammering basics, we can start adding new ideas and techniques and concepts and pushing for an even tougher level.

I wish you the best in your training and look forward to hearing of your accomplishments! :)

8. Cesar

Cesar Banned Banned

Getting a belt is like the least important thing in martial arts. People's enthusiasms for belts is one of the reason Mcdojo's make so much money. Belts might also give people a false since of accomplishment. Thomas this post to me tells me that this person isn't totally competent at their martial art. I'm saying getting belts shouldn't be your goal.

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Okay, sure. But if a student like the original poster wants to post about their accomplishments, what's the sense of hitting them with a bunch of negativity? If you do a search for Cosmo Kramer's posts on this board, you will see that it is a student who asks questions, trains hard, and is always wiling to positively discuss that which will make him a better student.

By the way, I took a quick look through your 100+ posts (over 11/day) but didn't see anything mentioning what you study, how long you've been studying, or even anything really related to the martial arts.

Do you train in the martial arts and what do you train in?

10. Cesar

Cesar Banned Banned

I'm not critcising if he is a good student or not. I'm criticising that he and other people are making threads about low level accomplishments. You're right he doesn't deserve negative or positive comments. Actually people should just ignore posts like this.

This is a martial arts forum. I'm not trying to be smart or anything. Look harder. I proabably talked about myself before.

11. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Congrats on your accomplishment CK. :D

12. delete me

delete me New Member

So why did you crawl out of your hole and belittle this person's achievement??

I have and you haven't!! The vast majority of your quotes have been derogatory, rude, sacastic, ill founded and with no respect to the individuals that originated the post or the persons who have posted on them at all.

If you have nothing positive to say then do us all a favour.........:rolleyes:

Please answer Thomas' question.....Have you had any MA training or experience?? And that does not include watching DVDs or playing video games!! Have you trained in Hapkido??

If not then what right have you got to sit in judgement of someone who has bothered to get of their rear, train hard for 3 - 12 months, go to a grading and face a grading panel of senior instructors and pass!!!

You obviously have no concept of the effort, blood sweat and tears that has gone into this result otherwise you would not be make such throw away comments.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  13. delete me

delete me New Member

:) Well Done for getting your Yellow Belt.:)

Was this your first grading in Hapkido or did you have to take yellow tab/tag first?

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  14. swb

swb New Member

Even a white belt is a step-up

Thought I dislike to numerous belts and agree that a belt is only symbolic...I too like to see myself progress. A white belt represents commitment to moving forward and willingness to train; a yellow can be said to represent action in the words of having said "I plan to train".

Congrads and keep going.
    Just curious, where do you practice? I did Hapkido in Manhattan and found it very interesting.

15. Cosmo Kramer

its nice to see the kind words.

its red river hapkido, teacher is master JR Hilland. he is from texas and has been teaching in fargo about two years. also used to teach in texas and ohio. you can visit the website www.rrhapkido.com.

16. Vandaler

Vandaler New Member

Yellow is my next grading I expect to pass in about 2 months.

The color yellow represents the rising sun and the beginnings of a new awakening. Thus it's not an accomplishement per say, but certainly cause for excitement.

Congratulations. I hope you will be able to keep your passion alive.

17. Cosmo Kramer

1st one, only tag we have is black stripe

18. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Congrats on the Yellow Belt...Somebody famous once said, "Every journey begins with the first step." And that is what a Hapkido Yellow Belt represents-the first step in your Hapkido journey. By the way, when the Master of the school I study Hapkido at presents a student with his Black Belt he says, "Congratulations on earning your Black Belt...you now know enough to begin to learn Hapkido." Keep working and keep us posted on your progress...See ya 'round the dojo...
    Chuckster

19. delete me

delete me New Member

Then the nerves would have been worse. Well that's the hardest one over and the rest get easier as you develope. Well done once again:D

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

MAP has done you all a favour ... you won't be hearing from Cesar again so don't expect an answer to that question ;)