WTF or ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by ronmeister, May 12, 2003.

?

ITF VS WTF

1. WTF < ITF

58.3%
  2. ITF < WTF

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

My school is WTF and we use pads, full contact to the scoring area of the chest protector, and no contact to the head. Kicks only score, punches that visibly knock a person backward count too. Only body shots count and you are immediately disqualified with blow to the face, head, groin, knees or below. I started in a full contact, no pads, dojo. Things have changed and one of things I see with 'all the rules' is that many TKD practioners tend to protect the scoring area and forget about their head. Remember, as you train-so shall you fight!

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

WTF, full contact, at least that's how we do it-

3. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

In the TAGB its basically full contact as others have said or the hardest semi contact lol but I think if the TAGB changed to full contact then to many people would get serious injuries.

4. 29622

29622 New Member

Full to the body and light to the head.

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

jamesy i doubt that the TAGB changing the way they describe there contact in comps wpould make any difference its still gonna hurt either way. LOL

6. KO_Artist

KO_Artist New Member

i thought it was any school that did olympic style sparring

7. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Oh really?
    If that was the case then why arent the TAGB and UKTA guys KO'ing kickboxers in full contact kickboxing bouts?
    Also which Full contact kickboxers have you fought it? It would be interesting to find out.

8. Gammacron

Gammacron New Member

I bet they also hit harder than professional boxers in their corresponding weight class :rolleyes:

9. little_monkeys

little_monkeys New Member

I dont think one is better than the other, just different. I like WTF for the competitions...but at my old school, we did both ITF and WTF. We learned both sets of forms, did point and full contact, etc. We also learned sumakwon (sp?). I liked having a wide range of poomse to pick from for competitions, though I almost always did either Palgwe forms or the sumakwon forms.

10. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat New Member

Sparring in ITF/WTF

This is probably a really stupid question so i'd appreciate it if people didn't reply with rude remarks.

Well i used to be in ITF a few years ago and we never focussed on competitions or anything but when we sparred we were taught to punch as well as kick, probably like kickboxing. But i recently changed to WTF and when we spar in training i noticed that everyone seems to just kick rather than use any punches. It's not really a big deal, it just kind of annoys me. So is it part of the rules of WTF not to punch or do people just find kicking is more efficient for point scoring or something?

Thanks to those who reply.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

WTF sparring does not allow punches to the head, and punches to the body have to be very powerful in order to score.

Kicks are scored higher, with more marks for spinning and difficult kicks (as I understand it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As a result, punches are almost never used in WTF competition, certainly at higher levels.

If a club has competition as its primary focus it will therefore perhaps concentrate less on punches than kicks.

However, there is no reason why a WTF school should not teach the full range of techniques in class and many posters on here will tell you that their clubs do.

Mitch

12. philp

philp New Member

Yup! :D

13. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

Mitch, I believe you dont get any extra points for executing more difficult kicks. Well in Sydney at least, you get 2 points for hits to the head, and 1 point for body hits. This is regarless of whether you do a turning kick or a 720...^^

14. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Or nothing like kickboxing at all. Yeah, I too started with ITF (or actually GTF, but now we're ITF again) and I too learned to punch someone during sparring, and I thought I knew how to use my hands - then I went and started to kickbox, and I learnt that what I knew was nothing like kickboxing at all...

As Mitch say, WTF doesn't allow hand techniques to the head and seldom give points for hand techniques to the torso, something that imho makes wtf-sparring boring to watch :p

15. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i prefer the scoring method of kicks.... watching someone score from a weak jab to the midsection is a bit lame.

In ITA its 2 points head, 1 point midsection....+1 point if the kick is a jump kick.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

My bad, apologies and thanks for the correction; WTF is not my strong point.

Mitch

17. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Actually Mitch you were correct. The rules have changed for WTf sparring and extra points are given for flashy kicks and knockdowns. I've seen one tournament with the new rules and it makes the sparring much more interesting.

18. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I'm still waiting to see what the new WTF rules with head punches end up looking like.

19. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Bump with what TKD Guy said. I do wonder why they allow kicks to the head (for 2 points) but not strikes? In my dojang (WTF) no kicks to the head are allowed and you will be disqualified if you kick to the head. I find it strange and I think the kids suffer from the rules. If they ever have to use something on the street, their head is big target they fail to defend! :Angel:

20. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

Never heard that one before sorry.

I our club we just use the punch as a defence measure or as a means to put our opponent off.