wooden dummy

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by archrival_keysi, Jun 16, 2006.

1. archrival_keysi

archrival_keysi Valued Member

i have been training in JKD (keysi) now for 9 years and am wanting to develop my trapping so i was going to get a wooden dumby but i havent a clue how much they should cost and where to get one from, could someone point me in the right direction please.

Also in the right direction dor drills that would be usful to increse speed and accuracy on them, i have fairly conditioned arms so thats not a problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

regards to everybody

2. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

the wooden dummy seems like a one man kata.
    the most important aspect of trapping is timing, something which a wooden dummy will not teach you.

train with a person.

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Not really. I attribute most of my trapping skills to my Wing Chun days and the wodden dummy form.

Make sure you understand that the dummy is used for correct technique (a good practiioner knows by the sound the arms make hitting the trunk, and how the arms go back and forth) not for conditioning or hard punches. You can go fast, but the object isnt to knock the arms off.

We had a guy break one of the arms and bring it up to our Sifu with the proudest look on his face. Nobody was impressed and he had to buy a new one.

Anyways, back on topic.

If you goto the great lion company ( http://www.woodendummy.net) or any other site, it will give you good estimates. I made my own trunk using guides I found on the internet. I bought the arms from a distributer, and I constructed the trunk using a telephone pole. You can also make it out of PVC, but u must make sure that you fill it with something, or the edges of the PVC will crack the arms of the dummy.

Anyways, good luck, hope this helped.

4. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

One of my students makes dummys, we have one at our academy. i find them really great, as they have sprung arms. i find it really usefull for not only dummy sets but also chi sau and cadena de mano. check out his web site: www.kinetics.me.uk

matt

5. archrival_keysi

cheers all much appreciated, i do train with people reguarly with trapping but i looking for that little bit extra when i cant train with someone i can train on the wooden dumby.

Again muchly apreciated from u all

Regards to everybody

6. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

7. archrival_keysi

Nice one mate will have a go at making one shoould be fun

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

to faster than you bruce lee spent alot of time towards the end of his life training on the dummy