Wouldn't it be cool if...?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by littlebadboy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Also GM Chuiten was also a major influence on the development of Lapunti Arnis De Abanico, he and the late GM Filimon Caburnay were alos close friends and worked very closely together developing the Lapunti Style. So it is more than likely that the late GM Presas became friends with GM Chuiten.

Regards

Pat

2. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Master Chiuten is promoting his newest brand of martial art called Pronus Supinus. It is really a more scientific presentation of time-tested combat theories, going back to the yin-yang concept of Shaolin Kung Fu. I don't know how deep his friendship with grandmaster Remy was, but even when they were supposed to fight, it wasn't a grudge match but an honorable duel between two warriors respectful of each other's styles but at the same time supremely confident of one'd own. Sorry, there was no video, since the match was really a private affair, but somehow news about it spread. Besides, there was nothing to record. The match didn't happen.
    I really think that for mixed weapons fighting (MWC) to be more than a passing novelty, some parameters must be defined. That was why I asked in an earlier post what was the point of watching MWC. This will prevent mismatching of weapons and contestants, the danger of a lopsided match will be avoided. Even the ancient Romans had strict protocols about how their gladiators fought.
    I mean, even if weapons were limited to wooden ones, what is to prevent me from entering a contest vs a rattan-wielding opponent, while I am armed with a freshly-cut pointed bamboo lance. This will qualify as a wooden weapon. For those of you who don't know how lethal bamboo can be, let me inform you that traditionally in the Philippines, young males were circumsized with a freshly-cut bamboo. It usually takes only one slice for the operation to be completed. Ferdinand Magellan was felled by bamboo lances before he was killed with a blade.
    Oh, and wouldn't it be legitimate also if I got sneaky and fought with a spring-loaded cane that fired hidden darts? Better yet, if the MWC was fought in an open field, can I use my wooden bow that fires wooden arrows at my rattan-wielding opponent? Some people may find the spectacle highly amusing in the beginning, but after the initial euphoria, it becomes a boring and predictable sport.
    WMC must have some kind of format to be interesting. For example, sinawali or doble baston vs wooden replicas of butterfly knives, Tapado or Ananangkil vs jo, etc.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well in a MWC competion, suposeing such a thing would ever happen, some of the things you said would likly not happen. All you have to do is inspect each and every competetors weapon(s) before the fights. And to simply disallow non melee weapons from being used.
    Also, assuming that since this is a competion for sport I doubt anyone would bring a wepaons that is definatly designed to be lethal, like a sharpened wooden spear or woodden arrows
    Abnd as for people getting bored with watching MWC, that could happen but look at boxing, its the same stuff over and over and over. Punch punch pounch punch But yet it is still very popular. Because there is lots of subleties to it jsut as there are lots of sublties in a fight between two equally or nearly equallly matched fighters with wepons.
    My only problem with this idea is that itwuld make the weapon based arts that particpate in this becoem more and more sportified. look at kendo and modern olympic fencing and the SCA there are things done these sports that while having some real bearing on real combat with real weapons, it is still geared towards competion. And then you might also end up with the NSCAR-ification of the sport. IE the combatants wuld end up with decals of sponsers all over their armor or protective gear. I couldnt take a man in a full harness of gothic plate seriously ifit were painted bright greena nd a had a huge Mt Dew logo on it.

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I dont quite see how you would work scoring in it, I mean some weapons are ment to be heavy (like axes, greaswords, hammers)right? SO would you weight the wooden ones? Would a blow from a greatsword with its sharp heavy edge count the same as a blow from a rattan? What about rappiers, seeing as they are meant to be ultra sharp and stabby would a thrust from one of them be judged the same as a thrust from a hammer?

