Would you quit martial arts? if....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by El-Guapo, Jul 10, 2008.

1. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

Hi,
    Imagine that It had been discovered lately that all the martial arts in the whole world is useless for self defence and real life situations.... :eek:

Would you quit martial arts? :confused:

for me it is a big NO

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So teaching people to fight doesn't work when fighting?

I don't have that much of an imagination :dunno:

should this be in the ninjutsu section?:D:D:D ........joking!

3. Gussigan

Gussigan Valued Member

errrr.....

what?

4. Moi

Check out his previous names. He's waivering, I smell a convert:D

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

ooooooh MD how could you say such things! :turtle:

I only use fighting on video games, so most of my martial arts are useless when it comes to my real life applications.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

7. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

Hey martial dad
    Use your imagination buddy!

8. Moi

I'm trying:meditate:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOkxRLzBf0"]YouTube[/ame]

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I would ask the guy that made the discovery to teach me:)

regards koyo

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

lol wut?

11. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

The time spent pondering an answer for this question is time that could be spent training in martial arts, which as far as I know still have some merit in self defense.

Sorry I dont have much imagination either.

Of course to say that ALL martial art would be useless doesn't make sense. There would have to be some system in existence to render the others no good.

12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

There is

regards koyo

Attached Files:

• gun.gif
      gun.gif
      File size:
      65.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

lol, that was going to be my next point. Firearms have already left hand to hand combat almost obsolete.

14. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

The short answer is "no", but that does not rule-out choosing to stop teaching as it is often more trouble than its worth and often only takes time away from my own practice and research.

I would stay with MA for three reasons.

a.) I owe them a huge debt for helping get my life back together when my country did not care if I did or not.

b.) The arts themselves have intrinsic value are cultural artifacts that deserve much more regard than they usually get, and are worthy of preservation and promotion.

c.) Beyond their effectiveness as methods of self-defense, there are the challenges and training that they furnish of which people in the West are avoidant and could benefit from.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Good point Bruce, martial arts is more than self defense, its a lifestyle, its about growth and learning. And besides, if someone discovered that my art was entirely useless I would be more motivated to train harder and prove that its not.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

So even if you knew for a fact that there was absolutely nothing in your ma that was any use you would carry on wasting your time in it?

Odd.

17. Moi

Do that many people actually train for self defence? I know it's a motivation to start martial arts but it's as much a by-product rather than any ultimate goal.
    I suppose the reality based stuff sees it differently but that can breed the martial arts paranoia that is seen so often with people that don't fight.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I don't do it ALL for self defence but if I thought it was completely useless I wouldn't waste my time .

19. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Well............ any serious fighter should be up to date on what works and what doesn't, and should cross train in different arts anyway.

Also, who has the authority to claim that a particular art is completely useless.

hasn't this been happening for years, A teacher who wants your money will usually tell you that other systems are no good... right?

20. Moi

In many circumstance martial arts, however good you are, are useless.
    Think of them like sport, football, tennis etc: Fitness and fun. - hey I used my imagination!