xma kuk sool style

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by kswflip, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

how about kuksoolers getting a xma thing going??????

2. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

How about kuksoolers getting a mma thing going?
    How about kuksoolers getting a aerobic kickboxing thing going?
    How about kuksoolers getting a combat kuk sool thing going?
    How about kuksoolers getting a reality ma thing going?

hmmmmmmmm?????

How about kuksoolers getting a kuk sool thing going, and just doing old school ksw that just kicks a$$ and quit worrying about every fad that goes through the industry?

Not to be blunt but xma does not impress me, it is not ma. How about training and following in the spirit and example of those who paved the way over the last 20, 30, 40, 50 years. I know you probably want to do this for fun , but I think it's a little beneath any serious MAist. Please re-consider, no offense intended but.................

Rather than mess with another fad, how about spending all of that extra time on the core of KSW, do you have the patience to train your palm, your ki bup, your chung shin. your sword cutting, your fundamentals to make you move with the agility of a 30 y/o man when your 50 like Master Harmon, to hit with the power of an ox like M. Sims, to move with real center and fluidity like Master Yang, to kick like a Bull like Master B.I. Lee, to truly understand the dynamics of combat tactics and strategy and destroy people on the street like Master J. Lee.

No , mabye your right....let's just go play kick pretty in the gym. :bang:

lol

3. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

good point and yes i do have the time for all that.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't have anything against xma, but it is not my thing.

5. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Good, I truly hope you do.

6. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

If you want to do XMA more power to you. However... if you ever do it wearing a kuk sool won uniform I will hunt you down!!! The last thing I want is people stumbling into this forum and talking about how they saw a kuk sool guy at xma and now all kuk sool is XMA. I have enough of a time dealing with people seeing Gary Goodridge in the UFC. The last think I want is Kuk Sool associated with Mike Chat or whomever the guy is that started XMA!

7. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

what is XMA? I found a few sites that claim it is awesome without explaining it, and a you tube video which is nothing but MA style gymnastics. Is that it?

8. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

What I know of it is just that its big flips, coupled with big kicks, loads of fancy flippy movements with weapons, etc. Its all for show, no combat tactics or anything involved. It can look good sometimes, a lot of the time cheesy... It ain't my thing really, although I still wouldn't mind being able to do flips, I would never consider going into XMA. I have more important things to keep on at. kswflip, if you want to go ahead with it, I'm not against that, but I'm with what people have said so far. But yeah go for it if you think it will benefit you in your MA training! :)

9. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

well that livened things up a bit :D

what sort of thing are you thinking of, kswflip?

personally i'd like to do a bit of extra curricular training to improve my flips, cartwheels, aerials etc and i know of 2 or 3 others who may be interested too :)

10. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Ok flipz do you mean lets put on XMA uniforms and do the whole shouty attitude thing or are we just talking TRICKING here.
    Personally i think anyone who knows me knows I love watching tricking and the whole musical forms scene. So anyone who wants to dis it ............. PUT EM UP!!! lol :D :D :D

11. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Well, it really comes down to "is XMA martial arts or just gymnastics". I guess it's sorta martial gymnastics. ;) I mean, I can't do that stuff and really have no desire to do it. I don't desire a career in Hollywood, I prefer to know how to actually fight and defend myself.

It's fun to watch XMA and those sorts of competitions, tho I figure one of these days those kids are going to pop a vein in their forehead from yelling so damn much. I respect their abilities and what they do, but it's just not my thing and I have no desire to study it. Heck, even some of the more acrobatic kicks and stuff in KSW-proper, if you will, isn't quite my thing.

12. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

xma is martial dance and annoying, especially all the shouting and attitude :bang:
    tricking is good fun, and a great body condititoning tool, but has lttle relivance to real martial arts.

this year, myself and airnick, were quite surprised to see some little kid at an extreme forms compertition do a butcherd version of straight and reverse sword forms (combined) + added bits with one of those tiny little plastic wakazashis, in akido style legs, doing all the shouting and poseing standered in these types of compertitions. i have never seen kuk sool sword forms look so ugly, or so histericaly funny than i did that day.

if you had seen this, you would stay well away from wanting any sort of kuk sool involement in xma style compertitions.

13. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

yes i think some of you got wrong end off the stick.HEHEHE
    just wanted to get better at flips and things and have a meet up now and again to flipp about

14. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

:) Thanks lucky stars Matt has not seen me do sword :D :D :D

Proprioception,and balance skills!!! I think thats the biggest benefit from doing all this type of thing. Personally i would argue that that has a great relevance to any type of martial arts training you do. It in itself won't teach you how to break someones neck, but it might help you shift your bodyweight quicker and more balanced to hit someone if you already have the technique in your head. :)

15. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

It was hilarious but I would like to know where he learnt the forms from!

16. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

as you all know kuksoolwon has lots of acrobatics it would be nice to teach this better and have all students give this training a go any thoughts!!!!

17. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

That sounds really quite disturbing...

Also, what are "aikdo style legs"? And the "shouting", is that excessive kiahps?

18. JKN-Scott

JKN-Scott New Member

You forgot to add the spitting during the shouting! :D

19. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

xma is realy way out there attitude for one thing have you ever talked to these guys???

20. Dubu

Dubu Valued Member

I dont go in for xma as such, thats a whole system in its own patented right.
    XMA is the stuff you see mike chats team do in the weird silver and black jump suits - weirdos.

I do trick because its fun and its a worthwhile way to condition your body - using your own weight. Plus im going for the stunt registry so i need to be able to do that stuff.

Tricking is fun - but i wouldnt buy into xma. Costs too much to do a free form version of gymnastics that you can teach yourself.