would itf tkd instructor have problem with me doing freestyle forms

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by musical forms, Jul 27, 2012.

1. musical forms

musical forms Valued Member

would my itf tkd instructor have problem with me doing freestyle forms as some thing else to do .
    i can't ask him because i am not one his favourites.
    would he have problem with it i wonder
    they both separate areas

i am doing freestyle forms for fun no more then that i am not serious competir just dong it for fun i don't do gymnastics that's why i am doing it for fun .

sorry i could not explain but i am trying to explain better

2. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

If you were my student, within the class I would urge you not to show freestyle forms as I am your instructor, you would be free to do this outside your training but within the dojo when I take the class, I instruct and tell you what to do regarding patterns etc. To try and demonstrate any other forms should be in your own time without the presence of a full class in front of your instructor, you are there to learn ITF TKD so be it! Do NOT try to show any other art within your TKD class, students are there to learn from a instructor not anything else.

3. musical forms

no i keep them very separate tkd for tkd no other
    and freestyle forms on my own time only not mixed at all i would not mix the two i would get confused .it is on my own time .my uniforms , never mixed
    would he still have problem with it

4. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

I am sorry but I don't understand your question? If you are saying "I do other styles outwith the dojang" then no your instructor should have no problem with it, why would you tell him without him asking? Sorry a bit confusing this!!

5. musical forms

no i never said any thing you doing other style inside the school sorry i did not mean to make sound that sorry .if i have confused you.why would you tell him without him asking? Sorry a bit confusing this!! now i am confused i don't tend to tell i am doing freestyle in case he said no.
    but i am doing for fun and to get out of the house no more then that

6. righty

righty Valued Member

If the TKD instructor never finds out then do it. I'm not going to tell my instructor about any dance classes I go to.

I won't say what I think of your instructor having 'favourites' though.

7. musical forms

it like total separate isn't it once i don't break the rules about mixing them two.i would say its ok .

and favourites bit yeah i have put with it that because i am not one .he only add his favourites his Facebook the ones are not there are not his favourites .i added once he delete me and i train and pay him and then one he meet in competition who don't pay him and don't train with him he only meet once gets added but not me i have train with him for years

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Find a new instructor. Problem solved.

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ I think she said previously there aren't many clubs in here local area. You really need to let this Facebook obsession thing go. I know it seems almost impossible in 2012 to have a social life or any existence without membership of networking sites like Facebook but they are not for everyone. It is still possible to have a life and not a FB account

10. AndrewTheAndroid

Then she should look a bit further out, even if it means changing styles. I don't think that this guy is a good instructor from what she is saying. I don't think I would like training under someone who I did not think was approachable enough to ask something as basic as "can I practice a free-style form?"

Picking favourites(more importantly making it known) is not only unwise from a teaching point of view but also a business point of view. Specifically when it come to facebook, I don't "friend" anyone unless they send out the invite. In that case I add everyone from my business. That's just my personal page, our business page doesn't turn anyone away either.

If I treated my customers the way the OP is getting treated, I'd lose business.

11. musical forms

well i don't think i tell him in case he won't too happy with it .but won't inter fer with him at all. i will try it if he find out i can try explain to him ,that on my own time i will representing my self in event .

but i have freestyle uniforms brought and i am working routine i have some music.. and i am saving to go event soon,

12. musical forms

it known that he has favourites i was even said to by anthor person he has most intersted in are his favourites he coaches more and talks about them more he always goes talking to students he like most the one who are not his favourite don't even get looked at
    what i think with him if you not international competitor he has no interstd in that student becasue student does not compete international

thats what i think.i hope he not on forum i get real trouble

13. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

You sound like you are not happy where you train and you also want to learn other styles, you also are scared that he may be on this forum and you will get in trouble? Why are you training there then?

Also there is always favourites in every dojang, thats just life and thats why people have favourite friends etc etc, you have to accept that and get on with it.

Don't worry about him reading this (I doubt he will be and if he did why would he think it's you?) and get on with your training. :happy:

14. musical forms

i am not happy where i train it more then instructor .there is no other club i can train in there no may school around i was bullied out of one by teacher not they teacher i have now but different one because i was different place he kept picking on me he told me i gave out bad vibes he was at 30 minutes solid .i have travel 40 miles to train as it is its hard enough.no i am not favourite i never will be .
    i just like try some thing new freestyle forms as some thing to do much eles for fun not to win i came across freestyle when i saw nikki berwick do freestyle i said i could give that ago may be not to her level or any one eles level i am new to it.i need to make new friend if any one will time of day .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I used to train with an instructor who was a little Napoleon, it was his way or the highway. During class or in a tournament, as long as his school name was on the dobok I did as he requested. However I also had a plain white dobok w/o patches and often did freestyle forms and did quite well. Its your money, do what you want.

16. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Your info says you are from Ireland. In Ireland ITF TKD is the majority TKD. I guess that since Ireland was a poor country when south Koreans were moving abroad, few saw value in moving there, so they did not get the influx of TKD instructors ere that other Western nations did. GM Rhee Ki Ha oversaw TKD's development from across the Irish Sea when he moved to Britain in 1967.
    That being said I do not think any TKD instructor should have a problem with a student doing freestyle forms. To me TKD is a personal journey where individuals need to have their own way to develop themselves more fully into better people in a wide range of areas. So I would encourage students to use their creativity if that is what interests them to participate in this activity.
    Now when it comes to ITF TKD are forms are called patterns or Tuls & they are highly standardized. They have been that way for decades due to mostly Gen. Choi & his work around the world & his insistence that the standard be taught & judged globally. It is a really unique situation on this worldwide scale. I am glad to see the WTF now hold Poomsae WCs. I am sure that this will help them catch up in their own way with creating more standardization for their group.
    Now an ITF instructor may be concerned that since we have such a high level of standardization that MUST BE MET, anytime sent on freestyle forms may slow down a student's progress according to the very demanding syllabus. But as I mentioned above, TKD is an individual journey. Some can train only 1 time a week, while others can train daily. Likewise some schools do Patterns everyday, while others do them less.
    If I trained my patterns once a month & you trained them once a week, chances are your would be sharper than mine & you may progress in that area faster then me. By the same measure, one who trains them 4-5 times a week in class & the other 2-3 days on their own, will probably be better than both of us, don't you think?
    However it doesn't matter as to me, TKD is an individual journey. What you put into most things will also determine what you get out of it. So here there are 2 sides of the coin. One may be that the instructor & student may be concerned somewhat if training time is devoted to free style forms which is not part of the syllabus. The flip side of that coin is that a student's creativity may flourish & that IMHO is a good thing & should be nurtured. This can help a student in many easy, including keeping their interest level up. In the end I think every student should seek a school & instructor that can help them get where they want to go. In the end it is all about the student & their progress. While attention to free style may slow down promotional advancement in some systems, what does that matter if it helps the student to continue to train & become a creative, more rounded martial artist? What we as instructors are trying to do is that, no? So if a promotion is slowed a bit, but the student flourishes, who cares about the belts, as TKD is a lifelong journey!
    So one may get a BB in 3 years & another will take 4 years! What does it matter, especially when one looks back after 40 years of great personal growth?!?!?!?!

17. musical forms

i am only doing it for fun not much eles.just some thing eles to do is all .
    i am hoping he won't have problem with it is all .

18. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

ask him if you care that much. you will get your answer.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

Then just man up and ask him. I think that will go a lot better than if he finds out later through someone else.

20. musical forms

thanks all yee advice thanks very i really do apperacted

thanks very much i yee lad have nice nice