5. Cudgel

well that is true. Sorta
    But that Is why I owld favor steel blunts to be used rather than wooden weapons.
    And in any case it is possible to make a wepaon of wood that will have a weight fairly close to that ofthe wepaon is replicating. Remember big weapons arent all that big. The heaviest greatswords used for combat were only 8 pounds, at teh most, and most weighed far less, around 3 pounds. The same for axes and maces and such.
    Or you could break it into divisons based on weapon size. Like they have for weight in boxing and MMA.
    And divisions for wooden and steel wepaons
    and for armored and unarmored.
    Because quite honestly a rattan stick would get eaten alive buy any sort of bladed weapon.
    back in the middle ages and the Renaissance they had counted blow tourneys. By which a certain number of telling blows would be required to be scored. Unfortunatly telling usually means having blood drawn or bones broken.
    But by making any form of scoring system will end up making distortions from a real fight.
    Olympic fencing is screod by touches. Kendo is some where between a touch and sound blow along with a proper Kiai and only counts if it is struck with the last thrid of the shinai. SCA heavy weapons counts any blow the the person feels would have actaully gotten them, but that is more or less on teh honor system and can be abused. Single stick was scored by the first person to draw an inch opf blood from his oppenent's head, with a stick.

And rapiers arent super sharp jsut like a katana isnt super sharp. They are sharp enough.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

well... if there would be a version of MMA competitions for Weapons, why not just let it happen first and see how it goes instead of making so many rules, divisions or judging parameters before the competition has yet to be realized?

but... speaking of divisions, i think it would be cool for a division with just using weapons alone and another division which would allow hand, feet or whatever striking, and grappling together with weapons.

though i think the mock up weapons to be used will have some tough arguements though.

7. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

Cudgel, could u explain please how one would draw an inch of blood from an opponent? :D

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

I can handle that one Scar. :)
    A small bump or scratch on the head will not be enough to stop the fight but a wound severe enough that blood flows significantly would be a fight stopper. Of course there is still a little wriggle room. " It's not really a lot of blood I just smeared it a bit, referee." :D

9. Cudgel

i think it means that you cause a split in the skin with your stick, and the split has to be at least an inch long.

10. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Just to confirm...It is a cut no less than one inch long.

11. Cudgel

IM not really sure if causing a break or split in the skin with a stick would count as a cut.

12. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

You may have misunderstood. A cut in England means to bleed as in divide or open up the skin. I think you are being a little pedantic to say the least.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

13. black_arnis

black_arnis New Member

Grandmaster Remy Presas vs the kendo champion of Japan

A story was related to me by a direct student of Grandmaster Ernesto Presas that when Grandmaster Ernesto and Grandmaster Remy Presas were in Japan doing a demo the kendo champion of Japan requested a sparring match with the Filipino contingent. The late Grandmaster Remy Presas obliged. The kendo practictioner made a strike and Grandmaster Remy blocked this and answered with 4 consecutive strikes to the kendo players body and head. The Filipino contingent then took the next flight out just to be sure because they have just defeated the Japanese kendo champion in front of the prince of Japan! ( son of the Emperor of Japan ). :D If you guys have a direct link to Grandmaster Ernesto Presas can you verify this? :)

14. littlebadboy

whoah! if that was true, it would be so cool to see that if it was caught on video!

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

A couple years ago a few buddies of mine entered a wushu open, weapons sparring tournament. Chanbara style(actionflex). I think I wrote about this previously on this forum, it was the one where a whole contingent of fighters showed up dressed like jedi knights, and got their behinds wupped. Anyways, the judges were iado(sp?) guys, and during the breaks and after the tournament two of my buddies requested to spar with them. The two judges had 17 & 18 years experiance, and one of my friends had about 2-3 years of eskrima the other had over ten. Looking at the footage(I wasn't there, unfortunetly) you can really see the iado training, they had excellent timing, an incredible sense of distance -being just out of the way, and clear strong powerful blows. My buddy with 2-3 years really got it handed to him in the first couple of rounds, but he gave back good in return. The big difference was the iado guys would only throw one strike and then reset their stance(one strike, one kill mentality), my buddies would throw combinations of 3, 4, 5+ strikes at a time moving in and around them. My favorite bit was one hit where my buddy(the more experianced one) knocked the iado guys head back about three feet. The also played doble baston and espada y daga. I don't think their training prepared them for dealing with more than one weapon coming at them at once. Great guys though, you could see the high level of their training. They had perfect attributes for blade.

16. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

They also fought the wushu guys, but kung fu floor gymastics vs. trained eskrimadors doesn't make for a very impressive match.

17. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

No rules? Somebody will surely get killed.

18. littlebadboy

perhaps the basic common sense ones of course so nobody will get killed.