Wouldn't it be cool if...?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by littlebadboy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

...if we see a sparring match between an arnis practitioner versus a kendo practitioner (of course using wooden swords)? and a european fencing practioner against arnis and kendo? or any other weapon fighting systems against another...

sort of mma for weapon fighting...

cool?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

There's footage of Boken vs Stick on the Dog Brothers tapes.

In fact - there's quite a lot of mixed weapons.

3. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Go to the Photos, look in the member gallery, find Louie's photos and you will see that happens. We're playing and friendly sparring but I've picked up a few bruises.
    And improved timing and ability to perform under pressure.
    Lots of us like hitting each other with sticks. Style isn't really that important when someone is trying to knock the snot out of you with a stick.

4. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I have an old Dog Brothers tape and they defend stick against - whip, nunchuks all sorts, very good.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Now THAT I like :D

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've got that two. And whilst I don't doubt the abilities, of course the guys with the sticks were gonna win ;) It's their primary training tool :)

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

This made me chuckle, not that I am going to critise it, it is just that back in 1998 a Kendo guy asked me to spar with him to see if I liked Kendo (give me a big stick and tell me to hit you, how could I refuse) and from the little expeariance I had, I must say I took a shine to it, now at the time he gave me the impression he was good. I later found out otherwise.

Anywho, we doned the armour in the usual fashion, all the cerimony had me a bit baffled, but there you go.

The problem here is he forgot to tell me the rules of play (Kendo competition rules that is) and as far as I was concerned it was just a free sparring session.

Now when he shouted before he hit, that first one took me by surprise, but saying that I still ducked, stepped behind him and smacked him on the back of the head. His reply was "you cant do that, it is not in the rules". At the same time I was imagining his head rolling along the floor.:D I have mentioned this story somewhere else before and fortunatley it has given me an invite from some good Kendo people for me to play with, which if I get the cahnce would love to take up the offer.

Anyway because this funny expeariance, I have since then sought out some real practitioners of various weapons fighting systems and we have played as they say and it has been an education to say the least, many bumps and bruises came part and parcel with it and much fun was had by all. but one thing always shone through, it was not the weapon or the style that counted, it was the person and the intent behind the weapon that became the most important aspect.

But I know what you are saying though, it would be nice to see some kind of format where the different weapons styles could compete against each other, but I firmly beleive it would not be a case of this style will win because it is better, it will be a case of this person will win because he/she is better.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

I have seen arnis player go against other stylists armed with different weapons. Yeah, it provides some cool entertainment, and a degree of education. In the Philippines, there have been several instances of actual encounters, the most common being street fights - lead pipe vs knife, that kind of thing. At the end of it all, I have to ask, what is the POINT of watching such spectacles? Is it to see how effective an arnisador armed with the usual 28" rattan stick will fare against other fighters armed differently, or is it to find out what is the most efficient wooden weapon and techniques? I think most arnis styles in existense today was developed to prepare the fighter to go against a similarly armed opponent. By this I mean, an opponent armed with a short stick, knife or a combination of these weapons. In one famous challenge match in Manila between a Filipino stickfighter and a kung fu stylist armed with a nin-section steel whip, the fight was called off as it was deemed that the stick was no match for the steel weapon. If fights were to emphasize matching against assorted weapons, I believe that Arnis as we Know it now will surely evolve into something else. It would be useless preserving a style that is effective only in stick vs stick fighting.

10. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

A while ago, we set something like that up at a Karate tournament. We used foam rubber weapons (many of which broke, thanks to their crappy wooden cores) and plexiglass face shields, along with handpads and chest protectors. It was awesome, and it was also total chaos. We didn't have a very concrete scoring system and we kind of got crunched for time... still, I should talk to my sensei about rekindling it.

11. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Was that Remy Presas versus Johnny Chiuten?

I remember hearing something about that once...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

The eskrima cats I train with do this every now and again. We have a kendo guy in our club.

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

yes it wold be cool to see a MMA style weapon tournament. But I dont think using wooden weapons would be the best way. Blunt steel. And armor.
    Then we could finally have and end to the katana is better than <insert sword that isnt a katana> and similar discussions.
    I wold pay money to see various differnt styles with blunt steel or maybe even wooden weapons fighintg one and one or even in groups.

I love that.
    I myself have wanted to saprr againsnt a kendoka or even a kenjutsu-ka.

14. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

You would have to be strictly true to your art if you used wooden or even blunt steel weapons to get a comparison of who could do what. As blunt weapons tend to be used as impact weapons after a period of time.

The old, I know I have cut him...he has not acknowledge the blow so now I will try to hurt him by hitting him as hard as I can in order to get a reaction and his attention, comes to mind.

But wouldn't both participants need to be of equal ability to get an accurate result.....how do you measure these abilities in two different arts? Unless you use live blades and the one that dies first loses. :D

If they both die at exactly the same time do we call it a draw...and do they care at this point? :rolleyes:

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

15. Cudgel

if both combatants killed eachother or scored double touches you could be assure that they werent that good. And even if one was good. If some total newb wanted to hit the other guy no matter what with regard for personal safety he most likly will.

16. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

But......what if they are both that good that they both find a weakness at the same time?

As invariably your biggest weakness is given away during your attack. It can happen.

Only joking....but it makes you think :D

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

17. Cudgel

true good point.

18. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

That's right. It was between Johnny n Remy. Master Chiuten is still very much alive.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

is there a video clip of that somewhere?

20. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I don't believe they fought in the end.

From what I hear, they ended up friends.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005