Wooden Training Knives

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Gerry Casey, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Gerry Casey

Gerry Casey Valued Member

Does anyone know of a good supplier of wooden training knives? Preferrable in the UK.

A friend is looking to get some and any recommendation would be appreciated.

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Nearly every martial arts website, or company in a magazine, will sell wooden training knives, depends if you are looking for something special, or just a run of the mill training knife, or are you looking to buy in bulk ?

Personally I prefer aluminium training knives, had a couple of wooden ones splinter on me in the past, plus the nice shiny blade seems to make everything that bit more realistic

Neil

3. Gerry Casey

Training Knives

I have had the same problem with wooden knives splintering in the past, which is why i am looking for a recommendation rather than just buying from any site. The knives are for a couple of teenagers so i would prefer that they use wood to start with and am looking for 2 or mabye 4 only.

In my own training i have also used alluminium knives and occassionally a real knife with the edge taken off which IMO give a different perspective to the training as it changes the way i think about the drills and adds to the fun :D

4. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

In that case I would suggest that you look at companies selling filipino martial arts gear, as they will tend to sell knives made of hardwood, rather than a varnished pine, they look more like real knives and are a bit more hard wearing as well.

I have a contact number for somebody that sells gear like that, i'll PM / email it to you if your interested, I'll not put it on the forum as it would probaly be considered advertising as I know they guy that runs it

Neil

5. Gerry Casey

Thanks i would appreciate it.

6. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Gerry,

Check your PM

Neil