Womens Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by DragonDude, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DragonDude

DragonDude New Member

Good or Bad Idea?

And what do people think of the fighers ' Lucia Rijker, Lalia Ali, etc?

2. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

What on earth do you mean, good or bad idea? that's like saying women's volleyball, good or bad idea? Of course it's a good idea. If you like to fight, fight. If you don't, don't. Watching lighter weight people fight is way more fun than watching heavyweights, they tear into each other way more.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Totally agree :) there's absolutely nothing wrong with women wanting to box.

It's certainly not something I would try and discourage women from doing if they wanted to.

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Specially if they box.

5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I agree women should have that option. Unfortunately in the state on New South Wales in Australia it is illegal for women to participate in public boxing matches, although thet can box in gyms. A professional boxer Holley Ferneley contested this in court on the basis that it was discrimination but the case was lost. It certainly seems like discrimination to me. FYI - the link to the case is
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/cth/federal_ct/2001/1740.html?query=^+boxing+nsw

6. Drunken Miss Ho

Wow, who new? I guess this question is more pertinent than I thought

7. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Odd Question, I say, "Whatever floats yer boat" "Whatever trips yer trigger"

kfg

8. Jamo2

Whatever tickles your pickle.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

There are two young girls who train at the same boxing club as me; they put much more effort in that some of the lads there so I don't see how or why someone should think they shouldn't be allowed to compete if they so desired.

10. Drunken Miss Ho

Looks like you folks in Australia have a lack luster government just like here in the US! Just listen to this drivel taken from that court case-

"Under this legislation, women will not be allowed to fight as boxers or kick boxers, amateur or professional. Part of the reason is that the spectacle of women attacking each other is simply not acceptable to a majority of people in our community. It may be said that people do not have to go along and watch such spectacles. However, the Government is unwilling to condone behaviour that is unacceptable by community standards. In addition, on the advice available to the government, it would appear that women are more at risk from this kind of sport than men. I have received advice from the State branch of the Australian Sports Medicine Federation which says, in part:
    `Special risks for women appear to be associated with injury to the reproductive organs and, in particular, to a potential risk to an unborn foetus if a women were pregnant at the time of her involvement in a boxing match.' "

OK, that first part is just inane, but using boxing while pregnant as an excuse? If a woman is dumb enough to box while pregnant, she's not really smart enough to raise a child! On the damage to the reproductive organs bit, who says all women even want to have children? If they want to screw up their body it's their own choice. jeez...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  11. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Nobody seem bothered about damage to men, do they? :(

12. Drunken Miss Ho

You're right, that's very unfair!

13. seikido

seikido New Member

I'm curious about this part: "Part of the reason is that the spectacle of women attacking each other is simply not acceptable to a majority of people in our community".
    Did they take a poll? What evidence do they have that supports this statement?

14. Drunken Miss Ho

Good point Seikido! I think you could safely say a rather large portion of American society is in fact enamored by the "cat fight," so much so that we've coined that stupid term for it. Women fighting each other and men is all over tv, why is it okay when it's Pam Anderson doing it on VIP but not in real life?

15. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Strangely enough because of a loophole in the law women can compete in Thai Boxing and other martial arts in NSW.

Yes Ghost Frog, it seems men are not considered to have reproductive organs.

16. speedbag

speedbag Valued Member

17. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Those laws sound like a vestige of former times. Sexist malarkey is the term used nowadays. If a woman wants to box, she shoud box. Why stop her?

Besides, women who box are hot. :D . And even if they weren't women boxing would still be cool. :D But they are hot :D

18. Jamo2

Nor, theres quite a lot of them that have probably released too much testosterone into their bodys and are now boobless and on the brink of manhood :eek:

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Don't need testosterone to be energetic. Oestrogen does the trick very nicely thankyou. And boobs are mostly a body fat thing. Hence mine are large. ;)

20. Jamo2

No your right you dont. But you tend to see women who participate in combat sports or anything similar having small boobs. Thought it would be the slight increase in testosterone with the aggressiveness needed etc.

you have large boobs?.....How you doing? :cool:

Just kidding BTW!