Wu shu kwan manchester- the 80's

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by bigwoklun, Aug 16, 2007.

1. bigwoklun

bigwoklun Valued Member

anyone ever train in wu shu kwan in Manchester UK in the 80's, under a guy named Graham A Phillips, 1st degree? I think he went on to create his own style called Gee Wei Shu. Anyone heard of him?

2. Yes I'm still alive , not kicking as much as I did though, spent sometime in India managing a charity, I'm back now, in north Manchester , hoping that one day I can teach a class again, if and when the opportunity arises. Graham A Phillips ( Geeweishu )

3. Paul Slosarczyk

Paul Slosarczyk New Member

Hey Graham, I trained with you on occasion in the early eighties at WSK on Claremont Rd. I also remember other Black Belts around at the time: Terry Kane, Bill Teiss, Chet Alexander, (Sugar) Ray?, and another Black belt instructor who used to run a class out of a church hall in Longsight. Where are they now I wonder? Loved the style and the comeradery. Do you still train/teach?

4. Paul Slosarczyk

Paul Slosarczyk New Member

...actually it was (Sugar) Joe Ray who ran the Longsight Class I seem to remember. There was another good fighter who ran a WSK class in Miles Platting and used to train with us in Bills class but I can’t remember his name...Paul? How come WSK disappeared from the Manchester scene?

Soonmixdin likes this.
  5. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

Hi gents, was this the same Wu Shu Kwan found by C K Chang?

6. Richard Evans

Richard Evans New Member

Hi new here

I was at Claremont / princess road in the 80s . Loved the classes eat your heart out Bruce lee . Went on to teach myself later at uni. Didn’t know much about the style back then as I was young so any info would be great . I recall our instructor doing a demo kicking over people’s shoulders and landed with his legs apart resulting in a walking stick for some time. Anyone know who I’m talking about ? Thanks

7. Chris Richardson

Chris Richardson New Member

I found this forum while trying to locate Terry Caine (or is it Kane?), who was my instructor at Manchester Uni. I was his first student to get a black belt. I don't remember Graham Phillips. I remember Bill Teiss, Chet Alexander, and Ray extremely well. Yes, this style was founded by C.K. Chang, whom I also remember very well. His English wife, a real stunner, also got her black belt. I was an instructor myself for a short while in Barbados, where I first came across WSK as a schoolboy, and where it had a reasonably strong following.