yellow belt test in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by wazzabi, Apr 28, 2006.

1. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

my first day back in the dojang from a 4-5 month break, Master Hwang sees me training, helps me with my turning side-kick, then tells me to come consistently cause he's gonna test me for yellow belt in 2 weeks. i was like :eek: . couldn't believe i'd get it so soon. really excited, gonna train every day for this. i just felt like sharing this because i'm crazy excited. wish me luck guys :D

2. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

good luck, i have mine on the 6th. im starting to feel better about it though

3. laz001

laz001 Valued Member

Good luck wazzabi!!! I've got my grading in a month for blue belt (half way!!!) so i've been practising most nights too! I find the hardest thing is getting a traning partner out of class! I FINALLY got my girlfriend to start too, so i get to practise on her, and also get to practise helping her with the earlier belt curriculum (which is great because i get to practise it too, where sometimes i'd just concentrate on current belt stuff, and forget earlier stuff!!!) Tut Tut!

4. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

but won't that hurt her? :eek: i'd be more willing to practice on my brother than my girlfriend :D .

5. bonita

bonita Valued Member

that's awesome just relax and do your best and remember to BREATHE!

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Just passed my Yellow Belt in TKD last Saturday. Brand New! I know how you feel; when my instructor invited me to test I was flattered. It is a great thing when the instructor comes to you and says "I think you're ready". Now it is your turn to show him/her that they were right! Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :cool: :Angel:

7. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

yellow belt for hapkido is pretty easy tho....if u came to class 5 nights a week for 2 weeks (class being an hour and half long?) i reckon anyone could easily get yellow belt..

8. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

Good luck. Keep us posted.

9. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

it's not easy with GM Hwang though... he's given less than 10 blackbelts in his many years in Canada, and it takes some people 6 months to get their yellow belts. he only passes the best.

10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

wow...damn...must be high expecations then...sorry for making such a general statement then

I got my yellow belt about a month after i started Hapkido though and I'm currently at Blue 3 after about 1 year and 4 months training.

11. laz001

laz001 Valued Member

Hurt her?!? You must be KIDDING!!!! :)

I'm the one who ends busted up!!!

I end up with bruises from pinches, pokes, pp's, low kicks and all sorts when she does her moves, because she's a girl, she uses lots of 'distraction' techniques to negate the strength differences, which damn well hurt!!!

Obviously, any time i've even ATTEMPTED to do the same back, even softly, i get moaned at for going too hard (rolls eyes), so instead, i practise very much on the technique, doing it slowly and correctly.

Any training partner is better than no traning partner, even if they are uncooperative...because you'll eventually figure out how to make the move work!

I remember becuase i was a red belt in tkd when i started, i went straight to yellow belt in HKD, because our yellow belt is pure basics, stances, balance, some strikes and blocks/dodges and lock principles and little else, but suddenly, coming from a hard martial art and going to a softer martial arts like HKD was a shell shock, and it took months for me to get my orange!!! I just couldn't get used to the 'circular' prinicple...i just wanted to use strength all the time!!!

12. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

no problem man. it's funny because some of the yellow belts in this dojang could probably knock out black belts in another school. some guys have been yellow belts for years. it takes most people at least 10 years to get a black belt here, and like i said, he's given out less than 10.